Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2024, 10:37 AM   #41
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
What size 6V batteries do I need to make one pot of coffee? Those coffee makers are rated at 900 amps.
I really don't grasp this. The 900 amps for the coffee maker is for ? minutes, ? hours of use?
2 X amp hour 6V battteries. Solve for X please. LOL.
I will attempt to answer your original question. Using our electric coffee pot when boon docking is our guilty pleasure. It is a small effort to minimize raising the interior temp of our camper on a hot day. (We could always put shorts on and use the outdoor grill and the Coleman coffee maker.)

I have a 170 Watt roof panel and a 100 Watt portable I use if we are not parked in the best location for the sun. My inverter is 1200 Watt unit that came with the factory solar option and I added a remote so I can turn it on from inside the camper. I have a single 100AHr 12V LiFePo battery. The coffee pot is 800 Watt 12 cup that takes about 9 minutes to make 10 cups. The pot/inverter draw less than 85 amps when running.

The math: 10 min = 1/6 Hr; 85A X 1/6hr = 14Ahr allowing for a bit of margin I lose approximately 15% of my battery capacity when making a pot.

A basic lead acid battery setup will drop more voltage than a LiFePo due to the high amperage draw and battery chemistry. An additional consideration is a LiFePo battery will recharge much faster than FLA without concern of sulfation. That's why I upgraded my FLA batteries. My limited solar has no problems getting the LiFePo battery back to 100% on a partly cloudy day.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:13 AM   #42
JBM3M

@Folkie,
Thank you for the factual information and the calculation formula. That is what I have been trying to figure out. I know it didn't use a whole 900 watts in one pot of coffee.

2024 Brinkley Z 2900,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck,
5th (B&W Companion), Class V bumper hitch, rear and Class IV front hitch.
6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 11:52 AM   #43
Steve d

Quote:
What size 6V batteries do I need to make one pot of coffee? Those coffee makers are rated at 900 amps.
I really don't grasp this. The 900 amps for the coffee maker is for ? minutes, ? hours of use?
2 X amp hour 6V battteries. Solve for X please. LOL.
900 AMPS will run the whole dang campground !!
I think your amps and watts are confused.
Steve d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:35 PM   #44
JBM3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve d View Post
900 AMPS will run the whole dang campground !!
I think your amps and watts are confused.
Right you are

2024 Brinkley Z 2900,
6.7 PowerStroke.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:10 AM   #45
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
I will attempt to answer your original question. Using our electric coffee pot when boon docking is our guilty pleasure.

I have a 170 Watt roof panel and a 100 Watt portable I use if we are not parked in the best location for the sun. My inverter is 1200 Watt unit that came with the factory solar option and I added a remote so I can turn it on from inside the camper. I have a single 100AHr 12V LiFePo battery. The coffee pot is 800 Watt 12 cup that takes about 9 minutes to make 10 cups. The pot/inverter draw less than 85 amps when running.

The math: 10 min = 1/6 Hr; 85A X 1/6hr = 14Ahr allowing for a bit of margin I lose approximately 15% of my battery capacity when making a pot.
Quote:
Thank you for the factual information and the calculation formula. That is what I have been trying to figure out. I know it didn't use a whole 900 watts in one pot of coffee.
What I have never heard mentioned about a coffee maker or seen in any specs is if there is a difference in the brewing vs heating requirements. In Phil's calculations he uses 10 minutes of brewing time to arrive at battery usage (14Ah). All well and good. That is about how long my Mr Coffee takes, too. But what is the effect of having the heating plate on for 30-40-50 minutes keeping the coffee hot? The heating element needs a lot of power to heat that water. How much power does the heating plate use?

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:34 AM   #46
JBM3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
But what is the effect of having the heating plate on for 30-40-50 minutes keeping the coffee hot?
This is a point, but now is the time to use the gas range to reheat or keep hot. Frankly in a off the grid situation, I would turn it off right after brewing eliminating that part of the equation. Also, it is an intermittent draw.

2024 Brinkley Z 2900,
6.7 PowerStroke.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:10 AM   #47
arlo

900 amps sounds way too high for a coffee maker
arlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar