Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Army Paladin

Question Furnace on while driving

I am sure that this has been asked but could not find it. I wanted to ask if there are issues with running the furnace while you are traveling down the highway? We have been traveling a lot more in the cold weather and did not want the water lines or tanks to freeze up.
Thanks for your help.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Some do it, some dont. I’m in the don’t do it club but it doesn’t get that cold out here.

My concern would be depending on the location of the intake/exhaust on the exterior, you may develop a “vortex” and cause the flame to go out. 3 tries and it’s not going to try anymore. If your driving a long distance that may mean it just like not operating it.

I’ll let those that have done it explain it further.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
ChuckS

I’ve done this before with my fifth wheel. Was towing back from Vegas to Idaho 1st week in Dec. I winterized the fifth wheel in Vegas day before heading back so I was not worried about plumbing freezing n

However the wife had been given many house plants to bring back and there was no room in our club cab truck for them. We put them inside fifth wheel and when we got about 100 miles out of a Vegas headed toward Ely, NV I pulled over and fired up the furnace.

I knew temps up toward a Ely and back in Idaho were about 10 degrees. Furnace was only hope to prevent house plants fr9m freezing.

No issues with furnace while in motion. During fuel stops I DID turn furnace off while refueling and after pulling clear of fuel pumps fired furnace back up..

We were also towing in 25 to 35 mph winds during this return trip to Idaho.. I had set temp at 62 degrees so this worked well for us.. without the furnace running I have no doubt the plants would have all froze

I wasn’t concerned if furnace flame was blown out resulting in propane flowing because the dual solenoids would have closed once no flame was detected..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

There you go. I know propane would quit flowing in the event the flame blew out or failed to ignite. My comment was after 3 tries to relight it would be in lockout mode and not even try anymore until the thermostat was turned off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
travelin texans

Have done so numerous times while traveling in cold temps.
Some will say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT do so, those also will not run fridge on gas while traveling, have done both for over 40 years of rving with 10+ years full-time & never an issue running either during travel.
Was also not an issue fueling, towed with a diesel so if fueling while connected always used truck lanes putting any LP fired appliances 20-25' from the pumps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #6
rhagfo

Have done in cold weather so unit was preheated on arrival.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
Tbos

One of the vents in my Alpine is coconut the slide. I’d be skeptical because of that in my case.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
bobbecky

We have been in subfreezing weather several times and do run the furnace while moving, and this does keep the plumbing from freezing. Another issue that would prevent the use of the furnace is the location of the floor registers, where the heated air comes out. If they are not clear of the slides, you probably should not run the furnace, as you need most of them clear for sufficient air flow so the furnace will work.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
JDDilly

I do this all the time when traveling in colder weather. I install heat vents that can close and close those that are under slide. I my current rig this is not and issue.
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:43 AM   #10
Roscommon48

It's ok, just do it.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
larryflew

Our annual trip is MN to AZ in December and going back the end of March. Yes we have the furnace running for the entire trip for 7 years so far.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #12
rlh1957

For me, I decided not to. A lot of rigs have exposed tanks, some water lines underneath so furnace running won't do much to stop freezing outside especially while driving.
I think there may be some sort of vortex created, pressure difference inside the rig as well as the exhaust stack that could cause it to go out so it wouldn't be helping. Most modern rigs will stop the gas flow if the flame goes out and the igniter can't restart the flame. Probably not going to find any manufacturer or dealer documents advising they approve it and probably will be proactive advising against it only for legal reasons and not because it's unsafe. I just don't do it. I don't know how many folks have done it, but we don't hear about a rig that went up in flames because they left the furnace on while towing! I can see the flame going out rather than causing an unsafe condition. But with no experience on the matter, all I have is opinion.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #13
Steve d

We keep our built in Olympic 6000 catalatic heater on when traveling. No flame to blow out and no fumes either.
Steve d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #14
brialin

I do not run with the heat on. Bedroom vent is completely blocked off when the slide out is in. In the main living area only one vent is completely open. Two others are only about 1/3 open. Afraid the furnace will become unhappy with so much air restriction. If all the vents were open I would have no problems with running with the heat on.
brialin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace