Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
KeyCougar

Cougar 338RLK

We are close to purchasing this model...it has pretty much everything we want. However I do have some questions. We are upgrading from our 29 foot travel trailer.

1. Any issues other than the grill that we need to be made aware of.
2. If you own one are you happy?
3. We will initially be using a 30 amp adapter until we can find a new site....will this be an issue?
4. I know in comparison this model has not been around a long time....how old are some of the Cougars out there and still in use?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The model we are looking at is a 2019...they are asking 47k. Is it unrealistic to get them to drop 9k off that price?
KeyCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
GHen

Shop the internet for the same unit. We found ours for something like 25% off list and the local dealer matched it.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Joe Dymond

338RLK Experience

We purchased a preowned 338RLK in January of 2019. It looked brand new and had some adders like slideout awnings, 2nd AC unit in master, king bed, washer/dryer combo installed. The grill was updated per the recall as well. We found a few issues which I will address below. The price we paid was right at 40K and was fair with all the upgrades. To address your concerns:

1. There is a recall on the grill that was for the 2018. I would assume they upgraded it for the 2019
2. Our satisfaction is beyond great. We love the layout with plenty of room and all the features we need for a couples coach. Also, we have had guests with the fold out couch. It is OK, but is a bit uncomfortable as a bed.
3. With 30 Amps, if you have two ACs, you won't be able to run both. When you run the microwave and AC you may also have a problem. Worst case, you will just have to reset the external breaker where you plug into.
4. Cougars have been out and around for years. I think they have a very good reputation. Just walk through the unit and test everything prior to accepting to make sure everything works as it should.

Some of the items that I had to deal with on our unit are as follows:

1. Two small water leaks in plumbing - easy fixes
2. Electric element on hot water heater burnt out. Easy fix.
3. Slight smell in propane tank 2. Still have not fixed, but also easy to fix.
4. Hard pulls on holding tanks.... still an issue but not a problem.
5. Mattress not as nice as we would have liked. Topped it with 3 inch foam topper and now great.

Last thought. Pricing is always interesting. Search the internet and find who will give what kind of pricing. Go in with that price point to start your negotiation. Don't be afraid to walk away and come back the next day to see if they changed their mind. End of month or end of quarter purchases are best since they need to increase sales numbers at the end of the month.
Joe Dymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
KeyCougar

Well we have officially moved up from the travel trailers to fifth wheel. They finally accepted our offer... We pick it up Saturday morning!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
GHen

Congratulations! Hopefully you got a good discount !
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
KeyCougar

We did... it turned out to be a 28 percent discount... 2020 models arriving soon... they were willing to deal!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

The normal "discount" from MSRP is around a third. I believe you got a good deal as most seem to be going from $40-60K (a huge spread). You asked if anyone had an older Cougar? We have a 2002 Cougar 278. It is the rear kitchen model. Our trailer is super solid and doing very very well. Only issues are PLASTIC stuff... faucet died trip before last (plastic gave up the ghost) and on the last trip (week end before 4th), one of the cargo door spring loaded keepers died and the shower hose died where it screws into the shower head. Old plastic is prone to dying I guess. I suppose it would be easier to just replace all this stuff while in home port rather than find a Walmart from a campground. Otherwise, trailer is great!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
gregm2k

KeyCougar - we bought the 2017 327RLK in Nov17 and love it! Perfect floor plan for us. Good luck and enjoy yours!

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Jimbkjk5

We bought a new 338RLK this past May at camping world in Monticello Minnesota. I worked the purchase over the phone. Exact same options as the local dealer here in the southwest. Big difference was, I saved 20k by purchasing in Minnesota. 39,500 was the price I paid. I paid the tax and title in NM, 3%. We are full timing in this rig and the only change we made was to order a good Queen mattress. The king mattress was not comfortable and there was very little space between bed and closet. I just cut 12 inches off the closet side of the plywood.
Jimbkjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar