Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #21
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
There isn't a psi spec for 2540 because the wheels are only rated for 2150. I'm assuming your trailer max weight is around 7000 lbs since the original tires were only 1760, so you have plenty of reserve even at 2150. The D range tires will provide 31% reserve weight which is more than enough. An E range tire is overkill, but you can go to 80 psi with those wheels if they are in fact a Sendel and not some knock off. Sendel wheels usually have their name stamped on them somewhere.
The wheels are made by Hispec Wheel. They are stamped 2540 and match the original Sendel design. These are the only aluminum wheels I could find that offered a 2540 lb rating. I did source 2800 lb steel wheels but I wanted the OEM look. And talk about your overkill. I calculated a 10% degradation into the 2540 lb rated tire each year and ran it over 3 years. 1850 lbs is what they will be rated after 3 seasons of use. OEM tires are rated 1760 new. I'm well ahead even at a GVWR of 7600 lbs.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #22
bsmith0404

I looked at their website, couldn't find anything anywhere that referenced psi ratings. They do provide a phone number and email address though, I'd contact them and ask. Based on the load rating, I would imagine they are good for 80 psi, but a simple phone call should verify that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
busterbrown

Okay. Discount Tire has been promising me that a new stock of Carlisle tires are on order as I've been patiently waiting for nearly 3 weeks now. After no call from them, I made a courteous inquiry today to check on the status. The rep changed his story and stated the the nearly 11 month old tires he originally received from his warehouse were the newest from Carlisle and that he verified DOT dates on thsee exact tires with 2 other warehouses. My options are either to accept and purchase these 1 year old tires. Or get my deposit back and order them from another retailer like Walmart or Amazon. Pricing is the same between all three. My concern is the age of the tires. Should I gamble and order them from Walmart or Amazon? And if they are older than 6 months from either of these two sellers, should I refuse them too? I just want to get them purchased and mounted soon as other spring RV projects are presenting themselves. Opinions?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
busterbrown

Also, based on a discussion in another tire thread, does anyone know if walmart is capable of lug-centric balancing verses on the hub?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #25
BrentB

Based on my experiences, you'd be lucky to find any newer than that.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like they deal with a warehouse somewhere that doesn't move many Carlisle tires or something. I would NOT accept any new tire a year old from anyone. Have you talked to the manager about the situation? Can he source from another warehouse? Obviously, Carlisle is making tires as we speak so DT is just giving you the runaround. Try working (pressuring) with them to find newer tires. When I ordered mine they came in in 2 days and were about 6 weeks old. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Okay. Discount Tire has been promising me that a new stock of Carlisle tires are on order as I've been patiently waiting for nearly 3 weeks now. After no call from them, I made a courteous inquiry today to check on the status. The rep changed his story and stated the the nearly 11 month old tires he originally received from his warehouse were the newest from Carlisle and that he verified DOT dates on thsee exact tires with 2 other warehouses. My options are either to accept and purchase these 1 year old tires. Or get my deposit back and order them from another retailer like Walmart or Amazon. Pricing is the same between all three. My concern is the age of the tires. Should I gamble and order them from Walmart or Amazon? And if they are older than 6 months from either of these two sellers, should I refuse them too? I just want to get them purchased and mounted soon as other spring RV projects are presenting themselves. Opinions?

When my Carlisle tires arrived at the dealer 4 were 3 months old and 1 was 4 months old. There are fresh tires out there, try another dealer.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought my tires from MEEKHOF Tire Co in Gaylord. They were the cheapest around and the tires were about 6 weeks old. The closest stores they have to SE Michigan are in Lansing and Saginaw. If you can't find any closer to your location that are fresher than 1 year old, you might want to consider them?

I would be very reluctant to put on "5 year tires" that are already 20% expired...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #29
sconner

Got my Carlisle HDs at Wal-Mart and they were about 4 months old.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #30
busterbrown

Update...

Ordered 225 75 15s in LRD at Walmart.com last week. They came in 3 days later and were DOT stamped "2016". Too aged for me so I received a refund. The next day, ordered the same tire from Amazon.com. Received them today and they were stamped "1616". What's up with year old inventory with this size/load rated tire?

My first attempt at ordering tires from DT resulted in LRE tires. They were much newer around Nov 2016. I'm just wondering if my quest for load rated D tires in size 225/75/15 is futile.

I'm considering the LRE tires as I think the local stock is much more fresh. My only reserve is my wheel capacity at 2540 lbs. If the LRE tired max inflation pressure is 80 lbs supporting 2800 lbs, will it compromise the tire if I inflate only to 65 lbs, in order to stay within the specs of the wheel? Remember, OEM tires were LRC on 14 inch wheels supporting only 1760 lbs. Weight is not a concern as I will never come close to max weight limits on either LRD or LRE tire.

The only other thing that worries me is the stiffness in the LRE rubber. Comparing the Carlisle LRD to the OEM Trailer Kings is night and day. The tire is just so much more beefy. Don't really want to rip apart the trailer because its rolling on unforgiving rubber. Opinions?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #31
CaptnJohn

I really do not think you would have a problem with the heavier sidewall. Doubt you would find much different in towing or in how it treated the camper. My concern is running them under the max rated PSI. I know some do and some manufacturers have charts about it.
You may want to go to http://www.rvtiresafety.net . A site of a Tire Engineer for over 40 years. Drop Roger a note ~~~

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #32
slow

Quote:
Ordered 225 75 15s in LRD at Walmart.com last week. They came in 3 days later and were DOT stamped "2016". Too aged for me so I received a refund. The next day, ordered the same tire from Amazon.com. Received them today and they were stamped "1616". What's up with year old inventory with this size/load rated tire?

My first attempt at ordering tires from DT resulted in LRE tires. They were much newer around Nov 2016. I'm just wondering if my quest for load rated D tires in size 225/75/15 is futile.

I'm considering the LRE tires as I think the local stock is much more fresh. My only reserve is my wheel capacity at 2540 lbs. If the LRE tired max inflation pressure is 80 lbs supporting 2800 lbs, will it compromise the tire if I inflate only to 65 lbs, in order to stay within the specs of the wheel? Remember, OEM tires were LRC on 14 inch wheels supporting only 1760 lbs. Weight is not a concern as I will never come close to max weight limits on either LRD or LRE tire.

The only other thing that worries me is the stiffness in the LRE rubber. Comparing the Carlisle LRD to the OEM Trailer Kings is night and day. The tire is just so much more beefy. Don't really want to rip apart the trailer because its rolling on unforgiving rubber. Opinions?
I am running into a similar dilemma. Maxxis Canada's stock is dated mid 2015 so nearly two years old. They have over 30 tires in the 8 ply in 225/75/R15 and a dozen in the 10 ply currently in stock at heavily discounted prices. So neither seems to be a practical option given their age. The local distributor of the Carlisle HDs has over three dozen in stock of the 8 ply, and my dealer says they are dated mid 2016.

So my current thinking is to keep running my Trail Kings with a date code of week 26 2014 until mid this summer so local stock get replenished with newer tires. But I am starting to get nervous even with TPMS.

BTW: Carlisle states that their tires are to be inflated to the max sidewall pressure. Whereas Maxxis implies with their load inflation chart that it is not a requirement. When I called Maxxis Canada, they confirmed that their ST tires can be run at lower than max pressure but the recommended inflations in the chart needed to be respected. CW, does this agree with your experience / insights?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #33
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Just picked up my Carlisle Radial Trail HD 235/85R16 F yesterday and had it balanced and mounted Date was 4916 roughly Nov 2016. My Tire shop said warehouse still had Radial Trail RH that was one superseded by the HD would like to know what dates were on those
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #34
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I am running into a similar dilemma. Maxxis Canada's stock is dated mid 2015 so nearly two years old. They have over 30 tires in the 8 ply in 225/75/R15 and a dozen in the 10 ply currently in stock at heavily discounted prices. So neither seems to be a practical option given their age. The local distributor of the Carlisle HDs has over three dozen in stock of the 8 ply, and my dealer says they are dated mid 2016.

So my current thinking is to keep running my Trail Kings with a date code of week 26 2014 until mid this summer so local stock get replenished with newer tires. But I am starting to get nervous even with TPMS.

BTW: Carlisle states that their tires are to be inflated to the max sidewall pressure. Whereas Maxxis implies with their load inflation chart that it is not a requirement. When I called Maxxis Canada, they confirmed that their ST tires can be run at lower than max pressure but the recommended inflations in the chart needed to be respected. CW, does this agree with your experience / insights?
I'm realizing that US merchants are off loading old stock at discounted prices. For $6 more a tire, I can purchase LRE at about 4 months old.

I just sent an email to Roger at rvsafety.net to see what his thoughts are on under-inflating higher load rated tires.

Never thought I would put so much effort into a tire/wheel purchase for my trailer!

Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #35
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Called Carlisle a couple times, they recommend that you run their tires at max which in my case is 95 PSI regardless of load. My tire guy said I probably could run them at 90 PSI. Most of the time as long as they are not below 92 I do not worry about them. I have the Tire Minder TPMS and monitor all 12 tires, would not go out of the driveway without them!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #36
busterbrown

I received an email response from Roger over at rvtiresafety.net. Here it is:

"OK you have a few different issues.

Tires are made in batches. For relatively small markets its possible that a company may only make an item once a year or even less frequently While tire age is of concern when the tires are on the ground it's less of an issue when in the factory warehouse. One way to let your mind rest a bit is to ask when the warranty clock starts ticking. Some companies clearly state on day of application or first retail sale. Others say the warranty is based on DOT serial. if it's based on date of sale, and clearly stated as such in the literature I would be less concerned and just be sure that the sales receipt has the date and DOT serial of each tire identified.

Now since you have taken the step of going from the 14" ST205/75R14 LRC to ST225/75R15 LRD you have increased the load capacity from 1760 @ 50psi to 2540@ 65 psi. You have increased the reserve load capacity by over 50% which should deliver very reliable service. While I do not have any data to go on I think that when inflated to the same psi the LR=D and LR-E would have similar stiffness. Its the air that supports the load and its the air that provides the majority of the tire stiffness.

For you application I would think there would be no problems with running LR-E tires at the wheel limit of 65psi

So bottom line I think you can go with the year old LR-D tires or run the LR-E at 65"

I think I'm going to take his advice. I'm on my way to Discount tire to order LR-E's now!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #37
BrentB

Quote:
I received an email response from Roger over at rvtiresafety.net.

For your application I would think there would be no problems with running LR-E tires at the wheel limit of 65psi

So bottom line I think you can go with the year old LR-D tires or run the LR-E at 65"[/I]

I think I'm going to take his advice. I'm on my way to Discount tire to order LR-E's now!
Thanks for posting this! When I went to Discount Tire a while back, they could get Maxxis D's but they were about 2 years old. They could also get E's that were only 2 months old, but I was concerned about whether or not I could run them at 65 psi, which is what the wheel is rated for. I'm glad to hear that I can, since that is what I bought. For what it's worth, they did say that the 3 year warranty started on the install date, not the manufacture date.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #38
CWtheMan

I don’t keep records of my postings. I just do them as they come along and to the subject at hand. I know I’ve posted this lately but maybe not in this forum.

Maxxis tires coming from Asian countries other than China may have a much higher tariff percentage than China currently has on ST tires. Therefore, their prices across the board may be higher than tires built and shipped from China.

Another factor is tire warranty. It can also effect retail prices. Here is an extreme that could also cause higher/lower tire prices. Maxxis tires have a 6 year warranty. That warranty time starts from the manufactured date on the tire’s sidewall. Carlisle tires have a 2 year warranty that starts from the date of purchase. If you don’t have the bill of sale it starts from the manufactured date on the tires.

Carlisle has, for a long time, sternly recommended full sidewall inflation pressures for their trailer tires. With shallow treads and dense tread compounds Carlisle says they will stay cool and last longer. They are not alone in their recommendations. Others with such information are not as easy to find as Carlisle.

This is short and basic. When replacing your Original Equipment (OE) tires with “plus sized” tires or tires with more load capacity, there are specific tire industry standards to follow. The very first and most important step is to ensure the replacement tires have equal or greater load capacity (via inflation) when compared to the OE tires listed on the vehicle’s tire labels. Then there are the common loop holes; make sure the rim is approved for the replacement tires, make sure there is enough clearance for the replacement tires to fit properly into the wheelwells and there is sufficient clearance between the tires so they are not going to scrub against each other during tight turns. Inflation pressures shown on the trailers tire placard will no longer be valid for most “Plus sized” fitments. The new (minimum) recommended inflation pressures will be whatever it takes to equal the load capacity of the OE tires. When going up a load range with the same basic sized tire (LRD to LRE) the tire placard pressures are still valid. However you will gain the extra load capacity from the LRE tires by increasing the inflation pressures. What will you gain by using the LRD inflation pressures? Nothing in the way of extra load capacity. That can only be increased by increasing inflation pressures. Duribility? Maybe, but like all durability, it’s not measurable.

