Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #41
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Sadly what most likely caused your roof to tear like this was voids in the self leveling sealant at the roof membrane to front cap trim junction strip.. Once a void occurs... and it did... the airflow started working up under the membrane and created a bubble and tore the membrane back... roof should be inspected at least 3 or 4 times a year depending on use

You wont have any luck with any warranty on that...
That's inaccurate. Keystone has a 3 year warranty on structural components, including roof and roof installation defects. Contact them now, as your up against the clock.

Here is the link to their warranty.

https://www.keystonerv.com/warranty/
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
That's inaccurate. Keystone has a 3 year warranty on structural components, including roof and roof installation defects. Contact them now, as your up against the clock.

Here is the link to their warranty.

https://www.keystonerv.com/warranty/
Read the last sentence in your link: "THIS IS ONLY A SUMMARY OF THE BASE AND STRUCTURAL LIMITED WARRANTIES OFFERED BY KEYSTONE RV COMPANY. FOR INFORMATION REGARDING KEYSTONE’S LIMITED WARRANTIES, PLEASE REFER TO THE OWNER’S MANUALS PROVIDED WITH THE RECREATIONAL VEHICLE OR GO TO KEYSTONE’S WEBSITE AT WWW.KEYSTONERV.COM"

When you go to the Owner's Manual, there is a specific section that deals with the exclusions to the warranty. There are several exclusions that might apply to this roof situation. Then there is the "Damage vs Defect" clause... The question becomes, Did the owner "damage" the roof by failing to properly maintain the roof/front cap seam" or is this a "defect" caused by the factory and not associated with any "owner responsibility to maintain the seam" ?????

It's not an "open and shut case" and the warranty may or may not apply when Keystone first makes a decision. It will be in the owner's personal interest to fully document EVERYTHING that he has done, to make sure the dealership that reports the damage FULLY documents their findings and that they include an assessment of what they have determined to be the cause of the roof bubble.... Depending on how the owner and the dealer document this, Keystone could accept the claim or deny it. Once that happens, if Keystone says no, it's an extremely steep uphill battle to get them to change their decision.... It's best to FULLY document the ENTIRE history, include all photos of the area, all maintenance history, receipts for DICOR purchased at intervals and dated photos of the roof after maintenance was completed.... Without a complete history, the "damage not defect" conclusion is likely to fall in Keystone's favor..... I know this seems to be "over the top" documentation, but the outcome depends on the steps taken along the way. Skip a step, you'll stumble....

I hope it works out for the owner, but it's not as "easy as reading what's printed in your link" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #43
fulltilt

You are looking for pics of the front cap to EPDM transition. On the Dutchman Forum, go to search, then type in roof membrane replacement, I documented my roof replacement there, you should find what you are looking for. Just use your Keystone username & password, they are the same. My front nose was a fiberglass cap, but the methodology is the same.
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #44
mtworks

Look at the staples showing under the mesa metal, luan also has cracks and linear separation separation. Maybe roof rot from water damage caused the trim strip to let loose and the mesa came loose exposing the edpm, and the wind got under it and ripped. Seen this before at the shop
mtworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #45
jmorse62

Thanks for all the great information here, you were all correct in your observations.
Warranty - expired the day before damage, doubtful they would do anything.
Insurance - likely will not cover the damage because of previous water damage, and the trailer did not have contact with anything.
RV- Armor - may use them for the repair, I am slightly concerned about the high price of $3600 for a 18 ft TT. Also they are pretty backed up and looking at October repair in the midwest. Not sure if that will work.
Lesson learned about roof maintenance.
jmorse62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #46
jmorse62

Thanks to Keystone for repairing my roof under warranty.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:50 AM   #47
Campermike

Wow that's great news. I remember reading about this. So they stepped up and repaired it for you after all?
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:57 AM   #48
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse62 View Post
Thanks to Keystone for repairing my roof under warranty.
Wow. That's great news. Thanks for reporting back here.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #49
rjrelander

Wow. Did they provide any details that you can share or did you catch them on a good day and they just signed it off?

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #50
jmorse62

I emailed asking about how to get it repaired and sent the pics and explanation. They said they would cover it without me asking. I'm guessing they saw the pics and realized they screwed up when they built it, but that is just a guess.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #51
Ken / Claudia

Great that they stepped up and did what needed to be done. Thanks for sharing. There are not many good news cases on here about Keystone fixing their problems.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:46 AM   #52
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Roadglide, You keep that up and you will end up with an Airstream camper!
I knew I heard that before lol . I still have one sheet of aluminum acquired from the salvage yard wire wheel on a grinder pretty nice. I bought a sheet for my bike trailer cost $150 this year. First repair failed I ordered a roll of 6 x 50‘ eternabond tape about 80 bucks. I haven’t used it again still in the rv. The area I repair is 100% walkable The solar panels are secure. Being hardheaded I knew I wasn’t going to spend $18,000 on a $40,000 trailer and not being happy with the work.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:21 AM   #53
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse62 View Post
I emailed asking about how to get it repaired and sent the pics and explanation. They said they would cover it without me asking. I'm guessing they saw the pics and realized they screwed up when they built it, but that is just a guess.
Wow, great news! You need to go buy a lottery ticket because you sure hit the Keystone lottery. When you get your trailer back, get up there and take some good pictures. Make sure all the seams and joints have been installed properly and good seals. Look everything over closely. This will probably be your only chance to make sure the replacement was done properly. Best of luck! Its been with you so far.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof