Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
RollTide850

Help me choose

Well, up until today I thought I had made up my mind on our new 5r... (Avalanche 321RS). Then I looked at a Montana 3121RL, which has very close to the same layout, but the Montana seems so much more solidly constructed. Now I'm at a dilemma as to which one to purchase.

Keep in mind, myself and the wife will be living in it for the next 10 - 11 months straight for our work. It will also be going to many more extended stay job sites in the future.

So I suppose I'm trying to get some justification for spending an extra $12- $14K on a very similarly laid out 5r... Before it comes up, yes we can afford the extra money if it is justifiable.

Any pros and cons are greatly appreciated.
RollTide850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
purebred

We had the same feelings between a Cougar, Montana and Alpine. We sold our house and are now full timers. The Cougar was nice but like you mentioned not up to snuff with the Montana. It was a hard decision for us but after countless hours of decision making we ended up going with the Alpine. Good luck. It all boils down to what makes you happy and how much you're willing to spend.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
msubobcats

Will just throw this out and ask if you have enough truck for the Avalanche or the Montana?

Enjoy.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

We have a Laredo 350 FB. The king bed and extra half bath make living in for a couple very comfortable.
This trailer is only 2 feet longer than the one you are looking at and is one ton (2000 lbs.) lighter with about the same cargo carrying capacity.
Might give it a look.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
Gary4

We have a Montana High Country and love it. It’s perfect for two people. It’s a 305rL. We’re driving 1,900 miles to Moab Utah Thursday morning. We will get there Labor Day evening. I don’t have any unexpected worries, other than the normal. I say get the Montana.
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
John&Genny

We have a 2017 Avalanche 320RS and love the rig and the layout. Plus we haven’t had any major problems with it so far.

However, if you have the money I would say go for the Montana. They are better built RV’s and probably what you need for full time RV’ing. The only reason the wife and I settled with the 320RS was at the time there were no similar floorplans in the Alpine/Montana lines with the large slides, big windows, etc. That changed with the popularity of the 320RS so now both lines have similar floorplans/design.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:20 AM   #7
Mikendebbie

Montana

Go over to the Montana Owners Club Forum. Lots of helpful information. I read this forum and the MOC forum. We have been very happy with our unit and have had no major problems. I have addressed the small stuff myself with help from both forums.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Daryles

We have a 2019 Montana 3130re purchased in May. LOVE IT!!! Already did 2 long trips in it this summer. One to Rapid City SD (over 2000 miles round trip). One to Austin TX (over 1000 miles round trip and 100deg + all week, no AC issues at all).
Everything works perfectly.
Do your home work on load capacity and tow vehicle capacity. We got a 2016 F350 Super Duty Lariate crew cab, long bed, DRW. Very comfortable ride. Very stable.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
xrated

As mentioned above, I seriously doubt that you have enough truck for a 5ver of that weight. 3/4T trucks, especially if they are diesel, are notoriously lacking in the payload category. The truck will have a white/yellow sticker on the driver side door post that will tell you exactly what your payload numbers were, on the truck when it was built. The Montana has a GVWR of roughly 16,300 lbs which if loaded to that weight or close to it will be putting at least 3300-3400 lbs of pin weight in your truck.....which likely has a payload of ~2200 lbs, but check the sticker to be sure. Even the totally empty weight of that trailer is going to be putting better than 2400 lbs of pin weight on the truck....and you have to also add the weight of the 5ver hitch against your payload numbers. Sorry but you just don't have enough truck. That Montana is really in Dually territory
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:49 AM   #10
CaptnJohn

I have had a Cougar, a HC, and now a Montana. Montana is far above all the rest. We are on the road 9 months with pauses at the s&b to regroup a couple times.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
RollTide850

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
As mentioned above, I seriously doubt that you have enough truck for a 5ver of that weight. 3/4T trucks, especially if they are diesel, are notoriously lacking in the payload category. The truck will have a white/yellow sticker on the driver side door post that will tell you exactly what your payload numbers were, on the truck when it was built. The Montana has a GVWR of roughly 16,300 lbs which if loaded to that weight or close to it will be putting at least 3300-3400 lbs of pin weight in your truck.....which likely has a payload of ~2200 lbs, but check the sticker to be sure. Even the totally empty weight of that trailer is going to be putting better than 2400 lbs of pin weight on the truck....and you have to also add the weight of the 5ver hitch against your payload numbers. Sorry but you just don't have enough truck. That Montana is really in Dually territory
I’m already shopping for an F350 DRW.
RollTide850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #12
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide850 View Post
I’m already shopping for an F350 DRW.
Yes ,that was in your original post. Don't know why these guy's are beating you up about your tow vehicle?
You cant go wrong with any of the Big 3 duallies.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Yes ,that was in your original post. Don't know why these guy's are beating you up about your tow vehicle?
You cant go wrong with any of the Big 3 duallies.
RMc
1. I didn't notice that tidbit, since it was in his signature line.

2. You have an active imagination if you think anyone on here is "beating him up" about his tow vehicle. It's called good advice and trying to help someone that may not know that the size trailer he is looking at is too big for his present truck. Why do we do that? Because we care about others and in my case, helping folks make good decisions about tow vehicles so that they don't make the same mistake that I did and buy something too small to safely tow their trailer. He obviously does, and my mistake was not seeing it because it was in the signature line instead of the body of his post.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
7Iron

Grand Design #1
Montana over Alpine ---you "feel' the difference

We originally purchased (made down payment) on a Montana without ever seeing the model in real life , and then one came to town (Mobile--Go LSU).....we got out of that deal and purchased a Cougar....doesn't have the bells and whistles , and the really quiet AC , but pulling the Cougar was a breeze and power and cargo wt left over....did not know it was back there until going down the mountains and then I knew something was there and I don't think it would have made a difference had we had the F350 DRW....

We just finished an 8k mile trip out west and back, the only time we puckered was going down >5% grades especially with switchbacks....I didn't even know what a switchback was .. "chain up here signs" was totally foreign to us and now we have grown to really dislike them.

But I really like the sound that the engine brakes makes...it is so sweet.
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
Sinton4616

I've 2018 Avalanche 321RS. The FW hasn't given us any major issues, but I hate the plastic bathroom sink. Will eventually replace that with stainless or porcelain.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
msubobcats

Sorry, but I don't see any info in the sig. Do I have some settings wrong?
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
boagey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide850 View Post
Well, up until today I thought I had made up my mind on our new 5r... (Avalanche 321RS). Then I looked at a Montana 3121RL, which has very close to the same layout, but the Montana seems so much more solidly constructed. Now I'm at a dilemma as to which one to purchase.

Keep in mind, myself and the wife will be living in it for the next 10 - 11 months straight for our work. It will also be going to many more extended stay job sites in the future.

So I suppose I'm trying to get some justification for spending an extra $12- $14K on a very similarly laid out 5r... Before it comes up, yes we can afford the extra money if it is justifiable.

Any pros and cons are greatly appreciated.
I like Montana HC but chose the Alpine since it was the 105" wheelbase, the added width made all the difference.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote