Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Jbrunson

Advice sought- 04 Zeppelin 181

Going tomorrow afternoon to look - can anyone point out the common things to look for on these models? Also.... Approximate value??

Thanks a bunch
Jbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

jbrunson -
Since the Zep has been out of production for some time, there aren't too many current members who have one so feedback on this model may be hard to come by. If you do a forum search (Zeppelin), you will find some older posts/threads that may provide you with some information. Try a Google search to find the rough value of the Zep.

Two of my concerns with an 8 year old RV would be the tires and suspension system. If the tires are the originals, they should be replaced regardless of how good they look. They are already well past their prime. Schackles, bolts, hangers, and axles should all be given a thorough inspection.

Another thing to look for would be any evidence of leaks. If you are able, get up on the roof and give it a really close look. Check the condition of the caulking around vents, etc., as well as around all the windows. If it is a rubber roof, you should not see any silicone sealant that has been applied to anything on the roof. Silicone and EPDM rubber are not compatible and if silicone has been used, it may have comprised the roof's integrity. It should be removed, thoroughly cleaned and a Dicor-type sealant applied.

Also check the interior for signs of water penetration. Look in cupboards, at the walls, ceilings and floors for any signs of discoloration, swelling, waviness or softness.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Paddler

I'm just going by memory here, so I could be wrong. I seem to remember some of the Zeppelins advertised having an "European BAL Frame" This frame is easy to spot, at regular intervals along the frame rails there are large oblong cutouts. (saving weight) Well, it seems on trailers longer than 25 ft they had some real frame problems. I believe Thor industries also use that frame on Kodiak's in the 2004-2007 time frame.