Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #21
mhbell

50 plus years of RVing Never used a cover

50 years of RVing never used a cover. I drive by all kinds of rv dealerships. have you ever seen one that covers there rv's? No and some rv's on a dealers lot use to set there sometimes for years. A good Wax or polish job each year will do more good than a cover.
just my 02 cents worth.
Mel
Old 12-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
pdaniel

Where in Utah? I lived in the northern part of the state and the winds will cause the cover to scuff the finish. I now live in the southwestern part of the state where the winds will destroy an expensive cover. My recommendation is good wax, clean your roof and not cover it. It’s interesting that many full-time and never cover but part timers want to cover. Just saying.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
Where in Utah? I lived in the northern part of the state and the winds will cause the cover to scuff the finish. I now live in the southwestern part of the state where the winds will destroy an expensive cover. My recommendation is good wax, clean your roof and not cover it. It’s interesting that many full-time and never cover but part timers want to cover. Just saying.
Kinda tricky to live in a camper full time with a cover.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #24
Canonman

We're in South Jordan, UT and yes the south wind does blow here as well. The Cougar is parked beside the house, facing west. This means the south side of the trailer along with the front cap is in the full sun most of the day. I can show that the cover has protected the finish and graphics from fading. It also has protected the exposed side and roof from excessive deterioration due to the winter weather. Other trailers stored without covers in our neighborhood have not faired as well. I have not seen any scuffing, abrasions or damage caused by the cover on this or our previous trailer. Our Cougar is stored this way for roughly 6 months out of the year. I do not cover during the summer camping season due to the hassle of installing and then removing it. I remain convinced that for us, covering during our extended off season, is a good idea. To each their own. Just my experience and opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7982.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	31041  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
crowbar

My trailer is stored in an open sided shed that I built for it. But when it used to sit outside all year, I used to put a cover on it but not a full cover. Just enough to cover the roof and maybe 2 feet down the sides. I wanted it to breathe a little and I never had any issues at all. Also cracked the windows a bit and kept a few pots of chemical drier inside. No prob.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #26
dljs1941

It's always interesting to hear different views on this subject. I fall into the "cover the RV camp". We live in the Northeast and put the camper away from November to April. With snow, ice, rain, cold, sun, etc... I just think a good quality cover will prevent some of the elements from eating away at the roof (which is my mind is the most important component to protect). We've used Adco covers (parent company Covercraft) for several years. The product is breathable so condensation doesn't built up underneath. It's really not that difficult to put on and take off, plus it gives me another opportunity to review the roof condition while I'm up there.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #27
Greg58

The problem here in the south is sun damage, if a unit sits in direct sunlight the roof will suffer. We keep ours under a RV shelter and use it year round.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #28
Northofu1

2 yrs using the Classic Accessories Poly Pro 3 cover. Easy to put on, easy to take off. Brushed off any dirt while on drive way, hosed it off and let it dry on driveway, rolled up nice and put back in bag. Sold it for half of purchase price. New owner is very happy with it, said it looked like new. One tightening belt needed to be sewn back on, but that was my bad, I pulled too hard.
The tree line sheltered the North / West winds so it wasn't flapping like mad, no scratches on unit. Held a lot of snow both winters.
I would have put one on the 5er but ran out of ambition and cash with other upgrades. Definitely looking at a new one next year.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover