Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
Dallasrules

My solar adventure

I have my FR Cedar creek which I love best, but I bought a Montana 5th wheel to put on some property for weekends. There is no power there, so I have decided to set up solar. I have been mostly learning for a few weeks and have gained some basic knowledge. Here is kind of where I am at now. If anyone can make suggestions or comments, please do. I have posted this on some other forums as well.

What I want to do:
I want to build a solar setup that will be the primary source of power to my RV. I want this setup to be self contained in a box with the panels attached to the top. It will sit 20 to 30 feet away from the RV. i want to be able to plug the rv into the setup for power, and disconnect it when not in use. We will mostly only be using the rv on the weekends. I also have a generator that I can use to charge the batteries, or run some ac next summer.

Here is what I have:
Cotek 2000w pure sine inverter
Morningstar TS-45 solar controller
(4) Infinuim 250w panels (12v or 24v?)
(4) vmax SLR125 AGM batteries
Square D 70 amp breaker box with 40amp breaker
(2) 70' 10 age photovoltaic wire
#2 wires for connecting batteries
2003 Montana 3655FL 5th wheel trailer (50 amp)

Here is what I think I need:
MC4 connectors for the solar pannels
fuse or beaker coming out of solar charger (size?)
negative ground bar, possibly a positive one also for connections
inline fuse for + battery terminal connection
4 guage wire and connectors to connect components if system is 24v
A way to power rv ac from inverter. I think I can run the inverter to the beaker box to an rv plug and use the rv shore power cord to plug in to that. I can turn off rv breakers for what I don't want to run.
I need to disconnect the converter and battery that are in the rv
I need to connect the rv dc fusebox to the solar battery bank. Can I run another cord and plug for this? what size would I need? Is power drop going to be a problem for dc over the 20 to 30 feet to the trailer. I have either a 6 or 8 guage cord I can use.
Battery monitor. I would like to be able to monitor the batteries from inside the rv, so something with bluetooth or a remote display would be preferable.
I need a way to charge th battery bank from my generator. Do i need another converter for this? If so, where does it fit in the system?
If panels are 24v, I need to know hoe to connect my batteries. I know I connect 2 in series to get 24v. That would give me 2 sets of 24v, but then how do I connect those in parallel? Also, if I add batteries in the future, do I have to add them in Pairs?
I need to know how to connect my panels. if the are 24v, do they all just connect in parallel?
If my solar panels are not 24v, will my solar charger still work? or will it work if they are 24v?
I need to know how to configure the solar charger
if my battery bank is 24v, is there anything neccessary to connect it back to my 12v rv system?
brackets to connect my solar panels to the (frame/box). I plan to build the box to house the system, but would be open to buying something if the price was reasonable.
am I wrong in any of the above information, or am I missing anything?
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since your trailer operates on 12VDC, if you connect your batteries to make 24VDC, your going to have issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
IMASAP

You need a 24v to 12v converter. Not recommending this, but something along these lines.

https://www.amazon.com/Nextrox-Conve...s%2C184&sr=8-3

This will run your 12 volt appliances.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, vent