Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2023, 04:08 PM   #41
Old_Stevenick

Man, just watched 3-4 more videos on this. I still don't see why it doesn't smell all the time, even parked in our driveway a week or two after coming back from a trip. If waste had built up in the inner cavity of the toilet why does the smell go away until we go camping again?

As to when the stuff gets back up there I guess it would be driving from the campsite to the dump station? We certainly don't drive around with a tank that is full or partially full.
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:33 PM   #42
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
I understand and yes think that may be the case. The only data points that counter that is that most people say that is a urine smell, not a feces smell, and this is definitely poop. Also it doesn't start until about 2-3 days in to a camping trip.

I did watch a video of someone taking out a 300 and separating it and don't really see how poop would get in there. How does it come up and into the toilet?

I'm not trying to argue with you at all, I'm seriously interested and confused about how poop would get in there and not smell except after a couple of days.

Ideas?
Only thing stranger than fiction is sometimes reality.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #43
Alibaddy

Possible causes and solutions

We had a similar problem with a fifth wheel. The bathroom and bedroom always had an unpleasant aroma. We discovered a vent under the bathroom sink that has a check valve using a rubber gasket, which was not seating. I just cleaned it. That helped. Then, we added a "whale tail" vent on the vent at the roof. That totally resolved the issue. Hope this helps.
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:41 PM   #44
Alibaddy

I just noted that what I called a whale tail is what Camco calls a cyclone. Name doesn't matter - it worked.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:14 AM   #45
Old_Stevenick

Thanks, I'm still planning on installing the Cylcone. Under the sink to me shouldn't effect the black tank smell as the sink goes to the grey tank. Keystone confirmed that to me a while ago in email.
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:35 AM   #46
Alibaddy

We had both a black tank odour and a odour that was like laundry water. We had a washing machine on the RV. The valve under the sink fixed the latter, and the whale tail fixed the black tank aroma.

Tags
roof, vent