Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Trinibob

Bumper warranty?

Well had my dealer put a bumper reciver on my bumper for a bike rack two trips later both welds by the bumper mounts at the frame have cracked!! I almost lost the bumper!!
Is this bumper rated to hold two bikes?????
Should my dealer have installed it knowing my intent.
Picks

2013 hidout 31' dsbh

https://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...20the%20years/
Trinibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure what a "bumper recover" is but the bumper is not designed to carry the spare tire and two bikes. At best, it is probably barely capable of carrying the spare tire. There are plenty of threads and posts here about bikes and bike racks and what members have done to modify and strengthen the bumper so that it can safely carry a couple of bikes. Check the Modifications and Upgrades section of the forum or do a search on bicycle racks using the search feature. This topic has been thoroughly discussed previously so there is plenty of information already here on the forum for you to read.

I am not sure if the bumper has a rating or carrying capacity. While cracks and failed welds are not that common, they do happen.

If you instructed your dealer to install a bike rack directly to the bumper without any additional reinforcement, then you can't really fault the dealer for carrying out your instructions. He probably isn't aware that the bumper isn't meant to support much weight - especially when you're going down the road and the rear - and bumper - and bikes - are bouncing up and down.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Trinibob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
He probably isn't aware that the bumper isn't meant to support much weight - especially when you're going down the road and the rear - and bumper - and bikes - are bouncing up and down.
My intent was to put a bike rack in the reciver mount they mounted on the bumper of the trailer they sold me if a dealer doesn't think a bumper will hold I think I should of at least been told it would fail and given the chance to beef it up!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
f6bits

I doubt that warranty would cover it. Even so, since you seem to have a need to attach a bike rack, so now's the time to beef it up – warranty work won't get you what you want. Find a good trailer/weld shop to do the work.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

The receiver should not have been mounted directly to the bumper without any other additional support or reinforcement. The receiver would have been far better off had it be welded or bolted onto the frame or somehow attached to the frame by supports.

Some dealers are more aware of these types of things while others, such as the one you have, are not really clued in.

At least the crack was found early and did not cause any damage to your bikes or more importantly, to others who were behind you had it come apart and fell off.

In short, the bike receiver should be welded or bolted in some fashion to the RV frame.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
theeyres

Don't think the warranty will be valid because this was a dealer add on--Keystone isn't going to cover that. However, if you are dealing with a reliable dealer who wants to keep their reputation they may be willing to work with you to do it right--attaching it to the frame.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Robby9

It is the dealer's job to know which modifications are safe and unsafe. It doesn't matter if the dealer didn't know mounting the receiver on was a bad idea, he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

It's common knowledge to RV enthusiasts that the bumpers are barely strong enough to hold a spare tire and a sewer hose. The dealer is guilty of professional negligence, in my opinion.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinibob View Post
Well had my dealer put a bumper reciver on my bumper for a bike rack two trips later both welds by the bumper mounts at the frame have cracked!! I almost lost the bumper!!
Is this bumper rated to hold two bikes?????
Should my dealer have installed it knowing my intent.
Picks

2013 hidout 31' dsbh
The weld did not break. It looks like the bumper metal tore apart. I would think it would take a lot of weight on the bumper to do that. I would be checking the welds all around the bumper. Take it to a small weld shop and have it welded. You can reinforce the joint all you want but the bumper will never be stronger the thickness of the bumper.

Remember, jarring weight is much more then static weight. Just the same concept of jumping on something VS standing on it.

BTW I have been a fitter welder and weld inspector for almost 30 years.

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Trinibob

Did not think truthfully it was a good install and was going to beef it up but damm two trips!!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
f6bits

What I find interesting is that there are those two L brackets butting the bumper to the support, and they appear to do nothing, like they're not welded to the bumper.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
What I find interesting is that there are those two L brackets butting the bumper to the support, and they appear to do nothing, like they're not welded to the bumper.
They're welded.. you look real hard and you can see it.

Them bumpers ain't but 20ga maybe 22ga they ain't gonna hold up much.

Cut it off and get a piece of 4" square 1/4" wall welded on there..
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
CincyGus

I see two options. You can go back to the dealer and try to guilt him into doing it properly by beefing up and welding to the frame or you can go to a welding/trailer shop and have someone that knows the proper way to do it and have it done right.

The thickness of that metal they call a bumper is nothing more than a cover and not meant to have any structural supporting qualities. Have them make a good bumper out of stronger material and weld it to the frame with your receiver on it and be done with it.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Bob Landry

I would forget the warranty aspect of it and just find a reputable welding shop to fabricate a bumper from thick wall steel tubing. Keystone's typical response is that the bumper is rated to support 200 lbs. That can easily be exceeded with a receiver hitch and two bikes putting leverage on it as it bounces down the road. I had my bumper reinforced and carry a spare tire on it along with an aluminum diamond tread box that contains air compressor, wooden pads, hoses, power cords, and x-chocks. Total coast was around $200 and well worth it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Trinibob

Done going tomorrow for repair and fab of a support from bumper to frame 100.00 out of my pocket camper place has not called me back.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Robby9

Bob L,

Can you post a pic of your bumper mod and box? That sounds like something I'd like to have done. I hate putting everything in the front pass thru when the beast is already somewhat tongue heavy.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Bob Landry

The trailer came with a receiver bike rack bolted to the frame that was pretty much useless to me. The long black object on the left side of the first photo is a long piece of 1/4" square tubing that is cut to fit between the frame I-beams and is welded to the bumper in two places, making the bumper supported in four places. The box is carrying quite a bit of weight, but it is basically over the bumper and is not exerting a leverage type force on the bumper

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Trinibob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby9 View Post
Bob L,

Can you post a pic of your bumper mod and box? That sounds like something I'd like to have done. I hate putting everything in the front pass thru when the beast is already somewhat tongue heavy.
This is how the finished project will look

Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
fla-gypsy

The bumper on my Keystone Hornet was rated at 200 lbs of static weight and that information was in the owners manual with warnings about overloading it. Forget the warranty idea, it's not going to happen. Also, how was the dealer to know how much weight you were going to put on it? If you place more than a spare tire carrier supplied by the manufacturer on the bumper without additional support it will most likely fail.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Trinibob

thanks for all the input on this I know its my fault thinking that bumper would be all right hauling two bikes for a few hundred miles on a two foot long bike rack. just am not impressed with the build of this unit as of now with the leak in the slide out and loose ground wire on the water heater so far the used 2003 cardinal is I had is beating this unit GRRRR.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Robby9

BobL, thanks. That box looks great. Now I have find a good welding shop to do the same for me.