Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 04:19 AM   #1
dmcfarden

Trailair Triglide Lower Jaw Replacement - Not Happy

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this issue. We bought our 2012 DRV TKSB3 with Vanity slide new in 2012 and pulled it with our 2011 3/4 ton short bed Ford F250 diesel for several years with pullrite auto- slider hitch. It was nose high for sure and I attributed the chucking we experienced to that along with the undersized truck. We bought a new 2017 Ford F350 DRW diesel truck, thinking that we'd like to do a lot more traveling down the road and wanting a more stable safe ride. I bought a Curt Q24 which had good reviews and was rated for what we needed, even if we upgraded later.* It did sit lower but we were still nose high somewhat. The chucking seemed worse with the new truck than what we had on the old F250. Thinking the trailer needed to be raised, we added the Correct Track system which added 2" and now we're almost level, very close anyway. Still no help with the chucking. I read several posts about failed Triglides and even though mine hadn't failed, I contacted Lippert. They sent a new stationary, lower jaw at no cost, which I replaced a couple weeks ago. To be honest, I feel the chucking is worse and I'm tempted to put the Triglide back on the pin assembly. The next step would be to purchase a new hitch, thinking maybe the Curt Q24 isn't as good as the reviews have mentioned. I'm leaning toward the B&W 3305 25k hitch, but I'd hate to spend another $1,300 and have the same chucking problem. I've been the to the scales to weigh, and the trailer weighs 17,500 and my pin weight including the hitch is 4,350 lbs or 24.8% of the trailer weight. My wife is going nuts and ready to give it all up entirely. I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
dmcfarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Trailair Triglide Lower Jaw Replacement - Not Happy

Welcome to the forum. Couple of questions. How much air is in the pin box? Any suspension mods to the truck, Long or short bed?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
travelin texans

I had the Tri Glide TrailAir on my Redwood, if I inflated to air bag to the arrow as instructed the ride was too harsh. After experimenting I found a pressure that worked, but well below the arrows. Used it this way for 6+ years with no problems.
So maybe you're inflating too much or possibly not enough.
If you had the TriGlide with the 3 rollers on the pin there are 3 grease zerks up inside on each roller that when properly greased dampen the chucking along with the 3 on either side, 9 zerks total. Also if you call Lippert with your Vin # they will replace the lower jaw on the TriGlide due to safety issues that came to light recently.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
dmcfarden

Thanks for replying. No suspension mods just the Correct track. I’m running 100 psi on the pin air bag to get it to the arrow. I’ll lower it some but heck I’ve tried that before. My truck is a 2017 Ford F-350 4x4 DRW with the Curt Q24 hitch. I already have the lower jaw attached that Lippert sent for free. It’s stationary though. The triglide hasn’t failed though. Even with the triglide the ride wasn’t good.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
travelin texans

That 100 psi is the max (minimum is 5psi) for the airbag & should be way to much.
I had a dually GMC (sorry but they have a better ride empty than a Ford) with a B&W Companion hitch & aired mine to 70 psi & if on a very bad stretch of road aired it down to about 60psi. As I said don't pay any attention to the arrows, find the best pressure for you.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-30-2019, 05:05 AM   #6
dadnjesse

I had the Curt Q24 and my fifth wheel always had the chucking, I switched to a B&W companion, the chucking disappeared. Every situation is different but it fixed mine. Also whenever I was at any angle I could not pull the pin on the Curt.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
dmcfarden

I have the same issue pulling the pin on the Curt. We're on the road now and I'll add some water to the supply tank and drop the pressure some in Trailair pin bag. When we get home I think I'll put the triglide back on and buy a B&W hitch.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
travelin texans

On the TriGlide be sure to keep all those zerks greased it really helps dampen the chucking, unless it's wore out.
After greasing all 9 zerks if you can easily push it back & forth it's worn out, if it has noticable resistance it's still good.
As for the B&W, I've had 2-3 other brands of 5er hitches & wouldn't trade the B&W for any of them. Easy to hitch/unhitch at any angle, 2 pieces light enough to handle, great customer service & made in the USA.
Replacement undetermined