Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Barry

Tie downs

OK, well the camper got delivered today!! We got it all set up and leveled up on some blocks. Its level side to side and front to rear. Its not however tied down, at least not yet.

I have some screw in mobile home anchors that I plan to put in probably this weekend. The plan is to screw them in the ground then just drop a piece of chain over the frame them bolt it to the anchors. I'm thinking one anchor on each side of the "A" frame that makes up the tounge. And another around the arms that come out the back for the bumper.

My question is this, does that sound like a reasonable plan. And, is it even nessary? They said the camper is just a hair over 10,000 pounds, and I see a lot smaller ones without tie downs.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
GaryWT

I have heard of tie downs for the awning but not the trailer. What type of weather do you have there? In New England I have never seen it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
TAZ23

Interesting concept, but we keep our trailer on a seasonal site and I have never seen a trailer anchored to the ground. Every one in our camp ground just puts them on blocks or uses screw jacks and leaves it that way.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
OK, well the camper got delivered today!! We got it all set up and leveled up on some blocks. Its level side to side and front to rear. Its not however tied down, at least not yet.

I have some screw in mobile home anchors that I plan to put in probably this weekend. The plan is to screw them in the ground then just drop a piece of chain over the frame them bolt it to the anchors. I'm thinking one anchor on each side of the "A" frame that makes up the tounge. And another around the arms that come out the back for the bumper.

My question is this, does that sound like a reasonable plan. And, is it even nessary? They said the camper is just a hair over 10,000 pounds, and I see a lot smaller ones without tie downs.
Considering doing this because your putting it at a permanent site?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
Barry

Tax, that's what I thought too. But the DW would feel "more secure" if it was tied down.

And yes, its on out lake lots. Going to be a weekend place for us. No plans on moving it.

Oh, by the way, its a 2011 Keystone Hideout 38BHDS.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Tax, that's what I thought too. But the DW would feel "more secure" if it was tied down.

And yes, its on out lake lots. Going to be a weekend place for us. No plans on moving it.

Oh, by the way, its a 2011 Keystone Hideout 38BHDS.
Mobile homes are required to be tied down in most places. But here's the rub. Mobile homes are built from the ground up to used with these fasteners. They have frames and framing that are designed to work with the tie downs to keep the trailer intact and on the ground in a high wind situation. Travel trailers are not built this way and it's unlikely that the tie downs would give you the protection that you might expect from them.

Go talk to a reputable mobile home dealer who sells and installs them. RV dealers have no knowledge about this. The MH dealer should have some factual info for you to help you decide if you want to go the effort of installation.

The rear bumper mounts are only spec'd for 200#. If you go through with this, find a place to grab the main frame back there and not the flimsy bumper arms.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Barry

Sounds like good advise Steve, thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
mhs4771

Check with the camp ground. Some require tie downs for permanent sites while others it's a no no. So check first.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote