Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
Ranchhand

AC intake vents

My rear AC unit would not work on really hot days. It would work fine on 75-80 degree days but if it was much warmer than that it would not blow any air at all. I did my own inspection which didn’t consist of much once I saw the lines were all frosted up. I had a repair company come out and look at it and they said freeze switch was not in correct place and air intake vents were closed off. As far as I know there is nothing that I can close off inside the camper. Is there something I’m missing as far as air intake vents.

It’s a 2021 avalanche by the way. Can’t remember the model number off the top of my head. It’s a bunkhouse
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
My rear AC unit would not work on really hot days. It would work fine on 75-80 degree days but if it was much warmer than that it would not blow any air at all. I did my own inspection which didn’t consist of much once I saw the lines were all frosted up. I had a repair company come out and look at it and they said freeze switch was not in correct place and air intake vents were closed off. As far as I know there is nothing that I can close off inside the camper. Is there something I’m missing as far as air intake vents.

It’s a 2021 avalanche by the way. Can’t remember the model number off the top of my head. It’s a bunkhouse
The make/model of the A/C would help someone answer your question. If your A/C is freezing up, normal cause is temp set high and fan speed low or refrigerant may have leaked out OR dirty filter (below) or coils up top.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #3
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The make/model of the A/C would help someone answer your question. If your A/C is freezing up, normal cause is temp set high and fan speed low or refrigerant may have leaked out OR dirty filter (below) or coils up top.
Yeah I’m not at the camper at this particular moment. I don’t know for sure what model it is. I believe it’s a 15000 btu and it’s a whisper quite one.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:45 AM   #4
ChuckS

Most likely the air return vents are collapsed. This can be fixed by using pvc pipe and wedging up inside to open up the ducting. You can use your cell phone camera to get a good look yourself and avoid mobile rv repair costs

The pvc pipe method is a common, low cost and effective fix for collapsed ductwork.

Also the two plenum ducts under the AC itself may surprise you with what they look like if you removed the AC and took a look see

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent