Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
FRANANDTOMMY

30 amp portable surge guard

it was recommend that we buy a 30 AMP portable surge guard. We usually camp in a state or county park....
any comments regarding this. ???
FRANANDTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
KJcachers

This is the number 1 item on top of my to do list. Always good to be protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Jim W

I would recommend one. I have the 50 AMP portable surge protector with the lockable cover between the power cord and surge protector.

My Wife and I were down in VA two years ago when the campground power supply was struck by a lightning bolt during a thunderstorm. Will the surge protector shut off the power to the camper and save everything in the camper TV, Microwave, AC and such. The other two fivers next to me lost everything do to the power surge. One of them asked how come I didn’t lose my electronic stuff I just pointed to the surge protector and said that is what saved my electronic items.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

FRANANDTOMMY -
I purchased a portable TRC 30A Surge Guard (Model No. 44740) for somewhere around $85-$90 and made a cable lock for it. While it doesn't offer the range of protection that a more expensive, hard-wired one does, it is better than not having one at all.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
michael

Ive never owned one but i see folks with creative ways to lock them up.

I spoke with an electrician friend at the campsite we were at,

And he had one and it was locked up all diferant ways,
as im sitting here reading and thinking that he paid i think it was 300 too 500

For this device and a few dollars for the locking stuff, Im woundering if i should just call my insurance agent and see what my protection is on lightning,

Maybe if i dont have it already it may only cost a few extra dollars a year.

Or maybe if its a hot item keystone could build them right into the unit.

I like less things to think obout, i need more time around the campfire with friends and less time setting up and and locking things down,

Maybe campgrounds should have to post the theft and vandilism at there sites then we can choose if we can leave our doors unlocked or hire security when we stay there

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
MIKEPATC

I have a 30 amp Portable Surge Guard unit with lock that I am no longer using. I hard wired a Progressive Industries EMS in my Travel Trailer last summer.

E-mail (Private Message) me if you are interested. I am sure we came agree on an excellent price.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Bigsky3625

I have a 30 amp. and 50 amp. portable protector. Checks voltage, open, amps., etc. Would never plug in our trailer without one. Do you use one on your electronics at home? Bet you do. So why wouldn't you use one on your trailer?
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
sandy43

I would certainly recommend some type of protection. I have the Progressive SSP50 Smart Surge. You can also get this in a 30 amp (SSP30). Their inexpensive and appears to work ok. Been using it for several years. I also check the elect outlet with a meter before I plug in, makes me feel better.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEPATC View Post
I have a 30 amp Portable Surge Guard unit with lock that I am no longer using. I hard wired a Progressive Industries EMS in my Travel Trailer last summer.

E-mail (Private Message) me if you are interested. I am sure we came agree on an excellent price.
Sent u a message
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
floatflyer

Surge Guard

I have a 30 amp Surge Guard but there is no obvious provision for locking it up as theft protection. I would be very interested in hearing what others have done to secure them.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

As I indicated in my previous post in this thread, I fashioned a cable-type locking device which is secured to either the electric supply box or the post. Its cheap and easy to make and will deter a thief - not stop one who really wants the Surge Guard. Send me a PM if you are interested and I can email you a photo of it.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
MikeL

You will not regret purchasing a surge guard. HIGHLY recommend it. And specifically recommend the progressive industries line. I use a hard wired since I'm at a seasonal site And these things are expensive and easy to walk away with. But if you didn't want to hardware one in (takes an hour to do and an hour if research prior To Install), I'd recommend a portable version. The only time is worry about a portable being stolen is if you are gone for long periods of time without many neighbors around....

Why I recommend is because campground power grids seem to have lots of failures compared to regular residential. Last summer 6 sites in my row got a 240v jolt when the ground went bad. Various folks lost various things including: microwave, refrigerator, ceiling fan, popped light bulbs and a tv. It can happen anywhere at anytime!

Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
davidjsimons

Y'all have scared me half to death. I just bought one. Being new to this group, one can learn a lot from those who have been there, done that and have the t-shirts to prove it. Thanks guys!
I never thought about the need for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Outbackmel

Soooo?

If you hard wire a surge protector for 50amps, and should happen to be in a campground with 30amp; and you are properly connected, will it prevent a surge?
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
MikeL

Lots of folks have survived without them too. Just think of it as insurance. You are protected from the hassle and cost of replacing components should you be unlucky enough to plug into a site that had issues or a surge or lightning strike....

Many others roll the dice and plenty will end up just fine... But the ones who have 'been there done that', will tell you it's worth the small cost to avoid the hassle again. It's basically a preventative measure... Each person has to weigh the cost vs benefit and decide. Just glad you learned the pros Nd cons and could make your decision before you had to learn the hard way.

My opinion is I'd like to see them standard on RV's. cost is so minimal....

Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #16
Outbackmel

Ditto

If not standard, at least an option, dealer installed, with discussion of benefits versus risk. You only have to have this experience once and you are a believer.
I will be hard wiring mine soon. I would drive off and leave a portable one behind unless I chain it to my body with one of those reel dog leashes...
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
I will be hard wiring mine soon. I would drive off and leave a portable one behind unless I chain it to my body with one of those reel dog leashes...
How can you say that you would leave the surge protector behind?
When I shut off the circuit breaker to pull the power cord out the first thing to be removed is the surge protector. This is then un-locked from the power cord and put in its storage box in the basement. The lock and cover are placed in the electrical container along with the other electrical items that are needed such as cable for cable TV, if the campground offers cable. I then wipe down the power cord and wrap up the cord putting it away next.

This is all part of breaking camp and I follow this procedure with the DW checking the checklist to make sure everything has been completed. We also do a walk around to check the site just before pulling out to insure nothing is amiss.

Just my ways from camping for over 50 years, my boy scouts leader always had us police up the area before we left the campground. I guess just a carryover practice of mine.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
W.E.BGood

This is what I got for our 250RS...first time out with it at a State Park that we frequent it saved us from a significant low voltage drop overnight.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
FRANANDTOMMY

30 amp surge guard

We picked up our surge guard and lock yesterday at the parts store where we bought our TT. Got a 25% discount off of list price. Also picked up some general chemicals.

Going to a local campground (near Ft. Myers Beach) next weekend until after Christmas to try out the TT.
Will then find out if there is anything else we need before our first trip to Daytona in January

Moderator's Note: Please post your question about RV wash&wax and awning repellent in the Repair & Maintenance section. Thank you.
FRANANDTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #20
Bob Landry

While the plug-in surge protector is better than nothing, the 30A Progressive EMS is only another $150 online. Considering the tens of thousands of dollars you spend on a truck and trailer, gas to travel and all of the expenses associated with that, it's just cheap insurance to have everything covered with a device that protects you against all of the electrical hazards and can't be stolen. Replacing one circuit board in a furnace, air conditioner, or refrigerator will deplete the "savings" of not buying the best protection you can get. The same can be said about a good water pressure regulator(Watts vs Camco), but there are still a lot of hard lessons out there to be learned. Think of it like this, what you spend on one weekend at your favorite campground would probably cover the cost. Good Luck..
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote