Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2024, 05:26 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Norwood, CO
Posts: 725
To Battery box or not to box. That is the question

So, my experience with having my batteries in a box is that the box will leak and moisture becomes trapped inside the plastic, non-breathable container. This seems to lead to more corrosion on the terminals, at least it has for me. It is now time to replace my current batteries and there was quite the mess inside the boxes. I was thinking of getting one box large enough to hold both batteries. But then I thought why box? What would be the disadvantages of not putting the batteries in a box?
Any thoughts out there? Pros cons?
__________________

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:29 AM   #2
TXiceman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Bryan
Posts: 253
A battery box should be vented, and moisture should not be an issue.

Ken
__________________
2023 Cougar, 2022 F150 EcoBoost tow max Lariat 4x4 Off Road. Former full-time RVer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:43 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 11,974
Agree with Ken. Every camper, boat, etc. I've ever had the batteries were in a battery box unless they were in a vented compartment with hold down AND the hold down had a tray in the bottom. Look at old cars in junk yards and most will have rusted out hold down trays and often the corrosion extends below. I don't want that on any finish in/on my RV.

If I was using Lithium batteries and they were in a compartment then I'd just use a hold down. I've had battery boxes on the trailer toung collect rain water before. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box, installed a marine scupper (flush fitting drain ) and ran plastic tubing down below the frame. Water in the battery box won't hurt the battery but I don't like standing water anywhere. I guess it's part of being raised and living in mosquito country.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:44 AM   #4
German Shepherd Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Norwood, CO
Posts: 725
They are but water leaks in anyway and I live in the comparably dry southwest and even though it has not moisturized here in over a month still found moisture/water/slime in the bottoms of the boxes.
__________________

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:08 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 20,753
Drill a hole in the bottom of the box.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:10 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 18,151
I would use a box Oak. The batteries on the tongue are subject to a LOT of stuff - debris, rocks, road grime etc. that batteries (and battery maintenance) just don't like. On top of that, I had a battery go resulting in the battery bulging and leaking putting about an inch of the electrolyte in the bottom of the box - that stuff will eat those metal brackets right up.

A vented box should prevent most of what you are experiencing unless they are catching blowback when riding on wet roads and the moisture is somehow coming in under the battery box top. Like you said, that's pretty hard to do in dry climates. I've also had black enclosures cause condensation if they were totally enclosed so that's possibly what's going on. Here's a link to a box like I had on my last trailer which worked well (the ones I bought after the battery leaked) -

https://www.go2marine.com/Sea-Dog-Ve...SABEgIrNfD_BwE

As far as using one box vs 2; if you can find a dual box that's vented and fits in that bracket that's what I would do. One less top to pull off and reattach every time you need to check the batteries, cables don't have to run through 2 different battery boxes etc. Downside is that if one battery self destructs it might impact the second one.*
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:13 AM   #7
Don77
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Duluth
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Drill a hole in the bottom of the box.
That is what I do, and have one problems.

Don
__________________
2018 Keystone Springdale SS 202QB
2016 Chevy 2500 HD CC LTZ 6.6 Duramax
Don77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:27 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog
Senior Member
 
NH_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Henniker
Posts: 2,660
On my Passport, I drilled holes in the bottom of the battery boxes for any water that found it's way in there.
__________________
Rob & Amy
2024 Cougar 29BHL
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
Don77
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Duluth
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would use a box Oak. The batteries on the tongue are subject to a LOT of stuff - debris, rocks, road grime etc. that batteries (and battery maintenance) just don't like. On top of that, I had a battery go resulting in the battery bulging and leaking putting about an inch of the electrolyte in the bottom of the box - that stuff will eat those metal brackets right up.

A vented box should prevent most of what you are experiencing unless they are catching blowback when riding on wet roads and the moisture is somehow coming in under the battery box top. Like you said, that's pretty hard to do in dry climates. I've also had black enclosures cause condensation if they were totally enclosed so that's possibly what's going on. Here's a link to a box like I had on my last trailer which worked well (the ones I bought after the battery leaked) -

https://www.go2marine.com/Sea-Dog-Ve...SABEgIrNfD_BwE

As far as using one box vs 2; if you can find a dual box that's vented and fits in that bracket that's what I would do. One less top to pull off and reattach every time you need to check the batteries, cables don't have to run through 2 different battery boxes etc. Downside is that if one battery self destructs it might impact the second one.*
That is what I use and used on all my trailers but any water or moisture that gets in stays in unless you put some kind of drain in the bottom.

Don
__________________
2018 Keystone Springdale SS 202QB
2016 Chevy 2500 HD CC LTZ 6.6 Duramax
Don77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:43 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 18,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
That is what I use and used on all my trailers but any water or moisture that gets in stays in unless you put some kind of drain in the bottom.

Don
The drain, 1/4" hole in mine, was placed but after the cracked battery case I let it ride. It think placing the hole in a manner and where it could never get to the battery box bracing would work fine.
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:07 AM   #11
German Shepherd Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Norwood, CO
Posts: 725
So, when these batteries are done, a pair of group 27s I am going to replace with two 6 volt batteries. True deep cell batteries. Have found a case that would hold them. Looked and looked but could never find a side by side case that would hold two group 27s. 24s yes but not 27s. I found that interesting. Was already laying out how to build the box when I found this one that would hold two Deep Cycle golf cart batteries end to end.
Thanks gentlemen for the advice.
__________________

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:30 PM   #12
Happy Camper Bobby
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Bend
Posts: 12
I have two 6 volt cart batteries. I found a box with a cover that they would fit in. I cut the top a bottom vent tube off of the old single box and riveted them to the new box. I’ve had no issues with connection issues. They vent properly.
__________________
Bob, Gina & Bella traveling in a 2014 Cougar 277RLSWE 5th wheel towed by a 2016 Ford F350 dually 6.7 L turbo diesel long bed/crew cab pickup. The road awaits!
Happy Camper Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:20 PM   #13
PaulinSac
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Multi-battery box

First timer posting anything but been reading (and learning from) this forum for years. Hopefully photo will show the double battery box I installed on the tongue of my Cougar. The two plugs on the end are for my portable solar panels (controller in basement, junction box under the frame). As others have said, drilled holes in bottom, vents on back side, powder coated inside and out. A couple golf cart batteries fit and I could add two more if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	47327  
PaulinSac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 08:45 AM   #14
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 5,067
On our previous Montana I told the selling Keystone Texas mega dealer to add another battery in parallel. Sure. On delivery I looked, yeah they added a battery but were out of boxes. Right. We will mail you one. Right. Never did even with many phone calls.
So off to WalMart to buy a Tupperware box. Got one to hold both batteries. Notched the top edge for the wires. Drilled a hole in the top for the existing vent hose. Used stainless hose clamps to hold the hose. I may have drilled a couple holes for stainless bolts and nuts to hold it all down.
Worked well.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Reese Goosebox 20K
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #15
Folkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Cherry Hill
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
So, my experience with having my batteries in a box is that the box will leak and moisture becomes trapped inside the plastic, non-breathable container. This seems to lead to more corrosion on the terminals, at least it has for me. It is now time to replace my current batteries and there was quite the mess inside the boxes. I was thinking of getting one box large enough to hold both batteries. But then I thought why box? What would be the disadvantages of not putting the batteries in a box?
Any thoughts out there? Pros cons?
I have found that the standard plastic battery boxes with the vents on top always leak rain water. Since there is ample vent space where the top widens to allow for cables, I just use silicone caulk to plug the top vents. I have not had any water issues since caulking my boxes.
__________________
2020 Cougar 22RBS
Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, battery box

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.