Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #21
flrtrader

Thanks everyone,

I guess I'm in a pickle then... I can't see replacing the Andersen since it is less than 2 weeks old and the dealer racked me a grand for it. I wanted the standard type hitch but you know how that go's at a dealer. I also can't imagine it being a must that I eliminate any and all shock absorption by the pinbox for the hitch to function. The more solid the connection the more the bouncing and chucking will be evident in the Tow vehicle. I was actually thinking about getting the newer Trail-Air with the shock and bags... But If that is why the Andersen is not working then that's out. It seems most here are against Andersen... So I think I posted this in the wrong place as there are just as many reviews talking about how great the hitch is. Sadly I kinda wish I'd kept the TT!! LOL....
Old 02-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

You just have to figure out the chucking, trust me you’ll be much happier.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

I'll admit that I'm no fan of Andersen hitches. That's just me and it has no bearing on this situation. I see several suggestions that the OP contact Andersen's customer service and see what they say.

So, my question is: What did they have in the way of suggestions?

Secondly, if the dealer "talked you into the Andersen hitch" have you talked to him about how it's working out? Seems if he suggested the hitch, he should stand behind it. If it's chucking as badly as you say, I'd be "on his desk with both feet" (figuratively not literally) getting a trade-in with a full price refund if I wasn't happy with what he told me I needed and I found out I didn't/don't......

That said, if you really, really want the hitch to work, then getting with Andersen's help team is your best bet....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #24
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrtrader View Post
Thanks everyone,

I guess I'm in a pickle then... I can't see replacing the Andersen since it is less than 2 weeks old and the dealer racked me a grand for it. I wanted the standard type hitch but you know how that go's at a dealer. I also can't imagine it being a must that I eliminate any and all shock absorption by the pinbox for the hitch to function. The more solid the connection the more the bouncing and chucking will be evident in the Tow vehicle. I was actually thinking about getting the newer Trail-Air with the shock and bags... But If that is why the Andersen is not working then that's out. It seems most here are against Andersen... So I think I posted this in the wrong place as there are just as many reviews talking about how great the hitch is. Sadly I kinda wish I'd kept the TT!! LOL....

I think I’d try the $40 kit and see if it helps. I understand not wanting to defeat the purpose of the rotoflex but with the Anderson you may not need it. If the kit doesn’t change the bucking send the kit back. Let us know what you decide. I use a Curt 20K hitch with my Alpine and get very little bucking.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #25
Don_T

Quote:
I also can't imagine it being a must that I eliminate any and all shock absorption by the pinbox for the hitch to function. The more solid the connection the more the bouncing and chucking will be evident in the Tow vehicle.
As long as you keep believing this, you won’t solve your problem. Talk to the Anderson people and tell them what you have. I am not a fan of Anderson either, but your issue is the combination doesn’t work. Take a look at the Anderson mounting point on the pin box in relation to the pivot point of the Roto Flex. I believe the Anderson ball is in front of the pivot point. It needs to be directly below the pivot point to work properly. Every time you have a weight transfer you have chucking. I hope you get it fixed soon as this can ruin you traveling enjoyment.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #26
DucBill

Flrtrdr if you search this site you'll find alot of info on subject HMTCW on my previous K-Z 38 New Vision I ran a Reese 5th Airborne air ride pin box with a sidewinder feature for a short bed truck which had about 5" of air cushion which eliminated most of the chucking. I now have Reese Goose box on Fuzion 375 with same experience re minimizing chucking but it's not compatible with a short bed. IIRC The Goose box is the only goose neck allowed with a Lippert frame warranty. For my application air was the answer but both rigs were in 16-18k# range also my TV has airbags. YMMV. Good Luck.
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'll admit that I'm no fan of Andersen hitches. That's just me and it has no bearing on this situation. I see several suggestions that the OP contact Andersen's customer service and see what they say.

So, my question is: What did they have in the way of suggestions?

Secondly, if the dealer "talked you into the Andersen hitch" have you talked to him about how it's working out? Seems if he suggested the hitch, he should stand behind it. If it's chucking as badly as you say, I'd be "on his desk with both feet" (figuratively not literally) getting a trade-in with a full price refund if I wasn't happy with what he told me I needed and I found out I didn't/don't......

That said, if you really, really want the hitch to work, then getting with Andersen's help team is your best bet....

John,

Thanks so much for your thoughts, And everyone else here. I think all in all I like the Andersen.... But if it does not function with a cushion type of pinbox, and in anyway limits me being able to improve the comfort in the TV then I have no use for it. And I have called them and am waiting on a return call from the tech they told me specializes in this. As you said possible the hitch eliminates the need for any type of cushion. Though I can't get my head around this. I will keep everyone advised as to what I find out.

On your other thought about climbing up on the desk... (I Could Not Agree More) I might add with the owner's tie in hand!! What saves them is I am 3.5 hours away as I am just north of Cincinnati and they are in Wabash Indiana. I would be glad to share this dealers name as I would NEVER send anyone there.

As for the hitch itself the ball drops into the connection which is off center of the pinbox puck as someone here pointed out. (Maybe) that is the problem.

Another possibility might be (IF) I need a new pinbox then I have seen Goose Neck type pinboxes which would eliminate the Andersen off set. But right now it is a waiting game as I am just kind of lost until I get some real answers. BUT it really does make the excitement of switching from a TT to 5er kind of ****ty.

Keith
Old 02-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #28
spicercars

I switched my pinbox to a trailair and it was the best investment I ever made. Super ride and no chucking.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #29
Frank G

flrtrader, FYI Holman RV just east of Cincinnati is a respectable dealer.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #30
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
I switched my pinbox to a trailair and it was the best investment I ever made. Super ride and no chucking.
I did the same took 95% of the chucking out of it. There's one certain speed coasting down I get just a bit.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #31
5J's

For what it's worth, I didn't want a 5th wheel hitch in my truck to work around so I put a Reese Goose Box on my 5er. The only problem I have had is a leaking relief valve.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #32
gearhead

I wouldn't jump the gun and spend big money on a new hitch. $40 for the lock out kit should fix you up.
My PullRite is similar to a Andersen, but opposite. The ball is on the trailer and the cup is on the truck. I really like it. Mine is steel and is maybe 10 pounds heavier then the Andersen. It is much easier for me to tell I have a positive hitch up. I can see the locking pin above the ball. I bought mine because I have to have a clean bed to load the cabover. Too much trouble getting the CurtQ20 in and out. I just grab the PullRite and throw it in the truck bed.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #33
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Thanks,

This was the route I had originally thought I'd take... But now if the Andersen must use a lock out to function I am thinking you would have the same problem with the trail-air bag and shock system as it also has the rotoflex pivot built in.

Keith
Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #34
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I wouldn't jump the gun and spend big money on a new hitch. $40 for the lock out kit should fix you up.
My PullRite is similar to a Andersen, but opposite. The ball is on the trailer and the cup is on the truck. I really like it. Mine is steel and is maybe 10 pounds heavier then the Andersen. It is much easier for me to tell I have a positive hitch up. I can see the locking pin above the ball. I bought mine because I have to have a clean bed to load the cabover. Too much trouble getting the CurtQ20 in and out. I just grab the PullRite and throw it in the truck bed.
Thanks,

An no I am not going to do that.... But with the lockout installed it will be changing the pinbox to the solid mount type which is what people are trying to get away from.

Besides there won't be big money involved, It will be the pain in the arse of driving three hours to Zoomers RV and expressing my thoughts on taking me into the Andersen when I wanted a regular hitch. As a dealer pushing these things they should know they do not work with a rotoflex.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #35
Alpine

Quote:
Thanks,

An no I am not going to do that.... But with the lockout installed it will be changing the pinbox to the solid mount type which is what people are trying to get away from.

Besides there won't be big money involved, It will be the pain in the arse of driving three hours to Zoomers RV and expressing my thoughts on taking me into the Andersen when I wanted a regular hitch. As a dealer pushing these things they should know they do not work with a rotoflex.
This usually happens when there is a larger profit margin for the item they are "pushing!" Hoping the best for you and a speedy solution!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #36
John&Genny

Quote:
Thanks,

OK, before everyone tries to trample Andersen too much here, I need to put in my .02 cents. We have the Andersen Ultimate with our 2017 Avalance that does have the Rotoflex pin box. Even before I purchased the lockout kit, it had a great ride. No bucking, chucking, or anything else out of the ordinary. I only purchased the lockout kit later after I read that it should be used with the Rotoflex system, but after the install, it didn’t change the ride all that much. About the same as it was before, which leads me to believe something else is going on.

Be sure you have the Andersen oriented correctly for a long or short bed, and also play around with adjusting the height of the ball. I think I have mine adjusted for about the maximum length. Double check to make sure your dealer installed everything correctly. The manuals are available from the Andersen website.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #37
gearhead

Quote:
Thanks,

I don't have a degree in physics or structural engineering, but I think the issue is the horizontal sliding that Andersen and PullRite don't want. You are good with the pivot. Don't drive to the dealer unless you just want to vent on them. Buy the $40 lock out and git on down the road. I would try to pressure the dealer into buying the lock out kit, since their ignorance has caused you so much grief.
Are you sure the trailer brakes are working OK?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #38
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
OK, before everyone tries to trample Andersen too much here, I need to put in my .02 cents. We have the Andersen Ultimate with our 2017 Avalance that does have the Rotoflex pin box. Even before I purchased the lockout kit, it had a great ride. No bucking, chucking, or anything else out of the ordinary. I only purchased the lockout kit later after I read that it should be used with the Rotoflex system, but after the install, it didn’t change the ride all that much. About the same as it was before, which leads me to believe something else is going on.

Be sure you have the Andersen oriented correctly for a long or short bed, and also play around with adjusting the height of the ball. I think I have mine adjusted for about the maximum length. Double check to make sure your dealer installed everything correctly. The manuals are available from the Andersen website.
First, I don’t think anyone here is picking on the Anderson Ultimate. We are only saying it doesn’t get along with the Roto Flex pin box. This is a known issue otherwise Anderson would’t make a lockout for it. Since you don’t need the lockout you bought, perhaps you can ship it to the OP so he can check to see if it helps his problem?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #39
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
The rota-flex rotates back and forth against the rubber. This is what needs to be stopped before you damage the hitch, pin box or your truck. This is what the kit from Anderson does. To use the Anderson correctly you need a solid pin box.

https://www.lci1.com/rota-flex

I am not a fan of Anderson and your problems are just one more reason why.

Good luck

With a Anderson you do not need a rota-flex and you will not even know you are towing a 5er. There is absolutely no "chunking, chucking, clunking"
of any kind at all. I assume you have never pulled with a Anderson. Rota-flex are made to absorb or hide the problems with the old heavy hitches that are known for chunking.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #40
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
For what it's worth, I didn't want a 5th wheel hitch in my truck to work around so I put a Reese Goose Box on my 5er. The only problem I have had is a leaking relief valve.

With a B&W trailer hitch and a Anderson ball mount you basically do not have a trailer hitch in your bed. Takes two minutes to take the Anderson 35lb. hitch out of the bed and pull a pin which then allows you to turn the B&W hitch ball over. Now you have your perfectly flat pickup bed back and it only take a couple minutes.
Closed Thread