Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2024, 07:51 AM   #1
James R Moneypenny

Specifications for replacement wheel lug nuts

Lost a tire and wheel and have found a perfect replacement, thanks to info fellow forum members provided. Now I want to replace the lug nuts with something that looks like the original. I have a 2017 Avalance 320R, tires are 16/85/radial 14 ply rating and it is an 8 lug wheel. Given the critical nature of tires/wheels I don't want to grab something offthe shelf at Auto Zone.

Appreciate any info.

thnx

James & Bonnie Moneypenny
Little Rock, AR
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:11 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Lug nuts are unique on some trailers and won't fit other trailers. You need to take one of your lug nuts (if the wheel you bought is identical to the other wheels) to a KNOWLEDGEABLE RV parts center and have them match what is already on your trailer.

Why ??? Lugs are a specific length, the wheel "lug angle" is specific to that design wheel. wheel thickness in the lug area means that there is a possibility that the lug nut will be too short to tighten around (into) the "lug angle" before the other end of the threads close at the other end of the nut.

As an example, if the wheel has a 27 degree bevel to seat the lug nut and you use lug nuts with a 35 degree bevel, you won't have good "metal to metal contact" for the lug nut to tighten against the wheel bevel.

Another example: If you have aluminum wheels that are 7/16" thick at the lug space and your trailer has closed face lug nuts, if you install a steel spare on the hub, should the steel wheel be 1/4" space, then you risk the closed lug nut being potentially 3/16" too short to reach the wheel bevel.

So, not only do you need lug nuts that are the correct thread diameter and thread spacing, the lug nuts need to have the correct "wheel lug bevel" and, if they are "closed end lug nuts" they also need to be the correct length so they can properly seat into the wheel and provide the correct tension to hold the wheel in place.

I'd recommend taking one of your other lug nuts to a KNOWLEDGEABLE RV parts dealer and have them match it, either from their stock or special order replacements for you.

As a personal experience, I twisted a lug nut off (the lug broke) several years ago while on a trip "out west". We were literally in the middle of South Dakota cornfields on a Sunday morning. There were no RV parts stores within a reasonable distance and no open auto parts stores. When I finally found an open RV dealership on Monday, they had nothing even close to a replacement lug length or a nut to fit it with a closed space. I wound up with a different length lug and an open faced lug nut with the correct bevel to install in the broken lug's space. I ran like that for almost a thousand miles until I found a Camping World in Dallas/Ft Worth that had the correct parts in stock. I lost count after stopping at around 25 or 30 parts stores and trailer supply houses looking for "the correct size lug nut that came from Keystone on my trailer" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:25 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You might also try a tire/wheel store. I've never used a place like Discount Tire for something like that but encountered a similar situation, took the lug nut to the local tire repair store and they ordered them for me. Had 6 lug wheels at the time so ordered 25.....I have no idea why and now I have 8 lug wheels and different lug nuts....have no idea where those 24 are hiding....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote