Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
lachristopher

Need HELP!

Got waylayed in Oregon from Alaska due to husband becoming critically ill. Bought a 3500 Ram dually and a 31' Keystone Cougar. Have driven 27
rv's before, but never pulled anything like this. Have all new towing equipment, but don't know the first thing about hitching up or towing. Can someone give me some basic clues? We need to move from one spot in our rv part to another and I don't know if I can even do that. My husband is still ill and can't even get out and spot me. HELP!
lachristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

lachristopher,

to the forum and to the Keystone family. It sounds like you may have found yourself in a "pickle" but fear not, someone here will help guide you through your issues. First though, you didn't say if your Cougar is a "bumper hitch" type trailer or a fifth wheel. There are some differences in how they hitch and pull. Also, if you have it or can get it, the name brand and model hitch will be useful since you're probably going to have questions about how to adjust or maintain it.

Again, welcome to the forum, give us a little more information and I'm sure you'll get help.

Good luck to you and your husband, we send you best wishes and hope for a speedy recovery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
x96mnn

How big is the park where you are at?

Reason I ask is for option A

A: RV parks are usually more them full of know it all, ( no offence to anyone at all), drivers are more then willing to prove their knowledge and ability. I would almost be certain you would find someone willing to do it for you.

B: If not we need a little more info. Lets start with camper model number.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
lachristopher

Thanks for the quick reply. The model is a 294RLS; it is a ball hitch; the weight distribution 'stuff' was new and included with the trailer from the dealer so I will have to contact them to see what it is. The park is rather small. We've been here since last June and still haven't found a friendly camper. I should post my plea on the laundry room bulletin board and see what shakes out - eh?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

If your move to another spot in the RV park isn't urgent, could you find some other camper in the park who has a travel trailer and ask for some assistance? You may have to take the initiative and approach the owner/camper and explain your situation to him. I can't imagine anyone not willing to come to your aid and help you out.
Having someone there to actually show you what you need to do and help you get hitched up would be the best route.

What about going to the manager of the park to see if he/she can get assistance for you? That's part of the manager's job I would think and; in your case, something that can't be refused.

We would be very willing to help you but if you can get assistance from someone in the park, that would be the easiest and probably the quickest way to get your problem solved. Keep in touch.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
x96mnn

I would post a msg in the laundry room for sure but if they are not friendly they may try and charge you for their service.

That camper loaded up is 9500pds max so depending on how far you have to move it you may not need to worry about the WD part of the hitch. I am thinking you could drop it on that truck ball and not worry about it. Can you snap some photos of the back of the truck and the trailer hitch and post them or email them? As well how far do you have to move it?
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
f6bits

With a 3500 Ram Dually, I wouldn't even bother with the weight distribution stuff. If you can get the hitch on the ball and connect the plug, you'd be good to go as long as the weight distribution stuff isn't dangling all over the place.

I'm sure someone here will jump all over me if this is a really stupid idea, but this is how I move my trailer from my storage slot to the wash area a hundred feet away.

If luck is really on your side maybe someone here is in your local area and would be willing to help. What part of Oregon?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
lachristopher

The WD isn't hooked up at this point. The move is just around a corner (a rather tight one). The manager (as with the campers) isn't the friendliest around, but I will check with him and post in the laundry room as well. Have until the 26th of March. We are in Eugene, OR, right across the Wilamette River from Springfield. Thanks again for everyone's help. Will re-post if I can't find help and need you guys!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
fla-gypsy

Approach any camper with a TT in the CG and I am certain they will assist you
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
jsmith948

You might ask the park mgr and/or search the phone book and internet for an RV storage facility. I'm thinking of a campground or storage facility that offers a trailer moving/set-up service. (There are some of these on the central Cal coast where people can store their RVs and then arrange to have the unit set-up at the campground when needed). These folks would have the equipment and knowledge needed to move your rig. FWIW - just thinking out loud. Good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Badboy

If the people there are not very friendly it might be time to find another campground.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You might ask the park mgr and/or search the phone book and internet for an RV storage facility. I'm thinking of a campground or storage facility that offers a trailer moving/set-up service. (There are some of these on the central Cal coast where people can store their RVs and then arrange to have the unit set-up at the campground when needed). These folks would have the equipment and knowledge needed to move your rig. FWIW - just thinking out loud. Good luck
Perhaps a towing company near by could help. I can not imagine someone at the campground not being willing to help though. Deep down inside, people are good, you just have to dig a bit deeper on some compared to others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
gkainz

Posting on RV.net will reach a wider audience and they're just as nice a bunch if folks there - many on both sites. Good luck, wish I was closer.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Just about every CG I have stayed at has had some type of equipment they use to move or park trailers (Tractor or bucket loader or Bobcat) They are usually more than happy to help because they don't want inexperienced drivers causing damage in their park. Most will do it as a service but it only takes them a few minutes and if they charge it should be minimal. A couple of bucks to the worker who does it is always good especially if you plan to stay awhile. Good luck and let us know the outcome, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
dandjh1958

Is your husband in the hospital in Springfield? Sacred Heart? If so, they have free hookups for trailers in their parking lot. My granddaughter was in that hospital for weeks do to premature labor. We stayed in my popup in the parking lot to save $$ while we waited for baby to mature enough to be delivered.
Just electricity and water hook up- no sewer but price was right.

I live in Salem and can come down and try to help pull you somewhere close. I don't have too much experience hooking up and pulling bigger trailers but we have a 27 foot trailer I've pulled a couple times by myself.
I'm sure we can get it done!!
Let me know
Julie
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
Onthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachristopher View Post
The WD isn't hooked up at this point. The move is just around a corner (a rather tight one). The manager (as with the campers) isn't the friendliest around, but I will check with him and post in the laundry room as well. Have until the 26th of March. We are in Eugene, OR, right across the Wilamette River from Springfield. Thanks again for everyone's help. Will re-post if I can't find help and need you guys!
I live about two miles from you. If you give me your site # I can come over and help you. I get back from Church about 12:30 today. If you want to PM me I'll will be home all day.

2012 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7 - V8
2012 Keystone Cougar 25RLSWE - 30'
Onthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove View Post
I live about two miles from you. If you give me your site # I can come over and help you. I get back from Church about 12:30 today. If you want to PM me I'll will be home all day.
Class act!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Thumbs up

Onthemove & dandjh1958

..... A great example of how our members help one another. I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

dandjh1958 and Onthemove. It warms every heart reading your responses to know that people as kind and helpful as you have been are on this forum. Like davidjsimons said, deep down inside, people are good. The two of you just made that crystal clear.

THANK YOU BOTH

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
michol02

There's some awesome people on this forum.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote