Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I was getting ready to suggest what John stated. If it's not going to move again I would set the batteries in a decent "tote" or similar plastic container on a wood pallet under the trailer. It would make using anmd maintaining standard golf cart batteries much easier as well as free up some storage space.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #22
Raven

The suggestions from John @ JRTJH & Marshall @ flybouy are brilliant, imo! This idea is definitely doable & I can go back to planning for 2 6 volt flooded batteries. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #23
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was going to suggest much the same thing. I screwed a pulley into the steel framework over my battery box, use a hook on a HD nylon 1/4" rope and lift the battery clear of the box, then pull it forward to clear the box where I lower it onto a 2x6 that I lay at an angle from the ground to the box, resting on the lower lip of the compartment hatch. Then I just slide it down to the ground, take the rope and hook off the battery carrier and then I can "wrestle it most anywhere"... For me, it's almost impossible to life the battery out of the battery box, over the lip and then clear the compartment lip... My "body mechanics" just don't bend that way after all these years.
Great idea. I have a large table with casters to use for project and cookouts. With the fifth wheel on the concrete pad in front of the garage, it was just a little higher than the front compartment. I could put the batteries on the table then roll it underneath the overhang next to the opening. Slid them off the table and strong arm them into the box. Then I could slide them in the box to arrange them. Of course the last one I didn’t pay attention and had the terminals in the wrong configuration and the OCD kicked in.

I tried using a rope over the rod between the landing gear but it was bowing too much. Finally just did it with brute force and a lot of words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5B3DF8F-1658-4D62-8CAB-52C56A84EAE6.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	32272  
Old 03-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #24
Raven

That is a good idea also. I think that because our rig will not be moved in our “lifetime”, we will probably go with the suggestions from JRTJH & flybouy. Will put 2 6 volt batteries in some sort of plastic tub on a pallet just outside the front hatch. I can create lots of vents on a heavy duty tub. Home Depot carry an exclusive lidded container that would easily fit the batteries.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #25
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Well, there is an old saying about working smarter, not harder....and then there's the one about "A man's got to know his limitations"....so rather than risk going through a triple hernia surgery again.....or maybe screwing up my back, I choose to lessen the chances of either one.

No hernia for me. But I do have a bad back. That said, I use work smarter not hard constantly at work. Well I will for another 24 days. I retire 31 Mar. As far as knowing my limitations, trust me I do. Taking everything into consideration, if I need any heavy lifting done, such as last weekend when I replaced twin group 24 batteries with twin GC2 6 volt batteries, I called on my 19 year old grandson who stands 6'6", weighs in at about 260, and played defensive tackle on the high school football team. He's my crane! All I gotta do is feed him once in a while, which can be an expensive proposition!
Old 03-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
No hernia for me. But I do have a bad back. That said, I use work smarter not hard constantly at work. Well I will for another 24 days. I retire 31 Mar. As far as knowing my limitations, trust me I do. Taking everything into consideration, if I need any heavy lifting done, such as last weekend when I replaced twin group 24 batteries with twin GC2 6 volt batteries, I called on my 19 year old grandson who stands 6'6", weighs in at about 260, and played defensive tackle on the high school football team. He's my crane! All I gotta do is feed him once in a while, which can be an expensive proposition!

That is part of the "smarter not harder" <<<highlighted in RED>>> mantra...
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 03-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #27
bbells

If you want to save money you can do what I did with my ice house. I bought a cooler large enough for my batteries and attached a vent hose to the top of it. If it was on the tongue I would simply drill a hole on the back near the top.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #28
WJQ

Flooded lead acid batters have more amp-hour capacity than AGM batteries. I have used Trojan T105's in my RV's for many years. On the last purchase, I bought US Battery 2000. Both are good 6 volt batteries. If you take John's suggestion and mount the batteries externally, then I suggest you go to an even larger pair of 6 volt. You need to store as many amp-hours as you can when the sun shines!

Now, if you really want to spend money and are deep cycling the batteries often, you should do the economics for using lithium ion storage batteries. You can use the full rating in amp-hours (not just 50% of the amp-hours). When I have to replace my flooded batteries, I will look at this option again as it will cut the tongue weight and lifting is much easier.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
Closed Thread

Tags
vent