Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2024, 05:26 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

To Battery box or not to box. That is the question

So, my experience with having my batteries in a box is that the box will leak and moisture becomes trapped inside the plastic, non-breathable container. This seems to lead to more corrosion on the terminals, at least it has for me. It is now time to replace my current batteries and there was quite the mess inside the boxes. I was thinking of getting one box large enough to hold both batteries. But then I thought why box? What would be the disadvantages of not putting the batteries in a box?
Any thoughts out there? Pros cons?

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:29 AM   #2
TXiceman

A battery box should be vented, and moisture should not be an issue.

Ken
Old 06-13-2024, 05:43 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with Ken. Every camper, boat, etc. I've ever had the batteries were in a battery box unless they were in a vented compartment with hold down AND the hold down had a tray in the bottom. Look at old cars in junk yards and most will have rusted out hold down trays and often the corrosion extends below. I don't want that on any finish in/on my RV.

If I was using Lithium batteries and they were in a compartment then I'd just use a hold down. I've had battery boxes on the trailer toung collect rain water before. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box, installed a marine scupper (flush fitting drain ) and ran plastic tubing down below the frame. Water in the battery box won't hurt the battery but I don't like standing water anywhere. I guess it's part of being raised and living in mosquito country.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:44 AM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

They are but water leaks in anyway and I live in the comparably dry southwest and even though it has not moisturized here in over a month still found moisture/water/slime in the bottoms of the boxes.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 06-13-2024, 06:08 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Drill a hole in the bottom of the box.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:10 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I would use a box Oak. The batteries on the tongue are subject to a LOT of stuff - debris, rocks, road grime etc. that batteries (and battery maintenance) just don't like. On top of that, I had a battery go resulting in the battery bulging and leaking putting about an inch of the electrolyte in the bottom of the box - that stuff will eat those metal brackets right up.

A vented box should prevent most of what you are experiencing unless they are catching blowback when riding on wet roads and the moisture is somehow coming in under the battery box top. Like you said, that's pretty hard to do in dry climates. I've also had black enclosures cause condensation if they were totally enclosed so that's possibly what's going on. Here's a link to a box like I had on my last trailer which worked well (the ones I bought after the battery leaked) -

https://www.go2marine.com/Sea-Dog-Ve...SABEgIrNfD_BwE

As far as using one box vs 2; if you can find a dual box that's vented and fits in that bracket that's what I would do. One less top to pull off and reattach every time you need to check the batteries, cables don't have to run through 2 different battery boxes etc. Downside is that if one battery self destructs it might impact the second one.*
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:13 AM   #7
Don77

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Drill a hole in the bottom of the box.
That is what I do, and have one problems.

Don
Old 06-13-2024, 06:27 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

On my Passport, I drilled holes in the bottom of the battery boxes for any water that found it's way in there.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
Don77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would use a box Oak. The batteries on the tongue are subject to a LOT of stuff - debris, rocks, road grime etc. that batteries (and battery maintenance) just don't like. On top of that, I had a battery go resulting in the battery bulging and leaking putting about an inch of the electrolyte in the bottom of the box - that stuff will eat those metal brackets right up.

A vented box should prevent most of what you are experiencing unless they are catching blowback when riding on wet roads and the moisture is somehow coming in under the battery box top. Like you said, that's pretty hard to do in dry climates. I've also had black enclosures cause condensation if they were totally enclosed so that's possibly what's going on. Here's a link to a box like I had on my last trailer which worked well (the ones I bought after the battery leaked) -

https://www.go2marine.com/Sea-Dog-Ve...SABEgIrNfD_BwE

As far as using one box vs 2; if you can find a dual box that's vented and fits in that bracket that's what I would do. One less top to pull off and reattach every time you need to check the batteries, cables don't have to run through 2 different battery boxes etc. Downside is that if one battery self destructs it might impact the second one.*
That is what I use and used on all my trailers but any water or moisture that gets in stays in unless you put some kind of drain in the bottom.

Don
Old 06-13-2024, 06:43 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
That is what I use and used on all my trailers but any water or moisture that gets in stays in unless you put some kind of drain in the bottom.

Don
The drain, 1/4" hole in mine, was placed but after the cracked battery case I let it ride. It think placing the hole in a manner and where it could never get to the battery box bracing would work fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:07 AM   #11
German Shepherd Guy

So, when these batteries are done, a pair of group 27s I am going to replace with two 6 volt batteries. True deep cell batteries. Have found a case that would hold them. Looked and looked but could never find a side by side case that would hold two group 27s. 24s yes but not 27s. I found that interesting. Was already laying out how to build the box when I found this one that would hold two Deep Cycle golf cart batteries end to end.
Thanks gentlemen for the advice.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 06-20-2024, 02:30 PM   #12
Happy Camper Bobby

I have two 6 volt cart batteries. I found a box with a cover that they would fit in. I cut the top a bottom vent tube off of the old single box and riveted them to the new box. I’ve had no issues with connection issues. They vent properly.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:20 PM   #13
PaulinSac

Multi-battery box

First timer posting anything but been reading (and learning from) this forum for years. Hopefully photo will show the double battery box I installed on the tongue of my Cougar. The two plugs on the end are for my portable solar panels (controller in basement, junction box under the frame). As others have said, drilled holes in bottom, vents on back side, powder coated inside and out. A couple golf cart batteries fit and I could add two more if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	47327  
PaulinSac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 08:45 AM   #14
gearhead

On our previous Montana I told the selling Keystone Texas mega dealer to add another battery in parallel. Sure. On delivery I looked, yeah they added a battery but were out of boxes. Right. We will mail you one. Right. Never did even with many phone calls.
So off to WalMart to buy a Tupperware box. Got one to hold both batteries. Notched the top edge for the wires. Drilled a hole in the top for the existing vent hose. Used stainless hose clamps to hold the hose. I may have drilled a couple holes for stainless bolts and nuts to hold it all down.
Worked well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #15
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
So, my experience with having my batteries in a box is that the box will leak and moisture becomes trapped inside the plastic, non-breathable container. This seems to lead to more corrosion on the terminals, at least it has for me. It is now time to replace my current batteries and there was quite the mess inside the boxes. I was thinking of getting one box large enough to hold both batteries. But then I thought why box? What would be the disadvantages of not putting the batteries in a box?
Any thoughts out there? Pros cons?
I have found that the standard plastic battery boxes with the vents on top always leak rain water. Since there is ample vent space where the top widens to allow for cables, I just use silicone caulk to plug the top vents. I have not had any water issues since caulking my boxes.

Tags
battery, battery box