Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
bbelill

No Power to Outlets (Yes it's plugged in)

Hello all,
New to the forum, as my wife and I just purchased a 2016 Keystone Passport 2400BH. While getting it ready for our first weekend trip, I noticed the fridge wasn't working ("check" light was on). Subsequently, I realized none of my outlets are working.
To save some time on answers, yes it's plugged in, yes I checked the breakers and fuses (nothing popped or turned off), and yes the microwave and everything else works electrically both on DC and AC. I checked the GFI outlet and it was popped (figured that'd fix it all) - when resetting it, though, it continues to pop anywhere from 10-45 secs after resetting. For the non GFI outlets, I turned off and back on the breaker - they were working but stopped working again. The fridge does work, as I took the outside cover off and plugged it into an extension cord to my garage - also works with the propane.

I'm planning on replacing the GFI outlet tomorrow with a new one to see if that's the issue, but any other things I should look for that could be the potential issue? Thanks in advance!
bbelill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Customer1

Check any outside receptacles for water intrusion. They are all linked back to the GFCI.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

Do be aware that many outlets are on the same circuit as the GFCI and when it trips all of those outlets go dead.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
LewisB

I think you are on the right track.
> Unplug everything on the GFI outlets (multiple slave receptacles in bath(s), kitchen, outside, pass through storage, etc.) including the fridge and see if it still pops. You very well may have a plugged in appliance (including the fridge) that is causing the issue. With everything unplugged, reset the GFI and see if it pops. If it doesn't, plug stuff in one at a time to determine the culprit.
> If it still pops, replace the GFI and see if it pops.
> If the new GFI still pops, then it is probably one of the "slave" receptacles. You will have to isolate these one at a time to see if that identifies the problem (could be either the wiring or the receptacle.)
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
bbelill

Issue resolved

Figured I'd just update. After going over and checking all the outlets again, we opened up the breaker/fuse box. Found very quickly that every neutral wire was not tightened when they wired the camper - thus the outlets working some times but not others (when connection was making contact they worked). Guessing they skipped over that part when assembling the camper.
bbelill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
LewisB

Good job! Glad you found the problem. Thanks for the update.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:52 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Unfortunately this is a common problem. Thanks for the update.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Glad you found that! Loose connections can cause arcing which leads to wires getting hot, and then wire insulation melting and then a fire. A few years ago I investigated a fire that we determined was a result of arcing of loose wire connections in a FW Class A diesel pusher. Guy had it parked next to his house, plugged it in to start the fridge for a trip and within a day it caught fire and it spread to the house and destroyed absolutely everything; the RV, their 2 cars in the garage, the house and everything in it. All together over $1m in damages but thankfully no injuries. But 2 days later, and they would have been camping with their grandkids and it could have been a much different story.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets, power