Example of durability; There are a couple of LT235/85R16E tires manufactured by different manufacturer’s that have full steel casings. One is also retreadable & regrrovable with tall dense treads, sidewall inserts and an extra steel belt. Very heavy and expensive. Its load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI. A like sized polyester tire from the same manufacturer has none of those durability factors. Its load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #39
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I don’t keep records of my postings. I just do them as they come along and to the subject at hand. I know I’ve posted this lately but maybe not in this forum.

Maxxis tires coming from Asian countries other than China may have a much higher tariff percentage than China currently has on ST tires. Therefore, their prices across the board may be higher than tires built and shipped from China.

Another factor is tire warranty. It can also effect retail prices. Here is an extreme that could also cause higher/lower tire prices. Maxxis tires have a 6 year warranty. That warranty time starts from the manufactured date on the tire’s sidewall. Carlisle tires have a 2 year warranty that starts from the date of purchase. If you don’t have the bill of sale it starts from the manufactured date on the tires.

Carlisle has, for a long time, sternly recommended full sidewall inflation pressures for their trailer tires. With shallow treads and dense tread compounds Carlisle says they will stay cool and last longer. They are not alone in their recommendations. Others with such information are not as easy to find as Carlisle.

This is short and basic. When replacing your Original Equipment (OE) tires with “plus sized” tires or tires with more load capacity, there are specific tire industry standards to follow. The very first and most important step is to ensure the replacement tires have equal or greater load capacity (via inflation) when compared to the OE tires listed on the vehicle’s tire labels. Then there are the common loop holes; make sure the rim is approved for the replacement tires, make sure there is enough clearance for the replacement tires to fit properly into the wheelwells and there is sufficient clearance between the tires so they are not going to scrub against each other during tight turns. Inflation pressures shown on the trailers tire placard will no longer be valid for most “Plus sized” fitments. The new (minimum) recommended inflation pressures will be whatever it takes to equal the load capacity of the OE tires. When going up a load range with the same basic sized tire (LRD to LRE) the tire placard pressures are still valid. However you will gain the extra load capacity from the LRE tires by increasing the inflation pressures. What will you gain by using the LRD inflation pressures? Nothing in the way of extra load capacity. That can only be increased by increasing inflation pressures. Duribility? Maybe, but like all durability, it’s not measurable.

Example of durability; There are a couple of LT235/85R16E tires manufactured by different manufacturer’s that have full steel casings. One is also retreadable & regrrovable with tall dense treads, sidewall inserts and an extra steel belt. Very heavy and expensive. Its load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI. A like sized polyester tire from the same manufacturer has none of those durability factors. Its load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI.
Greatly appreciate your feedback. As Roger pointed out, having pushed the reserved load capacity to up near 50%, I'm confident that either LRD or LRE will offer a comfortable alternative to the OEM tire's jaw dropping max load of 1760 lbs. I just want to buy tires less than 6 months old. This would give me 3 solid years of worry-free RVing.

The new wheels support a load of 2540 lbs. But there is no indication of max tire pressure on that wheel. As my trailer is relatively light and will never come close to the max load ratings of the LRE tires, could I effectively inflate the LRE tires on these new wheels to the maximum tire PSI of 80? Not sure if there is an "over-inflation" spec of the wheel. Most wheels I looked at only spec'd out a max weight, not a max pressure.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #40
CWtheMan

Quote:
As my trailer is relatively light and will never come close to the max load ratings of the LRE tires, could I effectively inflate the LRE tires on these new wheels to the maximum tire PSI of 80? Not sure if there is an "over-inflation" spec of the wheel. Most wheels I looked at only spec'd out a max weight, not a max pressure.
Those questions need to be answered by the rim manufacturer. Rims are certified by the SAE for weight & psi ratings.

This reference is an example of how this particular manufacturer displays each rim's specs.

http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/t07wm.html
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires