Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2024, 04:57 PM   #21
NH_Bulldog

I guess one could always just do this if they didn’t want to worry about a 30 lb tote destroying their 300 lb capacity ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	914.2 KB
ID:	46254  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 07:42 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I guess one could always just do this if they didn’t want to worry about a 30 lb tote destroying their 300 lb capacity ladder.

Now that's an excellent idea! Only thing better would be to strap it on with one end of the tube at the top of the ladder and the other at the bottom so the tube could be drained while going down the road. That may or may not be an irritant to those behind you depending on what was left in the tube....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:34 AM   #23
GlasNav

sourdough: Couldn't resist!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	34
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	46258  

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:05 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Exactly. There is NO way that happened without the poster backing into something, or someone backing in to them. Impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Sorry, but the laws of physics still apply here, and the tote hanging on the ladder did not do that, no way, no how. It is clearly from an impact, either you backing into something, or someone hitting or backing into the back of your camper whether you knew it or not.
I agree, if it was weight, the ladder would be pulled out at the top, and pushed I. At the bottom.
To the OP, did you stop along the way for lunch? Camp 6 maybe?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #25
Odie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I agree, if it was weight, the ladder would be pulled out at the top, and pushed I. At the bottom.
To the OP, did you stop along the way for lunch? Camp 6 maybe?
No, was a straight drive home. Didn't put the rig in reverse a single time until the trailer was unloaded at the house. No damage on the tank either no scratches, dents, or buckling. I get it, sure looks like something pressed into it and pushed it straight back. Other than the strap being slightly looser than when I started nothing else appeared even slightly damaged. I just know I'll refrain from hanging the tank there when traveling.

The hanging hose image was cute though.
Odie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:43 AM   #26
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
sourdough: Couldn't resist!
Robert, where do you think Cousin Eddie and Catherine dumped the tanks in Las Vegas Vacation?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:20 AM   #27
jasin1

Ok…just one more thing….i’m gonna just throw something out there for the sake of discussion… Wind Buffeting and Oscillation..….Now hear me out before you change the channel!….what if the weight of the tank on a already compromised ladder combined with the strap being ratcheted too tight initially, caused the metal ladder to deflect ..because…( now stay with me)…the tank doesn’t sit flush to the ladder, but the person ratcheting may have thought it should so they cranked down hard….Now going down the highway creates wind turbulence and buffeting which caused the tank to oscillate and that with the sun warming the metal up caused metal fatigue…because of the station wagon effect that translated into pushing towards the front of the rv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3921.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	46262  
Old 02-18-2024, 06:46 AM   #28
GlasNav

Jasin1: So, your theory is that if the tank strap was overtightened at some time and the ladder tubing was initially weakened. On a subsequent trip, the strap wasn't as tight and slight freedom of motion amplified as the tubing failed due to the tank movement hammering / peening process thus reshaping the ladder to conform to the shape of the tank?
What are the odds?
I will continue to hang our tank on the ladder using two straps as always, one middle, one lower with a wrap under the ladder treads, no movement and it has traveled like that for thousands of miles. "This Is The Way"

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-18-2024, 09:21 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

In reference to the bent up ladder carrying the tote;

Odie says it was a straight shot home with no stops so being hit by something is not in the picture. I've never seen that kind of damage to an RV ladder but I have seen all kinds of other things - enough to make me think anything is possible with those flimsy things. How that happened? I don't really know but looking at the pics it does seem some kind of force was pushing the tank forward and I do know if I put anything in the bed of my truck it will be against the cab in short order so that force is there.

Those ladders aren't good for much and I certainly won't ever use mine to climb on. I did it once and it bent. A tech at the dealership did once and it bent (I told them to use a ladder from then on). I think I even looked hard at it once and it bent (joke). My ladder is used only as a decoration and a mtce. item for me to tighten screws on now and then - I would never put anything weighing more than a feather on it. I do use the top handles when I place my A frame ladder next to it to access the roof but you have to be careful or they will bend too - (dealer tech did that as well).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:19 PM   #30
CBears

I wasn’t comfortable attaching it to my ladder so I bought the bumper mount for it. Haven’t hauled it on my new cougar yet but took several trips with it on my old jayco.

https://a.co/d/fdmd8T7
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4106.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	46267  
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:23 PM   #31
GlasNav

CBears: That looks easier to access than the ladder method. Keep us apprised as to how well it works. Balancing the tote over my head to hook the ladder rung and then strapping it down in the cold wind can be uncomfortable.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #32
CBears

Quote:
CBears: That looks easier to access than the ladder method. Keep us apprised as to how well it works. Balancing the tote over my head to hook the ladder rung and then strapping it down in the cold wind can be uncomfortable.
It worked great on the jayco. Several trips including some bumpy roads in Colorado. Bumper on the cougar is closer to the back of the trailer so I will probably put a towel between tote and the wall but other than that should be the same. Still have to lift the tote but less precarious than on the ladder IMHO.
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 07:20 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Not to mention the "drip, drip, gush" when you lift it over your head and discover the outlet cap isn't fully tightened and that last cup of "tank contents" trickles out on your shoulder.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder, tank