Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2024, 02:35 PM   #1
GBR!

Battery not working

Hello, have a 2023 Springdale Mini. Installed a backup camera and now the internal power will not work unless plugged into external power. Backup camera works, taillights, etc work...just cannot turn anything on inside nor does slide out, awning work..without external power. Help/ideas appreciated.
GBR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 03:16 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR! View Post
Hello, have a 2023 Springdale Mini. Installed a backup camera and now the internal power will not work unless plugged into external power. Backup camera works, taillights, etc work...just cannot turn anything on inside nor does slide out, awning work..without external power. Help/ideas appreciated.
Does your camper have a battery dis-connect switch? If you are talking about no power inside, are you connected to shore power? If so, do the 117V outlets have power, the microwave, etc? The slide out is 12V and requires the battery to be fully charged so if this is a 12VDC issue, that is where diagnosis will begin. Just need more info on how the trailer is connected to power.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:11 PM   #3
GBR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Does your camper have a battery dis-connect switch? If you are talking about no power inside, are you connected to shore power? If so, do the 117V outlets have power, the microwave, etc? The slide out is 12V and requires the battery to be fully charged so if this is a 12VDC issue, that is where diagnosis will begin. Just need more info on how the trailer is connected to power.
Appreciate the help!! Novice here so I will respond to the best I can.

Today git a backup camera. My trailer comes with a "pre-wired" hookup in the back. I opened that up and it was a loop wire (no end to it)...the wire was latched to the cap I had to take off to access the "pre wired" so I am assuming it was the right one.

I cut the wire and took the two positives and two negatives and connected it to the pos and neg wire of the camera. Hooked it up and it works great, along with all taillights and marker lights.

However, now the inside lights, awning, slider, water pump, etc will not work unless it is plugged into my garage outlet.

Previously I could extend awning/slider, use pump, water heater, etc without needing to be plugged in...the outlets would not work (need inverter) but I could dry camp with some power from the lithium batteries...now nothing unless I am plugged in.i flipped breakers, checked fuses...all looks fine

When plugged in the battery charge light shows full power

Hope that helps and again appreciate your help.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:07 AM   #4
Lee

Hi,

Do you have a Multi-meter and know how to use it?

I would start at the battery and measure the voltage. Then, follow the positive battery leed and it should go to two auto-reset circuit breakers either mounted to the frame or in a Giddy box. Make sure the 12V is getting thru them.

Is the battery cut-off switch in the correct position? This is the big red on/off switch.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2018 Ram 3500 Cummins, LWB, SRW, 4dr, 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:43 PM   #5
GBR!

Got it fixed!!! Found the cut off switch just under the front of trailer and turned it to "battery on"...lol.

Appreciate the help!!!
Old 06-17-2024, 02:41 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR! View Post
Got it fixed!!! Found the cut off switch just under the front of trailer and turned it to "battery on"...lol.

Appreciate the help!!!
Keep in mind that all the power draws you mentioned are 12VDC and indeed the battery needs to be connected but the battery is charged via the converter which takes your 120VAC shore power and powers 120V draws (microwave, television, outlets, etc.) and also has a line going to the converter which turns the alternating current into DC current and keeps the battery charged. You need to be plugged into shore power and have that converter making DC power for the slide(s) to operate and such as they draw too much for the battery alone to make them function.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:55 PM   #7
GBR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Keep in mind that all the power draws you mentioned are 12VDC and indeed the battery needs to be connected but the battery is charged via the converter which takes your 120VAC shore power and powers 120V draws (microwave, television, outlets, etc.) and also has a line going to the converter which turns the alternating current into DC current and keeps the battery charged. You need to be plugged into shore power and have that converter making DC power for the slide(s) to operate and such as they draw too much for the battery alone to make them function.
Thanks WG! Got a generator for when we go places without shore power. We also got solar to feed the battery.If I am not plugged into shore or generator than outlets do not work..they said I need to get an inverter? installed.

Great forum, learned more in the past 2 days on reading through this than anyplace I have been

Tags
battery