Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
P&DZ

Equalizer - Help Please

My TT is at a local repair shop for its annual maintenance including pack the wheel berating, check the brakes, etc.
I just received an email estimate from the repair shop stating "the equalizers both have rotten rubber bushings. We recommend replacing the equalizers".
They are recommending EQUA-FLEX Rubberized Equalizer, Tandem Axle, Heavy Duty. The estimate is for $315.95.

Questions: What is an equalizer? Would they indeed hve rotten rubber bushings? If so should they be replaced and is $315 a reasonable charge?
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
Wyldfire

https://www.lci1.com/suspension-enhancement
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
tech740

Not sure on the charge amount. It is between the axles to equalize the load on each. If they are bad they need replaced.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
fjr vfr

Price sounds about right. It varies depending on axle capacity. I replaced the EQUA-FLEX equalizers on my trailer last year. They do wear out over time and the rubber loses it's elasticity and flattens out, which means they stop doing their job. Mine lasted 8 years before replacing.
Check the prices on etrailer that match your axles. While at it you may want to upgrade to the heavy duty shackles and wet bolts.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
P&DZ

Thanks folks! I now know what an equalizer is and what it does. It is not that I do not trust the local repair shop, in fact I have used them for several years and have been pleased. It is a matter of getting educated and a second opinion. And this is the best place to get both. I had them order the EQUA-FLEX replacements and they will be installed by the end of the month.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Thanks folks! I now know what an equalizer is and what it does. It is not that I do not trust the local repair shop, in fact I have used them for several years and have been pleased. It is a matter of getting educated and a second opinion. And this is the best place to get both. I had them order the EQUA-FLEX replacements and they will be installed by the end of the month.
While the trailer suspension is apart to replace the equalizers, it's an excellent time to spend another $125-150 and install "wet bolts" and thicker shackles. The cheap plastic bushings installed at the factory usually don't last through the first season and since then, you've been towing "metal on metal" at all of the spring/shackle points. Since they'll have it apart, it's an excellent time to do it now rather than when a spring bolt breaks on the road.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
P&DZ

Thanks, I have a message into the repair shop to get an estimate on the wet bolts and shackles.