Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
DDG

Accordian blinds

I have a question on these blinds. We have them in our camper and I'm want to know is it ok to leave them down when you put your camper in storage. Thanks for any help. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose everyone has an opinion and you'll probably get as many "yes" as "no" on the subject.

I leave ours down. The reasons:

1. Closed blinds prevent as much sunlight into the coach. That helps prevent sun fade on the interior wood, fabric, carpet and even the walls.
2. The blinds, when closed, will also fade, but usually it's the side next to the window, the side that isn't seen from inside the trailer and is "masked" by the tinted windows when viewed from outside, so the fading usually isn't even visible to most people who casually look at the trailer.
3. The blinds can be replaced for less than the cost of replacing or reupholstering the furniture and the trailer interior.
4. Closing the blinds during storage can, in many situations, reduce the heat gain on the inside of the trailer. Keeping the interior cooler can prevent adhesive on the vinyl wallboard and other surfaces from loosening. This can, in some situations, prevent damage to the walls, ceiling and in some trailers, even the cabinet surfaces.

I'm sure there are other reasons to keep them closed, and no doubt, there are some who would suggest there are reasons to keep them open. But for me, keeping them closed seems to make the most valid arguments for protecting the trailer interior.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
DDG

Thanks for the information on these blinds. Have you notice any sagging or drooping in your blinds. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
vampress_me

I have also always closed our blinds whenever we aren’t using the camper, for all the same reasons John listed. In the 6 summers we have had the camper, I have one window (in the “hall” by the bathroom) that I think the accordion blind has been opened only 3-4 times total (once was last weekend). It spends it’s life closed. And works just as well as the others that do get used most weekends. So, I don’t think keeping a blind closed does anything bad to the blind itself.

The only blind I’ve noticed has a slight issue on not being straight (bottom rail of plastic has a slight bow upwards in the middle) is the big one at the booth. But I know that’s because some of those who open it use only 1 hand pushing up in the middle of the blind instead of 2 hands on each side...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote