Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
P&DZ

Cool Duracell Battery Question

Its time to replace the aging and mis-matched 12v batteries on my TT. After reading the posts regarding 12v verses 6v options I have elected to go with 6v since we do quite a bit of camping at sites with no hookups. I am looking at purchasing Duracell batteries from either Sam's or Battery Plus Bulbs but it seems they offer slightly different options and I am having a difficult time researching what the difference is, if any.

Sams: $124.88, EGC2, 230 amp hr, minutes at 75 amp: 120, no Duracell model number listed.

Batteries Plus: $129.99, GC2, 230 amp hr, minutes at 75 amp: 115, Item Number: SLIGC115 (I think this is the store item number)

Is there any difference between these two batteries? The pictures on each website show a difference label on each of the batteries, is an EGC2 different than a GC2? Am I engineering this to death?
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
roadglide

I'm going on 3 years with 3 AGM 12 volt Duracell 120 AH from bulbs ,battery, plus. There excellent batters and there charge at 100 percent with 500 watt Hightec solar pannels. There is a lot of debate on 6 or 12 volt rv batterys witch is best imo 12 volt deep cell batteries are better then 6 volts.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Customer1

I've had good success with two sets of the Duracell GC2. I've never had the EGC2 but it has higher ah rating to match the higher price.

One way to compare lead acid deep cell batteries is to compare weight. In general more weight equals more lead and a better battery.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
travelin texans

Put 2 12 volt Duracell batteries in my 5er then used it for 2 years before selling it, no problems.
Bought 6 6volt Duracells for my golf cart a year ago, no problems.
Also my opinion is the 12 volts unless you're boondocking regularly then I'd suggest 4 6 volts with solar panels & a good generator.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The Duracell GC2 20 A/H rate is 215 Cost: $89.88
The Duracell EGC2 20 A/H rate is 230 Cost: $124.88

The physical size of the EGC2 is about 2" taller than the GC2. Other dimensions are similar in size (L/W similar to the GP24 auto battery). You may run into a problem finding battery boxes for the EGC2. The "individual GP24 tall battery boxes" won't work with the EGC2 but will work with the GC2 batteries.

I'd consider if the additional "15 minute run time" is worth the increased cost of $70 for the pair of batteries...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
B-O-B'03

When I bought my EGC2, from Batteries +, just over 3 years ago, they were offering a 10% discount for buying on-line and picking up at the local store.

It was under $200 out the door.

I have had zero issues with them and they last a lot longer than the 2 X 75 AH 12 volt GP24 batteries they replaced.

I will definitely buy the same thing, when they need replacement.

-Brian
Old 05-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
KimNTerry

I have 4 of the Duracell GC2 215Amp Hr battereis. No issues with them.

Whether you opt for 2 or 4 of the 6 volts is a function of how much energy you excpect to use in a day/trip.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
P&DZ

Thanks everyone for the help, it is very much appreciated! Weighing all of the input,and in particular the difference in the height of the batteries and the cost I have elected to go with two of the Duracell GC2 215 amp hr. It appears it gets a good recommendation from the forum members. I am sure it will be much better than our current battery bank. We do use a 100 watt solar panel to recharge and sometimes bring a Champion dual fuel generator if I think the grey/balk tanks will last longer than the batteries.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We boondock in the UP several times a year in unimproved camp grounds or in the national forest where there is no campground. With two GC2 batteries we can usually go 3 days if we're at the trailer in cool weather (furnace operation) or if we're going to be away from the trailer most of the day in warmer weather, we can go 4-5 days. That's with LED lights, watching an hour or maybe 2 of TV daily (news/weather) and not being "stingy" with battery power. We've had the same Duracell GC2 batteries since 2013, they're still going strong and I have no plans to exchange or replace them as long as they keep working like they have. We're going on 7 years on the same batteries and we travel extensively in the summer, so they get "used to their limit"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
P&DZ

Thanks JRTJH! That gives me a pretty good understanding on what I can expect from 2 GC2 batteries. When you state 4 -5 days in warmer weather I am assuming that is without recharging the batteries with a generator or solar panel? I normally hook up a 100 watt solar panel with the controller direct to the batteries. So with good sun I should be able to extend the batteries beyond 5 days if we are cautions with our power usage.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Peter,

That's correct. Without using the furnace, watching TV an hour or two a day, using lights as needed, running the refrigerator 12VDC system (propane as heat source) and turning the water heater on as needed, letting it heat the water, then turning it off if we're leaving the trailer, and using the water pump as needed, we can go about 3 days with "minimal furnace use" and about 4 or 5 days during the summer when the furnace is not used. I'd note, in "hot weather" we run the fantastic vent fan and the "improved range hood" to vent hot air (sort of like window fans in older times) so that does affect battery charge status. The hotter it gets, like the colder it gets, the fans (furnace or vent) get used causing more battery use.

I always carry a 2000 watt generator, but find that we only use it for making coffee or using the microwave. I'd add that during that 20 minutes of "morning use to make coffee" we do get "some battery charging" as an added benefit (why waste the opportunity when it's available) but we're not specifically running the generator to charge the batteries. So, there is some "blurring of exact discharge/recharge battery run times" but I don't believe it makes a significant use change from "strict dry camping"

ADDED: Keep in mind that things like an automatic leveling system, 4/5 slides rather than none/1 slide and whether the tow vehicle is disconnected before/after using those devices will make a "SIGNIFICANT" difference in battery run times. Essentially, with 4 GC2 batteries, fully charged, to "employ the automatic leveling system, deploy 5 hydraulic/electric slides and extend the awning may well use 50% of available battery power while a trailer with 2 GC2 batteries, two slides and manual leveling, set up while the tow vehicle is connected and running may only use 5-10% of the available battery power, which means "employment of available resources" is more important than "number of batteries in the compartment" (generally speaking) .

So, how your trailer is equipped and how you set it up may cause you to start with "fully charged batteries" or "start at half depleted batteries" before you even set up the lawn chairs.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
P&DZ

Thanks John, Your explanation gives me a good baseline as to what to expect from a pair of GC2 batteries. We are generally pretty conservative with our power requirements, shutting off items when not in use such as the hot water heater & water pump. Since we often camp in the mountains the weather is cooler and we don't need fans. However I had not given much thought to the power drained just by set up. We have one slide and an awning which could be deployed while connected to the TV. Our leveling is a manual operation. Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Its time to replace the aging and mis-matched 12v batteries on my TT. After reading the posts regarding 12v verses 6v options I have elected to go with 6v since we do quite a bit of camping at sites with no hookups. I am looking at purchasing Duracell batteries from either Sam's or Battery Plus Bulbs but it seems they offer slightly different options and I am having a difficult time researching what the difference is, if any.

Sams: $124.88, EGC2, 230 amp hr, minutes at 75 amp: 120, no Duracell model number listed.

Batteries Plus: $129.99, GC2, 230 amp hr, minutes at 75 amp: 115, Item Number: SLIGC115 (I think this is the store item number)

Is there any difference between these two batteries? The pictures on each website show a difference label on each of the batteries, is an EGC2 different than a GC2? Am I engineering this to death?
There is NO debate about 6V vs 12V. Think about it, the two batteries are roughly the same physical size. The power available from a battery is directly related to the weight of the active material, in this case Lead. A similar in size and weight 6V will ALWAYS have more power than a 12V simply because you need 2 of them to get 12V. It is CRUCIAL you get real deep cycle batteries. I know nothing of the batteries you mentioned, I only use Trojan (until my Battle Born's arrive). If the battery has any words on it like Crank, cold crank then it is NOT a true deep cycle. Also get yourself a Trimetric battery monitor, and never discharge your batteries below 50% and 30% if possible.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #14
bbells

I use the duracell on some of my solar setups. 6 years and the batteries are fine. Not much need to spend more. I use a food cooler whenever I can't find a battery box big enough. You need to drill a vent hole in the box. If installed inside you need to vent outside. On several ice fishing wheelhouses we have moved the box inside to the rear of the axles. This lowered the tongue weight by quite a bit,
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #15
Roscommon48

Just best the ones that you think are best. 2 - 6 volt batteries from either place will work just fine. If you can't decide buy the more expensive ones.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
P&DZ

Thanks Folks! The camper comes out of storage this week for its spring maintenance and clean up. On the hit list is new 6v batteries, new Goodyear Endurance tires, pack wheel bearings, inspect brakes, clean and coat roof, wash and wax, etc,etc,etc. That should keep me out of trouble for a couple of days!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #17
azchoco

AGM batteries in 5th wheel

I am going to be replacing both my 12v batteries in my 2016 Keystone Alpine 3536RE. Rather than a maintenance battery, the AGM batteries look much better because they are sealed, so don't need to be checked for water. Are they OK for this application?

Any feedback on AGMs would be appreciated. I would go with 12v Trojans, however I don't have enough room.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchoco View Post
I am going to be replacing both my 12v batteries in my 2016 Keystone Alpine 3536RE. Rather than a maintenance battery, the AGM batteries look much better because they are sealed, so don't need to be checked for water. Are they OK for this application?

Any feedback on AGMs would be appreciated. I would go with 12v Trojans, however I don't have enough room.
I started with lead acid batteries with in six months they were garbage. I think the vibration in RV destroys flooded batteries the AGM is vibration resistance.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #19
MarkEHansen

Vibration? That's a new one on me. I've been using flooded, lead-acid batteries in my RVs (and cars/trucks/motorcycles/airplanes) for decades. Never seen them go bad in six months due to vibration.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #20
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Vibration? That's a new one on me. I've been using flooded, lead-acid batteries in my RVs (and cars/trucks/motorcycles/airplanes) for decades. Never seen them go bad in six months due to vibration.
it may have been the cheap Everlast from Walmart. NASCAR users AGM batteries because they take vibration better than water flooded and being Maintenance free.

Tags
battery