Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
BlueThunder34

Tire dressing on trailer tires

Has anyone else heard that you are not supposed to use tire dressings on the trailer tires? I believe it is related to petroleum based products, I would like to have them shine but don't want to damage my new Carlie HDs. I've been a gear head for many years and have always used tire sprays and never had a tire failure. I'm assuming trailer tires are different with different stresses placed on them so I want to maintain them the correct way. Anyone else heard of this and if so what do you use?

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Has anyone else heard that you are not supposed to use tire dressings on the trailer tires? I believe it is related to petroleum based products, I would like to have them shine but don't want to damage my new Carlie HDs. I've been a gear head for many years and have always used tire sprays and never had a tire failure. I'm assuming trailer tires are different with different stresses placed on them so I want to maintain them the correct way. Anyone else heard of this and if so what do you use?
I think that someone's pulling your leg as I've never heard of this ever. I'm sure if I Googled it I would find that it's true but in the real world it isn't.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I personally don't like the high gloss but I do use the 303 on them for a nice satin sheen. As soon as you get them hot they start to bleed and look dirty again. But I think the UV protection does help a little. Been doin' it for years.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 AM   #4
bsmith0404

My understanding is that you need to stay away from petroleum based products. Many tire/trim dressings are petroleum based and will cause damage to and dry out rubber. Look for a water based product and you should be fine. I've been using this product for years on my vehicles and trailers without any problems. One of the things I like most about it is that it doesn't sling off and end up all over the fenders/skirting.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-tire-gel.html

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 AM   #5
Dave W

Armor All has 5%+/- mineral oil and 95+/-% 'other' ingredients according to their MSDS. 303 Protectant has 100% 'proprietary' ingredients which always scares me, but supposedly nothing of a petroleum nature. No, I wont use Armor All or similar on anything as I don't like shiny tires or the fact that I've applied something that may harm them. I bought a gallon jug of .303 in 2009 and still have at least half left after using it on our 5er's tires and slide seals, my TV's tonneau and tires and my street rod tires. I don't use it on the 5er's roof or sidewalls but that's my personal choice as many successfully and happily cover everything.

Look at the MSDS for any so-called protectant to be used on an RV. If it says anything about mineral oil or petroleum distillates, IMO, look elsewhere.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:09 AM   #6
BlueThunder34

Thanks all, I think I'll start using 303 just to be on the safe side.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Read the directions on the product.

A reference for Carlisle tire owners.

http://eagletrailer.com/manuals/Carl...e%20Manual.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires