Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2024, 09:00 AM   #1
MbFlash

water heater drain

Dometic WH-6GA water heater. It has a plastic female thread cap on the tank drain.
The tank is aluminum, any suggestions on a type of drain valve to use so I don't have to unscrew the cap to drain the tank?
I saw a brass drain but I don't think brass and aluminum play well together.

What does the collective think?

I don't really fail, I just continually find out what doesn't work.
MbFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 11:57 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I always just unscrewed mine. Not many metals play well with aluminum in that situation. Below is a link with a bit of an explanation. Notice that aluminum is one of the more anodic materials in the chart.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...0Corrosion.pdf

You might make something with a cpvc connector going into the tank. I would think that trying to put very much together is going to run out of space because the door has to close. Also you said it was a female plug? In the pics I looked at of the wh-6ga it appeared they had the same male plug that went into the Atwood heaters (Dometic bought Atwood)?? I think some folks may have added a drain to their Atwood so they might have some thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:42 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Regardless if you have the anode rode or the plastic plug, you really should remove the plug (or anode rod) completely and let the tank drain.

Why?

The force of the water draining will pick up small particles of lime build up and flush it out. If you use a small plug with a drain valve, those small particles cannot be flushed out of the bottom of the tank.

Actually, every time you drain you tank, it's good to use a tank wand on the end of garden hose and flush out the particles of lime and cruck that forms and falls to the bottom of the tank. Forceful flushing is about the only way to get it out, unless you have a very, very small diameter vacuum hose that will fit inside that hole.

Like this one. Click here.
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:35 PM   #4
Paparon798

Hi my tank had a brass radiator(automotive type) drain peacock in it
Paparon798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:50 PM   #5
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbFlash View Post
Dometic WH-6GA water heater. It has a plastic female thread cap on the tank drain.
The tank is aluminum, any suggestions on a type of drain valve to use so I don't have to unscrew the cap to drain the tank?
I saw a brass drain but I don't think brass and aluminum play well together.

What does the collective think?

On my last trailer that had a Dometic water heater I added a toilet supply line with a valve to make draining the tank easy. I used a brass hex nipple to connect the line. The manufacturer also used brass hex nipples to connect the lines to the back of the tank.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waer heater drain 0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	47266   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater drain 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	47267   Click image for larger version

Name:	back of tank.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	960.2 KB
ID:	47268  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:16 PM   #6
Don77

My last TT had a brass valve and brass fittings, that tank lasted for 20+years before I had to replace it, it still did not leak only the controls quit working, and we lived in it for three years while clearing our land and building our house!
That TT was still going from 1994 to 2018.

Don
Old 06-17-2024, 07:34 AM   #7
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparon798 View Post
Hi my tank had a brass radiator(automotive type) drain peacock in it
I tried it on my Jayco. Drain rate is VERY slow. Just try to find tools that fit in there.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:30 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I always used plastic ones and kept spares handy. The plastic does degrade over time so I liked tp replace once per year during dewinterizing
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:28 AM   #9
PolarisCobra

Someone cross threaded my plastic one before I got the camper. I got a brass one with a petcock, put teflon tape on it. No more leak, easy to put a pair of pliers on it in the fall to drain it for the winter. Worked fine last winter.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 12:49 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a gas/electric water heater with a plastic drain plug, you either have the wrong plug or you have a water heater with NO ANODE ROD... If you have the "correct plug" then your water heater tank serves as its own anode. Those (typically Atwood) water heaters need to be flushed annually, or more often under some situations to remove the "droppings that accumulate on the tank floor."

If you install a pet cock and use that as the only means to drain the tank annually when winterizing, you're skipping an important step in maintenance. The tank should be flushed annually. To properly flush, the water heater tank plastic cap needs to be removed so you can get the flush wand into the tank and to get enough water flow to wash out any foreign material....

As usual, YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 09:33 AM   #11
Arnold

Brass drain plug with petcock

Is replaced my plastic drain plug with a brass plug and peacock. It worked great for about a month but then I opened it to drain the tank and it wouldn’t stop leaking. Also read the previous response about dissimilar metals reacting. The best that you can do is keep using the plastic plug but keep a spare handy.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #12
ken56

Like others have pointed out, draining will go very slow with the smaller diameter drain and you won't be able to use a wand to flush it out thoroughly. The plug is nylon to hold up to the heat. Get a couple spares and just keep using them.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 10:40 AM   #13
MbFlash

Thanks to all, i purchased a wand and was surprised at how much crap came out of the tank considering how old the trailer is. Also i changed over to a threaded pvc 1/2" coupling and plug. i will keep the original cap on hand incase the pvc doesn't like the heat and either leaks or blows off.
Thanks again.
2 weeks till my next trip :-)

I don't really fail, I just continually find out what doesn't work.
MbFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 04:10 PM   #14
bobbecky

You may want to reconsider the use of PVC at the water heater. I did some checking and it looks like PVC is only rated to a max 140 degrees which is pretty close to what some of these RV water heaters get. I also see that CPVC pipe and fittings are rated to 200 degrees, which might be a better option.
https://www.home-how.com/what-temper...20industrially.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 04:59 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Yes, pvc would be questionable on a water heater. CPVC is made for the typical heat of a water heater unless it is in proximity to a flame.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 05:01 AM   #16
skids

I avoided PVC and use nylon plugs. They are cheap, and you don't have to worry about dissimilar metal corrosion. I have no issues getting a socket onto the plug with short (1.5 inch?) wobble extension and a stubby ratchet. You don't want to get gorilla torque on the plug because you can deform it. It will accept sealing tape.

Tags
drain, heat, heater, water, water heater