Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
schrambo

We bring a portable radio
schrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:14 AM   #22
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I found mine coiled behind my radio. The radio is right next to an outside wall, so I installed a small outdoor boat antenna on the side of the trailer. Much better reception!
This looks just like the antenna that came on my 3731FL. That explains why I do get some stations but reception is still quite poor. So now I will not try to figure out how to pull my faceplate since there are no screws and antenna wire is likely connected already. I'll just stick with Iheart radio on my phone connected with Bluetooth.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
An example: the antenna on the trailer roof can be removed, even though the directions from Winegard say it cannot.

Do you have any tips for others who would like to do so? Do you have to shim a latch inside the stem with soda can aluminum or something?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #24
Scott in Michigan

LHaven,

The TV antenna is held to the post by a c-ring retaining clip that is actually a stiff wire about 1/16 inch in diameter. This retaining clip is held captive inside the female tube on the bottom of the TV antenna unit.

It snaps into a groove on the vertical post which is mounted to the trailer roof. The groove it traps in is about 3 inches up from the base of the post.

I just applied pressure and pulled upward on the bottom of the antenna housing and it released. It's not a very secure system. You need to expand the c-ring, so I can't see how one could do that with a shim. Imagine a c-ring retaining clip that is expanded to open it away from the groove it seats in, rather than compressing it.

Remember the coax is attached to the antenna amplifier unit by a short lead so don't use a lot of force. Just a sharp snap upward did it for removing my TV antenna.

Be sure to disassemble the antenna housing and check for broken solder connections on the inductors inside. T10 Torx bit.

Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #25
RFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcashdollar View Post
I’ve heard that the antenna wires may be coiled up behind the radio. How do I pull the radio to access them?
The radio just pulls out after pulling a few screws on the face. Yes, the Keystone supplied antenna is just a folded wire dipole tied up behind the radio. I have the same problem and am attempting to fix it, see my post today.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

The other side of the story is the radio's capability to use the signal. A great high gain antenna will not make a great radio out of a cheap piece of electronics. A good antenna will help just like better speakers will help the sound reproduction. The weakest link when corrected will reveal the "next to the weakest" link.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:39 AM   #27
jimborokz

I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The other side of the story is the radio's capability to use the signal. A great high gain antenna will not make a great radio out of a cheap piece of electronics. A good antenna will help just like better speakers will help the sound reproduction. The weakest link when corrected will reveal the "next to the weakest" link.
My weakest link is now my ears. My audiologist told me I'm now at the point where I don't need to spend high $ for audio equipment as I can't tell the difference anyway. Age does have some silver linings.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio