Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

If this was an "aeroplane" (real ones have propedders and bugs on the windscreen) it would be documented this way:

Malfunction Code: 374*
Repair Code: R&R **

*374= Internal Malfunction of component, specific reason unknown (mystery)
** R&R= Remove and Replace malfunctioning component
*** Code 1= Function Check complete, "aeroplane" fully functional.....

In an RV, apparently someone let the "magic smoke" out of the water pump. Change it out and turn on the switch and open a faucet. If it works, turn off the pump switch, connect the city water and open a faucet. If water flows, turn on the pump switch and see if the pump turns on or stays off.... If it turns on, find another magician (to verify presence of "magic smoke" in the new pump)... If it stays off, go camping.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

John: in a properly functioning RV, the water pump will run with the city water connected and a faucet turned on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #23
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I don't have a clue as to the city water and pump references but thought the smarter folks on the forum could parse this mess out!
Sorry it seems a mess to you. Yes tank full. Yes hose disconnected and pump won’t turn on. The entire reference to turning pump on with city water on was because I was trying anything and everything I could think of to troubleshoot the problem.

Final conclusion appears to be the pressure switch on the head of pump is not recognizing the negative pressure when a faucet is opened. Best I can tell is that when I randomly turned the pump on with the city water connected and on was that it caused a negative pressure in the outflow side of the pump that the pressure switch recognized which caused the pump to turn on. I’ll post after replacing the pump with the result of what I find.
Holmesfamilyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Where’s the Tylenol?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
John: in a properly functioning RV, the water pump will run with the city water connected and a faucet turned on.
It won't in my Cougar XLite: To further explain, if the city water pressure is 70PSI and the FloJet "regulated pressure" is 55PSI, the pump till not turn on. I suppose that's because the "cold water line pressure" does not fall below the 55PSI pump pressure switch setting. If the city water pressure is 30PSI, then turn on the FloJet and it will start to run (to augment the low pressure) until the line pressure is 55PSI. When you open a faucet and the line pressure drops, the pump will turn on to keep the 55PSI line pressure constant. If the line pressure (from the city water pressure of, say 70PSI remains constant, then the pump will not run....

So, at least in my Cougar, if the city water pressure is "greater than the pump pressure switch setting" the water pump will not turn on... If the city water pressure is "lower than the pressure switch setting" the pump will run to increase "cold water line pressure beyond the pump head" to the pressure switch setting....

It starts to get complex when using two "water sources" to equalize pressure in the cold water line (which in turn pressurizes the hot water line) and the two "water sources" are different pressures. Both sources, depending on their individual pressure setting, will directly increase the "line pressure" to their setting (provided their flow rates will allow them to achieve maximum set pressure)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It won't in my Cougar XLite: To further explain, if the city water pressure is 70PSI and the FloJet "regulated pressure" is 55PSI, the pump till not turn on. I suppose that's because the "cold water line pressure" does not fall below the 55PSI pump pressure switch setting. If the city water pressure is 30PSI, then turn on the FloJet and it will start to run (to augment the low pressure) until the line pressure is 55PSI. When you open a faucet and the line pressure drops, the pump will turn on to keep the 55PSI line pressure constant. If the line pressure (from the city water pressure of, say 70PSI remains constant, then the pump will not run....

So, at least in my Cougar, if the city water pressure is "greater than the pump pressure switch setting" the water pump will not turn on... If the city water pressure is "lower than the pressure switch setting" the pump will run to increase "cold water line pressure beyond the pump head" to the pressure switch setting....

It starts to get complex when using two "water sources" to equalize pressure in the cold water line (which in turn pressurizes the hot water line) and the two "water sources" are different pressures. Both sources, depending on their individual pressure setting, will directly increase the "line pressure" to their setting (provided their flow rates will allow them to achieve maximum set pressure)...
Makes sense. I guess the water pressure at work is low. I need to measure it when I get a chance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #27
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

This is true. At home my pressure is 60 and the pump wont run. When we camp at most places we fill the fresh tank and hook to city water. Before a shower we turn on the pump, take a nice shower with the higher pressure and turn the pump off when done. The 40 or so psi works for washing dishes and hands without the pump.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #28
dogbate1

I have a 2004 Keystone Cougar fifth wheel, and had the same problem when my rig was new. My pump doesn't work when hooked up to city water. Somehow it is wired to not run when hooked to city water. Why would you need your pump to run anyway?
dogbate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #29
GBR

When you filled your tank did you not have to switch from city water to tank fill. Once full did you switch the dial back to run off the tank. Just a thought.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #30
Ragermack

Sounds like the pressure switch is hooked up to normally open contact instead of normally closed
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #31
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbate1 View Post
I have a 2004 Keystone Cougar fifth wheel, and had the same problem when my rig was new. My pump doesn't work when hooked up to city water. Somehow it is wired to not run when hooked to city water. Why would you need your pump to run anyway?
It was just part of troubleshooting is all.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #32
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
When you filled your tank did you not have to switch from city water to tank fill. Once full did you switch the dial back to run off the tank. Just a thought.
I did disconnect city water completely.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #33
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragermack View Post
Sounds like the pressure switch is hooked up to normally open contact instead of normally closed
That’s a possible. I have a new pump and will switch it out this weekend.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #34
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Where’s the Tylenol?
Yep.