Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
barchak

Towing capacity concern

Hello. I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4WD 5.7L V8 FF and a 2013 Laredo 303TG. I just got the trailer about 3 weeks ago. I took it to the CAT Scales this weekend and I have a concern about the weights. Given the below weigh-in and truck ratings, I think I am over Tundra's capacity. The parameter I am most concerned about is the GVWR of the Tundra. I was surprised to see the truck with tongue weight at 7,000 lbs. This is with no one in the truck. If I add myself, wife, two kids and dog this will put me at about 7,600 lbs.

I have had the trailer out for several trips 1-2 hours away and the truck did very well. I was really pleased with how the truck responded to the trailer. My wife said she wanted to start bringing our bikes and this is when I started to get concerned about the added weight. I started looking closer at how much weight I could add. This is one of the reasons I took it out to weigh.

Now I am considering my options. I know I screwed this one up guys and it is going to end up costing me. I am not happy with myself and I am looking to get your thoughts on my situation. I did a lot of research before buying the trailer, but obviously not enough. I was most concerned with the max trailer capacity of the Tundra and the GCWR.

We love the trailer and it fits all of our needs. I am considering upgrading the truck to a Ford F-250 or Ram 2500.

Questions:
Am I way out of spec here with the Tundra?
Do I need a heavier WD spring set-up? 9000*0.15=1350 do I need 1400lbs springs?
Can I just replace the springs in the Eaz-Lift?

Here are the facts:

CAT Scales (no driver or passengers, trailer with about 4 gallons of antifreeze, 40 lbs LP, stocked with all travel items except clothes and food)
GVW Truck 7,000 lbs (truck axles only with tongue weight of trailer, full tank of gas)
GVW Trailer 6,900 lbs (trailer axles only connected to truck)
GCW 13,900 lbs (truck and trailer)

Tundra (with Reese electronic break control, towing package)
GCWR 15,300 lbs
GVWR 7,200 lbs
RGAWR 4,100 lbs
TAW 9,000 lbs

Eaz-Lift WD Hitch
1,000 lbs springs
10,000 lbs max tow

Laredo 303TG
GVWR 9000 lbs
UVW 7,420 lbs

Thank you,
Ed