Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
ADQ K9

Dining table and chairs

Teenager leaning back on one of the dining chairs cracked the legs. Where can I get another chair.? No identity on the chair except "Georgia" stamped on the bottom. From a 2017 Cougar 29 RKSWE champange decor on the interior. Pad folds forward for storage. So I can swap the pad over if different but I want the wood to match.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

OK, "here's the deal"... You can go to this link and buy a chair from Trekwood.com https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword Just choose your cushion fabric, platinum or pebble.

Problem: The chairs, as you found out when the legs broke, are not "the greatest quality"… At $200 for the chair and another $100+ for shipping, you can toss the other three chairs into the campfire and buy 4 matching chairs (of better quality) at any furniture store, probably for less than the price of a single replacement chair... As for the storage compartments, except for storing YAHTZEE score pads and "secret decoder rings" the storage compartments really aren't that "beneficial"

Anyway, here's the link to the chairs. Shop around, you might find them cheaper at another dealer, even on eBay. The manufacturer is Georgia Chair Company in Gainesville, GA.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
travelin texans

I agree!
Don't waste your $$ on very overpriced poor quality chairs. Go find 4 much better quality built at your local furniture store. Having the original furniture WILL NOT increase the value of your RV one cent when trading or selling.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
ADQ K9

Thanks will consult with the DW. Teaching the teenager a lesson, coming out of his bank account. 4 chairs might be a little too much for him since the TKD school he is working for is closed due to COVID-19 and he is buying only necessary things with his savings.
Haven't really used the storage feature on them thinking the only thing we would put in them would be a single place setting, place mats napkins etc
Old 05-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Money penalties are one lesson, another is to "work off a debt", as in chores.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
ADQ K9

Marshall, true to that. My goal is to live long enough that he has to take care of me.
Put an email into Trekwood just to see how much shipping is to Alaska
Old 05-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
dutchmensport

My 34 year old son did the same thing. Now, I'm a hobby carpenter wood-worker for the last 60 years of my life, grew up with a hammer in my hand. I took the broken chair and mended it. It took some TLC, but it came out almost unnoticeable that it was ever damaged. I then put the chair in the corner of the table with a wall behind it so it cannot lean backwards any more. The whole time though, I tried to convince the wife to get 4 REAL kitchen chairs, but she wanted to keep the originals. And ... what Momma wants, Momma gets... Happy wife, happy life!

This is the second camper we've had that had a free standing kitchen table and 4 chairs where the chairs broke. In our previous Outback we tossed 2 chairs because they broke. Eventually we gave the other 2 to GoodWill and removed the table completely and put in a full residential reclining couch.

if you have any carpentry skills and a place to work, it would create some good bonding time with your son to try to repair the chair. You may have to think outside the box to fix it, but having him actually work to do this kind of a repair, especially with you by his side, will do more emotionally and mentally, sharing something together and teaching him there are repercussions to our actions, than simply forking over money paying his way out of a problem.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, to "wax philosophical" for a moment. Teaching a young man the responsibility of fixing/replacing what he breaks is a valuable lesson. At the same time, having him pay an outrageous price for a substandard chair, then add insult to the experience with the shipping charges that will likely be as much or more than the chair.. Well that's definitely not a lesson in value or money management...

What to do? What to do !!!!! This is one time when I'm happy mine are grown, on their own and no longer looking to Dad for "lessons learned"...

Today's complicated world doesn't make your job any easier. Good luck navigating those waters!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Customer1

My wife broke the back on one of ours. I used wood glue and clamps. I work with wood a lot, a glue joint is stronger than the wood itself.