Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
campinfan

rain in frig compartment

Has anyone had it rain hard enough that water got into the refrigerator compartment from the outside through the grate that covers the access to the outside? It was pouring down hard today. Severe storms. I went to check the frig area and when I pulled the bottom outside panel off, there was standing water. I pulled the top one off and it was basically dry except for near the bottom of the frame where there was some caulk that was really thin and missing. I am thinking the water came in and went through the places there was no caulk.

It looks like the water may have splashed in and then found the area with little caulk and then traveled to the bottom of the frig compartment. I can see where some water is on the side of the frig but the top area is basically dry other than near the frame. Also the gap between the louvered cover and the frame is about 1/8th of an inch...maybe it got in there. We got about an inch or more of rain in a short time.

The side walls of the compartment are dry also. I have a heater in there now drying it out. The bottom access panel has a lip behind it (actually the floor) that acts as a backstop and pushed the water out thru some weep holes in the frame, the top access panel does not have this lip.
campinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
Jay Pat

I have no experience with this. Just a thought....
Check the roof vent.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
campinfan

It was dry up on the top of the frig area and on the walls of the compartment. The vent was dry too and all around it. It seems it got in by the louvers and then ran down the outside wall as there was sparse caulking and it was wet there. Its the area right where the frame of the louver grate attaches to the trailer. The lower unit had a piece of wood that acted as a backstop and it was all caulked up. It would push any water back out. The top had nothing to stop the water once it got in. Today I added a piece of wood to make a back stop and caulked it up good making sure any water would head to the weep channels in the frame.

I appreciate the response to my question.
campinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
grayghost03

Hard blown, driving rains can leak in thru the outside vent, I would double check the sealant and be sure that it is well caulked. Good idea on the top dam.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Javi

I wonder if the drain hose is sticking out of the vent far enough that it doesn't drain into the compartment...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote