Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
cjcoult

fan on fridge in slideout

The fan at the top of the fridge runs often. We dry camp once a summer and I am assuming this fan is using much battery power as we don't use much else, not even lights often as use lanterns... Can I disconnect this while we dry camp? I am assuming it is there for a reason. I use 2 12 volt batteries in parallel and 100W solar panel, but it doesn't last long.
cjcoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your fridge is on a slide, those fans are critical for air movement and proper operation of the cooling unit. Depending on fridge brand/model there may be up to 4 fans. They are “computer” case fans and draw very little.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
cjcoult

As I suspected. Sure wish I could figure out why batteries don't last when I dry camp. I think you responded to me last year when I wrote about batteries not lasting. At that time I only used 1 battery and didn't have 100W panel. Just hooked up 2 batteries and 100W panel today and just seems to have gone down in voltage faster than I think it should, but will check tomorrow and see where it is at. Thank you.
cjcoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

A single 100W panel isn’t really all that much. You might want to consider more panels or a higher wattage along with a pair of 6V GC batteries for more reserve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your fridge is on a slide, those fans are critical for air movement and proper operation of the cooling unit. Depending on fridge brand/model there may be up to 4 fans. They are “computer” case fans and draw very little.
So Chuck, is there a improvement hack in adding a separate fan to the back of a fridge in a slide out? Might have heard such a thing but haven’t searched it yet. Thought I would just come out and ask.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

My fridge isn’t on a slide so I added a fan at the bottom, and yes it seems to help keep the ice cream frozen and the milk cold in 100+ degree heat.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
NorskeBob

Per the manufacture - Power Ventilator Assembly must be used with certified upper and lower side vents and the refrigerator. They do drain the battery(s). I have 2 12V batteries installed. Our frig has a fan in the frig section, a fan in the freezer section, 2 fans in the middle in back and 1 in the bottom - so it does not take long to drain the batteries if we use lights or the fantastic fans. When dry camping I bring either a 2000 watt honda generator or a 4000 watt yamaha generator.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post
Per the manufacture - Power Ventilator Assembly must be used with certified upper and lower side vents and the refrigerator. They do drain the battery(s). I have 2 12V batteries installed. Our frig has a fan in the frig section, a fan in the freezer section, 2 fans in the middle in back and 1 in the bottom - so it does not take long to drain the batteries if we use lights or the fantastic fans. When dry camping I bring either a 2000 watt honda generator or a 4000 watt yamaha generator.

You must have a Norcold 2118. We tested and it will kill a gp27 battery overnight.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You must have a Norcold 2118. We tested and it will kill a gp27 battery overnight.
Yes it is a power hog. If the battery drops to 10.5 volts the dc lo alarms on the digital display. If I run the two fan fantastic fans the alarm comes on at the end of the day. Turning one off helps for awhile. Run the generator for a couple of hours to re-charge the batteries.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
mstat

After hearing the fan running in our slide almost continuously, I did some looking at the upper vent opening. I found the baffle almost completely blocking the upper vent. I also noted that the condenser coils were higher slightly higher than the upper edge of the vent.
Basically the hot air appeared trapped.
My solution was to install a four inch computer fan (12V) with a snap action thermostatic switch powered from the 12V refrigerator circuit to pull the hot air out.
Now, I can hear the fan start & stop from the outside and can feel the hot air being pulled out.
Can't hear a thing inside. The refrigerator and freezer stay nice and cold.
mstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
concours

Last year we had some concerns about the fridge on very hot days and did some performance upgrades including adding a interior fan, a second exterior fan and adding a ambient temperature switch so that the exterior fans start to run sooner. The fridge performance is now very good. we suggest that anyone with concerns of poor cooling, excess condensation or noisy fans go to the "RV Cooling Unit Warehouse" website and check the items listed under Performance parts they give great service and sound advice
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
Nicculi

I too have the same problem as the OP. Although Dometic fridge. I'm running 4 group 24 batts, and a 100w panel. Only use the trailer on the weekends, was hoping it would last for the week while we are not there. But alas, every weekend, the fridge has shut off at some time during the week. Sometimes it seems like thurs, sometimes earlier. Looking for a solution...
Nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
SR71 Jet Mech

1 100w panel on the BEST day will only charge at a rate of 5.56 amps to the battery (ies) per hour. 1 32” flat screen TV uses 3-4 amps.
It will charge your batteries, but it will take a looooong time, especially if you have any load at all. Doesn’t take much to draw more than 5.56 amps.
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Nicculi

After doing some research, I think I'm going to add some solar powered fans to the fridge, and hopefully reduce the fridge draw, and add another 100w panel
Nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 AM   #15
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
So Chuck, is there a improvement hack in adding a separate fan to the back of a fridge in a slide out? Might have heard such a thing but haven’t searched it yet. Thought I would just come out and ask.
K

I just installed the outside fan kit on our Dometic 8cf, can't remember the model number. It has definitely helped keep the reefer colder on these 100* days here in Caldwell Idaho. It seems expensive when you only consider the parts involved. But getting it all as a kit sure made the install easier. Note: I could not use the round clamps because I have a steel chimney baffle on my GD. Instead I zip tied the 2 fans inside the lower portion, blowing upward.

https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-or-Norcold-2-Fan-kit-added-air-flow-Clamp-style-with-thermostat-P4030133.aspx

I also ordered the inside 3 fan device but haven't had time to install it yet. Moving the inside air will also help.

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, slide, slideout