Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
IdahoGuy95

Landing Gear and Slide Outs not operating

2010 Cougar 293 SAB

Okay...so in a nutshell I've cooked something and I am not sure where to look.

I hadn't used my trailer in a while as my college student was living in it the past two years on my property. So I was in the process of preparing it for hook up to my truck and moving in to my driveway to clean, organize and inventory it. In doing this I was raising the hitch up to fit in my truck and the landing gear wasn't extending high enough and then the motor stopped. I had forgotten to retract the rear stabilizers which was preventing the landing gear from extending...oops!!!!

I was sure I had cooked the motor for the landing gear doing this. So to quickly test my theory, I direct connected the motor to the battery to see if it truly was dead, and to my amazement it still works. So I went in the trailer to check the fuses and main power panel, everything looks fine and no blown fuses but I did find that the slide outs won't extend. All other electrical works (water pump, outlets, lights, appliances, AC, etc)

So I am thinking I've killed something that controls the high amperage motors but I cannot find anything online so I am reaching out for any help guidance you may have on where to look for possible issues.

Currently my trailer is hooked up to my 30A RV service panel so I feel confident power shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,
Brandon
2010 Cougar 293 SAB
2014 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel
IdahoGuy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I’m guessing you tripped a self resetting circuit breaker. Being that its 10 years old it may not be resetting. Take a look in the basement near the battery.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
tech740

My 2011 cougar had a online fuse for the landing gear. It wasn’t at the fuse panel. I would start there and work backwards.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you open the front storage compartment door, stick your head inside, roll over on your back and look up, above the door, you'll find a wiring harness that is attached to the front wall of that compartment. It's going to have a red fuse socket with a 15 or 20 amp fuse in it. I'd guess you've blown that fuse.

It's awkward to see, even more difficult to change, because you've got to be a "contortionist" to even get to it, but I'd bet that's your problem....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
IdahoGuy95

Thanks for all the suggestions

It appears that this component is the culprit. When I wire each component that wasn't working directly to the +/- wires they work properly. So I am going to replace this with two bus bars.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions!

Brandon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_203456.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	29177  
Old 08-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Carl n Susan

Before you run off and rip things out try this.

That sure looks like a "brain" for rigs with a remote control. Note the "Program" button in the lower right corner. That is what you use to sync a new remote with the unit. Anyway the "brain" has an internal interlock that prohibits using the switches and the remote at the same time. That interlock has a nasty habit of failing.

If you have the remote, try it and I bet it works. To make the switches work, remove the Ground wire from the "Brain" and connect it to the frame. Try it and see if the switches now work. In some cases, folks have had to also move the wire connected to the Positive post to a real 12V source.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
IdahoGuy95

Unfortunately when I purchased the rig, it didn't have a remote for the landing gear and slide outs.

I would love to try it but I don't have the remote.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
Carl n Susan

You don't need a remote to move the ground wire from the "brain" to the frame. Try it and see if your switches start working again.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
IdahoGuy95

Sorry, I misunderstood. I will do that tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
Carl n Susan

You may have to move the Positive to a 12V source too. But usually moving the Ground does the trick.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #11
IdahoGuy95

Update

Sorry about the delay. That remote panel would not function after trying all the advice in the forum. So I spent $20 on two new bus bars and rewired the landing gear, slide outs, and docking lights. It worked like a champ. Thanks again for all your help and advice!

Brandon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rewired.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	29451  
Old 11-28-2023, 09:45 AM   #12
Nancy M.

I have a 2010 Montana 3455sa model
My slides stopped working on the last slide-out coming out. Then no power at all to the slides and now the landing gear.
After 2 days of trying to find a blown fuse or whatever to fix the problem. This is a step by step how I fixed the problem
How to do a remote reset
To turn on remote-
Press LCI button then press ON button on remote
To reset remote: the panel board is in the front of the rv by the battery, up on the wall.
There is a reset button on the right side of the panel
Hold Reset button IN until red light comes on, release it when it turns red,hit any button on remote control before the red light on the panel starts flashing.

I hope this helps a lot of people because it's very frustrating trying to figure it out. Mine was fixed with these steps. Hope it helped.
Nancy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:20 AM   #13
Chuitt

Replaced Jack Now Not Moving

I have the lippert 6 point auto leveling system. I had the left front jack rebuild because of leaking, and replaced two hydraulic hoses with leaky fittings. Have plenty of fluid in the reservoir. Pump is running when I hit the switches. None of the 6 jacks are moving up or down. Priming problem? If so, how do I prime the system? Thanks Guys!!
Chuitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear, slide, slide out