Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Here's a very rough reply.

1 battery fully charged to run the furnace, water heater and fridge, maybe 6 hours, 12 max, but certainly not a full day.

Maybe a better idea of where you are planning on camping at would help.

You could always use 2 6 volt batteries and may get closer to 24 hours, but in either case you will need several hours of shore power or a generator to recharge them.

Or best yet, go where there are full hookups. That will help eliminate a lot of the issues.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #22
vancouverbrian

My 2 cents. Most older trailers do not have the king bed. This is a recent addition to trailers. Many new trailers have this option. Most trailers are not 4 season rated. Does not mean that they cannot be used for all season but manufacturer wont certify. Purchasing used can be difficult. It is hard to find the exact model and year that you are looking for that fits your criteria. Not impossible but will have to look all over the country. And it might not have the options you want. And then you get into condition and price. I found it easier to start fresh with a new trailer with the options I wanted and shop it hard because they can always order it from the factory, but take less profit. Then the condition is new and not worn and plan to keep mine for many years. Good luck on your journey.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #23
pdaniel

We are now in RV number 6 having owned travel trailers and one truck camper over the years with our previous RV being a Cougar TT. They all had their positive and negative issues. The Cougar was nice, but, lacked adequate heat. However, we now have a Grand Design Solitude, an RV that Grand Design has advertised as "extended stay" and are quite happy with the RV.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #24
n1282x

Drive down here to Arizona and I will get you 180 watt solar panels $400 each. Plus AGM batteries for $50 each...
n1282x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #25
n1282x

Should have said $100 each on the solar panels. I have eight of them on the roof of my Montana 381 and have zero issues with electricity
n1282x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
itat

As soon as someone says “4 seasons” and they intend to be in the northwest for the winter, I think of Northwoods Manufacturing since they are closer to true 4 season campers. The winter temps you mentioned are moderate for around these parts but most regular manufacturers like you mentioned do not build a true 4 season camper.

Checkout this model from Northwoods:
https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-35-5z/
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #27
Phil Saran

Twisties, you do not mention what size truck you have or are planning on getting, but from the size of 5th wheel you are looking for I would say one ton truck.

As for used vs new, just depends on what you want. My wife wanted one particular model Keystone Cougar 5th wheel (30 RLS) which is 34 feet long, 2 slide outs at rear, one for the closet in bedroom on left. Queen bed. Has a island and a decent sized pantry

Pricing is always fun. Our model was a new model in 2018, could not find any available. So went looking for a 2019. Found quite a few in Colorado (where I live) a few in Utah and also New Mexico. All the dealers were very proud of their $50 K price range. So I started looking farther away and found that in October Camping World in South Dakota does not sell many RV's, but they had that same 5th wheel priced at $38K. A long day trip to their dealer got us the new 5th wheel for $36K plus tax and license.

Buying out of my area has not been a problem for warranty work.

Yes now if the king bed is a deal breaker you will be looking for a bigger rig to get what you want.

Good luck with your hunting.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
vancouverbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
Twisties, you do not mention what size truck you have or are planning on getting, but from the size of 5th wheel you are looking for I would say one ton truck.

As for used vs new, just depends on what you want. My wife wanted one particular model Keystone Cougar 5th wheel (30 RLS) which is 34 feet long, 2 slide outs at rear, one for the closet in bedroom on left. Queen bed. Has a island and a decent sized pantry

Pricing is always fun. Our model was a new model in 2018, could not find any available. So went looking for a 2019. Found quite a few in Colorado (where I live) a few in Utah and also New Mexico. All the dealers were very proud of their $50 K price range. So I started looking farther away and found that in October Camping World in South Dakota does not sell many RV's, but they had that same 5th wheel priced at $38K. A long day trip to their dealer got us the new 5th wheel for $36K plus tax and license.

Buying out of my area has not been a problem for warranty work.

Yes now if the king bed is a deal breaker you will be looking for a bigger rig to get what you want.

Good luck with your hunting.
I also liked the Cougar 30RLS and purchased it in Colorado. I saw them being advertised in the South for about $35,000 and an RV dealership in CO matched it. I have been very happy with it and love the layout. I pull it with a 2017 F350 6.2L CCLB SRW.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #29
skmct

Tv directly across from seating is not as important as you might think. We had that same thought when first looking. But spend time in the unit as if it was yours . The newer tv mounting brackets have a lot of adjustment. Ours extends and swivels. If you get the separate recliners you can also move them . We have been very comfy watching tv in our Montana hc 318 re which has the rear entertainment. Go to large rv shows and take your time checking things out.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #30
Roscommon48

just start looking within your driving distance. that would the best bet.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #31
Twisties

Thanks Everyone! We appreciate all of your thoughts.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote