Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
canesfan

Valve Stems

So after reading all the threads I ordered the N-1600 "Ford" metal valve stems to go with my new tires. They are HEAVY. Well, at least a bag of 4 is heavy.

I got them from https://yourtireshopsupply.com/ which is one of the few places I found that had them and had a reasonable price.

I ordered them on Sunday choosing USPS Priority Mail (usually 2-3 days). All the shipping options cost more than the 4 stems, but hey. Wednesday came and no stems, no email order confirmation, no shipping confirmation. I had an order confirmation # from the website that I had printed. So I decided to call and check on where things stand. I gave the girl my order # and she looked it up and said they were sent FedEx Ground. From CA. I told her I had paid for Priority Mail shipping and she said the warehouse they came from only used FedEx. So I told her I had plans to have my new tires mounted and I either needed the stems or had to change my plans. She said let's see what we can do. She said it probably wasn't worth the effort to try to reroute or change the shipping method for the ones enroute, how about she just overnights me some new stems and I can refuse the other package when it gets here. Fine by me. She said she would email me a shipping confirmation later that day. No shipping confirmation. :/ Well, this morning around 10AM FedEx shows up with my new stems. The ones they overnighted. HORRAY!!! Oh well, not the best service or communication, but at least they made it right. Now I just have to deal with returning the others if I happen to not be here to refuse them when FedEx shows up.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a FedEx tracking number on the ground shipment, you can go on the FedEx website and, I think, in the special instructions, you can refuse the shipment without actually being at home. I've done it on FedEx priority shipments, I think the same options are available on their ground services also.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
canesfan

Thanks. I don't have a tracking number. I never got a shipping confirmation and didn't think to ask her for a number. Maybe I'll call back and ask her and see if I can refuse it online.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Tbos

Are there any TPM systems that dont require using metal stems?

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
canesfan

There's no option to refuse or return the shipment. She is going to see if she can change it on her end and call me back. Very nice, pleasant and personable girl. Customer service +1.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tire Minder, have had system going on 5 years now, very light transmitters,. No issues at all being on two sets of tires and no metal stems on either set. Now if you look at flow through TST507 system transmitters I probably would look into metal stems

ADDED: Tire Minder monitors 12 tires, no metal stems
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
canesfan

Just got an email from Kelli from the place I bought the stems. She told me to just keep the original shipment that wasn't going to get here on time when it does get here. So know I have 4 spares. Customer Service +2. Wonder if they'll fit on my truck? Already have metal stems on them though.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, if you do replace your spare tire, you'll only have 3 extra valve stems... No need to buy another style, since the ones you've got will fit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
buzzcop63

Discussing replacing my trailers 5 year old Power King D rated tires and gong to Carlisle E, told the manger I would like all metal stems. The manager of Discount Tire brought out the stems he recommended and they are rated for 150 psi, rubber base and metal top. The manager said that they had had problems with the all-metal stems due to corrosion and that they had developed leaks. As a note on Tire Minder, have ran the sending units on our trailer now going on four years with no visible problems with rubber stems and sure have been a great help in making sure tire pressure is correct as well as watching the temperature.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post

Discussing replacing my trailers 5 year old Power King D rated tires and gong to Carlisle E, told the manger I would like all metal stems. The manager of Discount Tire brought out the stems he recommended and they are rated for 150 psi, rubber base and metal top. The manager said that they had had problems with the all-metal stems due to corrosion and that they had developed leaks. As a note on Tire Minder, have ran the sending units on our trailer now going on four years with no visible problems with rubber stems and sure have been a great help in making sure tire pressure is correct as well as watching the temperature.
Paraptor runs a TPMS on rubber stems. I'm sure he'll chime in. Be sure to ask him about his ladder and also his halogen lights.

I've run metal stems on my rigs ever since I knew anything about anything. Also run them on my truck. I have never had a problem with leaks or corrosion. Only problem I ever had was a loose stem once and that was purely a Chevy issue that was rectified.