Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 AM   #1
goldtr8

PDW wheels on on 2450RL

I am changing tires on my 2016 2450RL and I want to get a matching spare wheel so that I can do 5 tire rotations to help equalize tire wear over time plus i want a load range D tire.

Long story short on the backside of the rim its marked PDW for the brand name not Sendel or HiSpec as I suspected would be the case. The wheel looks from pictures to the the same as a S5 HiSpec or the T03 Sendel and the specs as cast on the back of the wheel is also the same for loading and so on.

My thoughts are to just purchase a wheel from Recstuff.com and ask them the difference between the wheels but I am betting they are the exact same from China.

Also the reason I am replacing the tires is that the trailer was purchased in May 2015 and the tires are only 2 1/2 is years old but they have 8k miles and the inside edges have worn on a couple of them and they are the cheap stuff. So I am tightening up the bearings as the locations of the wear have the bearings set looser than the ones that were wearing good and there is easily one flat on the castle nuts available and still some looseness.

Also tires will be 205 75R14 Carlisle HD load D tires. Yes the new tires will have a higher load rating by 140 lbs compared to the wheel ratings, but that is not an issue as the weight of the trailer on the axle and tires is less than the 1900 lb wheel rating. Also the pressure rating for the wheels is limited by the fill valve. Standard rubber is rated to 65 and the high pressure brass is rated to 100 and the wheel rating is called out to be limited by the valve pressure rating so 65 psi should not be an issue.

Cheers
Don
goldtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer is equipped with 14" wheels which limit the availability of upgrading tire capacity. A couple of owners in your situation resolved the problem by upgrading wheels to 15". That opened tire size/load range to significantly improved capacities.

While you're buying new tires, this would be the time to consider buying new wheels and taking advantage of the opportunity to improve your tire capacity. Remember that many tire manufacturers state that ST tires lose about 10% capacity annually, so having a 20% "safety range" on your current tires would put you 10% under at the end of the third year.

Something to think about since you're already looking at one wheel and 5 new tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote