Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
Jpetrick

Hi from NC

Hello all,
New to forum but not to RVing, we used to rv a lot when our kids where younger then collage happened and had to put it on the back burner till they were all gone and out on their own.
Nows that time, recently purchased a 2005 3612ds raptor, my tv is a 2012 F450, and we plan on throwing the Harley in the back and enjoying when time allows.
Whenever I search I always see this forum listed and thought it was time I wasn’t just a freeloader, I’ve gotten so much good information from here and hopefully I can contribute back.
Peace!
Jpetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Gegrad

Welcome from a former NC resident living in PA!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Gary R.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Enjoy your travels in the Raptor, and ride that Harley as often as you can!

Take care.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpetrick View Post
Hello all,
New to forum but not to RVing, we used to rv a lot when our kids where younger then collage happened and had to put it on the back burner till they were all gone and out on their own.
Nows that time, recently purchased a 2005 3612ds raptor, my tv is a 2012 F450, and we plan on throwing the Harley in the back and enjoying when time allows.
Whenever I search I always see this forum listed and thought it was time I wasn’t just a freeloader, I’ve gotten so much good information from here and hopefully I can contribute back.
Peace!
Congratulations!
It nice to read that someone has bought a big rv & already has an appropriate tow vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 AM   #6
Chris P

Welcome from New Jersey, Enjoy that Raptor.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:45 AM   #7
Wing-in-it

Howdy and welcome from Virginia!

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #8
campfire

Welcome to the forum great people here and a lot info. Have fun enjoy.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #9
Camping family

Hello back at you from Jacksonville, Nc
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
Jpetrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Congratulations!
It nice to read that someone has bought a big rv & already has an appropriate tow vehicle.
Thanks, I was or am fortunate my tv is also my work vehicle and was or is already set up for heavy towing, we do a ton of mods on them, engine, drive train, suspension, hitch, we pretty much custom build the Tv’s we use.
We have 15 trailers all set up differently for equip and almost all are tandem duallys, we do have 2 40’ race type haulers and I can say for sure dragging one of those wind sails behind ya is a world of difference from the others. I travel a lot and can’t tell you how many 30-40 ft trailers I see behind 1/2 ton trucks.
I give them wide space when we encounter them on the highway, I would almost bet every one of those trucks gets traded in with a pucker print on the seat.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpetrick View Post
Thanks, I was or am fortunate my tv is also my work vehicle and was or is already set up for heavy towing, we do a ton of mods on them, engine, drive train, suspension, hitch, we pretty much custom build the Tv’s we use.
We have 15 trailers all set up differently for equip and almost all are tandem duallys, we do have 2 40’ race type haulers and I can say for sure dragging one of those wind sails behind ya is a world of difference from the others. I travel a lot and can’t tell you how many 30-40 ft trailers I see behind 1/2 ton trucks.
I give them wide space when we encounter them on the highway, I would almost bet every one of those trucks gets traded in with a pucker print on the seat.
So you're not new to towing large heavy loads either! Thank you for posting that there is a big difference towing RVs over most any other type of trailer, some think the "weight police" are full of it when we mention that fact.
SO many come on here that have bought a large rv because they have a "truck", may be a Toyota, Nissan, other 1/2 ton brands, but where most get in a bind is due to reading/listening to truck manufacturer advertising. Seems the Ford F150 must be advertised as a mighty tow beast with that whopping 3.5 V6, with a max tow weight rating far beyond what it could ever haul in rv form, is the one that most folks think they can "tow anything on the lot" with only to find they ain't got near enough "truck".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
So you're not new to towing large heavy loads either! Thank you for posting that there is a big difference towing RVs over most any other type of trailer, some think the "weight police" are full of it when we mention that fact.
SO many come on here that have bought a large rv because they have a "truck", may be a Toyota, Nissan, other 1/2 ton brands, but where most get in a bind is due to reading/listening to truck manufacturer advertising. Seems the Ford F150 must be advertised as a mighty tow beast with that whopping 3.5 V6, with a max tow weight rating far beyond what it could ever haul in rv form, is the one that most folks think they can "tow anything on the lot" with only to find they ain't got near enough "truck".
It's the "circle of life" of the RV owner.

"Happy Harry" (I'll call him HH) crawls out of the little car and into a 1/2 ton truck. HH saya "WOW this is huge! The salesman says it has a towing capacity of 10K pounds!"
Then HH goes to the RV salesman and he says " look at this beautiful 38' trailer, it only weights 9,990 lbs!"

Said new truck owner is now a new travel trailer owner. He's happy as a clam until that day. After he finishes picking the truck seat out of his seat it's back to the truck dealer. HH says "how can I fix this sway?!" Dealer says"We have a BRUTE of a truck that will tow 12,000 lbs!"

HH buys the 3/4 ton deisel and now he KNOWS he's king of the road. Soon HH thinks, "now I have this beast of a truck so let's go get that fifth wheel!"

Back to his favorite RV dealer. "now you can tow anything on the lot!" HH is convinced (after all, he's a big rig driver now) and goes for the 40' 12K fiver.

HH comes here to show off his new pride and joy and some nasty, single minded weight police points out that the "towing capacity" is actually irrelevant and it's the maximum load capacity he needs to look at. And by the way, that's empty weight that's on the web site, not the actual weight of the trailer.

Happy Harry is now "Hot under the collar Harry". Sometimes he goes to the weigh station, does some ciphering and gets angry at all the salesman.

Some times he gets angry with those that are concerned for his and everyone else's safety and he get's angry at the "weight police". That HH doesn't always act civil and it sometimes he will go out of control.

And life goes on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
Jpetrick

So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's the "circle of life" of the RV owner.

"Happy Harry" (I'll call him HH) crawls out of the little car and into a 1/2 ton truck. HH saya "WOW this is huge! The salesman says it has a towing capacity of 10K pounds!"
Then HH goes to the RV salesman and he says " look at this beautiful 38' trailer, it only weights 9,990 lbs!"

Said new truck owner is now a new travel trailer owner. He's happy as a clam until that day. After he finishes picking the truck seat out of his seat it's back to the truck dealer. HH says "how can I fix this sway?!" Dealer says"We have a BRUTE of a truck that will tow 12,000 lbs!"

HH buys the 3/4 ton deisel and now he KNOWS he's king of the road. Soon HH thinks, "now I have this beast of a truck so let's go get that fifth wheel!"

Back to his favorite RV dealer. "now you can tow anything on the lot!" HH is convinced (after all, he's a big rig driver now) and goes for the 40' 12K fiver.

HH comes here to show off his new pride and joy and some nasty, single minded weight police points out that the "towing capacity" is actually irrelevant and it's the maximum load capacity he needs to look at. And by the way, that's empty weight that's on the web site, not the actual weight of the trailer.

Happy Harry is now "Hot under the collar Harry". Sometimes he goes to the weigh station, does some ciphering and gets angry at all the salesman.

Some times he gets angry with those that are concerned for his and everyone else's safety and he get's angry at the "weight police". That HH doesn't always act civil and it sometimes he will go out of control.

And life goes on.
But the bad part is we have to share the road with them, so if I can help someone avoid that scenario I’m gladly offering.
That sail will push, pull, move, sway, almost anything put in front of it. Even my rig with all the mods and as heavy as it is (@10k) loaded it can be very challenging on a windy or breezy day.