Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 02:52 AM   #1
Lynfeet

New Full Timer

Hello All. We will be brand new to full time RV’ing. We are currently looking at getting the High Country 383 or the Raptor 427. Will have a Chevy/GMC 1ton. In the beginning we will not be moving around weekly as I am still tied to a desk. Looking to have solar, not sure how much yet as we do plan on boondocking. Any hints, advice about our planned purchase or if they are other’s better please suggest. We don’t want to overspend on the 5th wheel. Thank y’all
Lynfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum : wlcm:

If your going full time, take the time to make sure the units your looking at fit your needs, and I would definitely take time to actually sit in them, think about the daily activities and will that floor plan work.

Solar? That’s going to depend on available roof space, what your looking to power and budget.

What are the weight limits of your truck,looking at the tag in the drivers door.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Personally, I’ve never been a big fan of solar, it’s basically a trickle charger for the batteries (depending on use and what size system you install) it won’t run the TV, microwave, or AC. If you’re boondocking and want to use those systems, you will need a generator (inverter large enough to run these really isn’t practical since it requires so much battery power). I recommend a portable suitcase gen such as the Cummins 4500. One will run the TV, microwave, one AC, outlets for the coffee pot/hair dryer etc. would need two and a parallel kit to run both ACs, but if your plan was solar the ability to run one AC is still an upgrade. It’ll only cost you about $1000 for the gen.

As already mentioned, think about your daily activities. Make sure what you get is convenient for that. Stuff you do every now and then isn’t a big deal, things you do every day will make you love or hate your new home.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Hope you one ton is a dually. The Raptor is 19000 lbs and I can't imagine boon docking (aka traveling over dirt roads) with a 43' camper. BTW: Any reason for the toy haulers? You have ATVs or other that you want to ride out in the forest? Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
travelin texans

As mentioned spend some time sitting in each of your choices & image sitting there every day, is everything where you'd want it to be everyday. There are some things you can change/rearrange, but for the most part things are where they'll be forever.
As George mentioned either of those 5th wheels will definitely require a diesel dually to tow with for safety & power.
If you don't have toys to haul why the toyhauler? We thought the TH would be good as guest room & hobby room, but those that were available when we were shopping had the main living area so reduced to allow for garage that it felt very cramped/crowded with only the 2 us.
We also planned to boondock, but with a 38-40'+ state/national are not built to handle rigs this size not to mention after a couple weeks of boondocking the DW said "we're not on vacation anymore, get me to civilization". There are some awesome rv parks all across this great country with full hookups & close enough to about any place you'd want visit that you don't necessarily have to haul your home into it, manuevering in your tow vehicle will be much easier.
Be sure the setup you get has everything you want/need!
Having 2 & possibly 3 air conditioners in a rig the size you're looking at will be an absolute necessity if going to warm areas.
Unless you want to spend a couple hours a week sitting in a laundromat a washer/dryer, preferably stackable, will be needed.
Our last 5th had a drawer type dishwasher & what a great appliance.
Be sure you can access the bathroom & fridge without having to open a slide when stopping at rest areas.
Be sure the seating is good for both of you to watch tv, some have the chairs 90 degrees & 45 degrees looking up at the tv, this is very uncomfortable in about 10 minutes of watching. I know you're saying "we'll spend more time outdoors doing XYZ not indoors watching tv" & you will...........for a few weeks or after dark then you'll be inside watching tv.
We spent just over 10 years fulltiming, saw most of this country we cared to, met some great people several of which we still get together with & as for me I'd do it again tomorrow, but age as creeped up & it won't happen.
Sorry for the long winded post! Thought you might appreciate some details/ideas from someone that's BTDT!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Lynfeet

Looking at going full blown with the GM 1t dialysis. Can pull 34k not worried about the truck, I am going bigger than required. As far as solar, if I am anywhere I want to have the ability to use solar for everything. Looking at roughly 5k watts with 6k inverter, 6 deep cycle batteries. I want to be able to run all 3 AC’s and just about anything I want in the trailer at anytime. Good point on the “what I actually need”, I will reevaluate and may go smaller, try not to over engineer this.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Lynfeet

Hey, yup Motorcycles plus room for a small shop, I need to be able to ticker or have space to build small things,
Old 10-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Lynfeet

These are great points and we will be rethinking some of this. These TH are more of a Hybrid, the bed in the rear raises to allow room to go into the “so called garage” area in the back.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
Lynfeet

Thank you thank you for the feedback
Old 10-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynfeet View Post
Looking at going full blown with the GM 1t dialysis. Can pull 34k not worried about the truck, I am going bigger than required. As far as solar, if I am anywhere I want to have the ability to use solar for everything. Looking at roughly 5k watts with 6k inverter, 6 deep cycle batteries. I want to be able to run all 3 AC’s and just about anything I want in the trailer at anytime. Good point on the “what I actually need”, I will reevaluate and may go smaller, try not to over engineer this.
3 air conditioners on six batteries? They must be some batteries.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Best wishes getting 5000W to fit on the roof. Have you done the math? How long will 3 AC’s run on 6 deep cycle batteries?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
bsmith0404

As others have mentioned, roof space is going to be an issue getting enough solar to power everything. A 5000 watt inverter will kill batteries very quickly. When I transported, I used a 1000 watt full sign wave inverter to power my CPAP and electric sheets/blankets. It’d kill 3 group 24 batteries in about 7 hours. You would need a lot of solar to keep up with that type of draw. Not saying it can’t be done, but do some serious homework before you commit too much money.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynfeet View Post
Can pull 34k not worried about the truck, I am going bigger than required.
1 ton is a fine TV, but be aware hardly anyone runs out of the pull figure; what you run out of first is the payload figure. Check the orange sticker on the doorframe vs. your 5er pin weight.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:55 AM   #14
gearhead

A lot of people full time and are happy doing it. But, do you think you will be Ok living in basically a small hotel room with maybe a 400 square foot patio. True, you can get in your truck and go driving around everyday, but how long do you want to do that?
Not judging those that are good with it, but some of us aren't. Something to consider.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:43 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
1 ton is a fine TV, but be aware hardly anyone runs out of the pull figure; what you run out of first is the payload figure. Check the orange sticker on the doorframe vs. your 5er pin weight.

I have a one ton single rear axle and wouldn't think of pulling either of those campers as I would be over my payload. I have 4000 lbs payload capability. The payload placard looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	30343  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote