Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
Isabel

Smile New member check in

Hi! New member here! Getting ready to go on a trip that will require several back in sites with our 34 ft fifth wheel and long bed Ram 2500 truck. So far we have not been able to master this and are looking for suggestions for videos or instructions...so far, this has been an awful experience. Open to practice but would need some instruction to go by. TIA.
Isabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:59 AM   #2
Oilfan97

Welcome aboard.

Practice, practice, practice.

In my experience, it completely depends on the specifics of the site you are trying to back into. Like, how sharp are the corners of the site entrance, how much room is there across from the site etc.

So it's not so much about 'how to' get into your site....it's more about reading the situation and being careful.

My only tip is to have at least one person standing/walking around the situation so that they can have eyes on places you can't see from the truck. Having them on cell phone or radio is nice, so you don't have to shout.

Remember, Slow is Pro.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:56 AM   #3
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan97 View Post
Welcome aboard.

Practice, practice, practice.

In my experience, it completely depends on the specifics of the site you are trying to back into. Like, how sharp are the corners of the site entrance, how much room is there across from the site etc.

So it's not so much about 'how to' get into your site....it's more about reading the situation and being careful.

My only tip is to have at least one person standing/walking around the situation so that they can have eyes on places you can't see from the truck. Having them on cell phone or radio is nice, so you don't have to shout.

Remember, Slow is Pro.
All of that ^^^

I'd also discuss with the "watching person" what they are going to say to you to get you to change directions, etc. I like "driver side" or "passenger side" rather than right or left. Also discuss that they need to be where you can see them with your mirrors. Are they going to use hand signals or just talking, etc.

I always remember, bottom of steering wheel = back of trailer. Whichever direction the bottom of your steering wheel is going is the direction the back of your trailer will go. If you do these and go really slowly it may be frustrating and take a while but you'll likely not damage anything.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 CC XLT 7.3 Godzilla w/4.30
WDH: Eaz-Lift Recurve R3 1,200
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:14 AM   #4
Canonman

!! From another backing challenged camper.
Take a look at this video, it may help.
Also, get a pair of cheap walkie talkies or use your cell phone so you and your parking helper can easily communicate what's goin on in real time without any hollering or miscommunication. This is a real stress saver.
You will get more comfortable with time and practice.
Remember just take your time. Be patient with yourself. And, don't pay any attention to the "gawkers" watching from the sidelines. They've all had their moments with their RVs as too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6263.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	47156  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:25 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Practice, practice, practice. That's the first thing. If you can find a parking lot take some cones (or something else) and lay out a hypothetical RV space and try to hit it. Do it repeatedly. Realize that many places have narrow roads and narrow spaces so you need to get familiar with how and when the trailer begins to turn. In some situations you have to sort of "see saw" back and forth to get in if the road or obstacles make it too tight.

Patience. When learning be patient. Mastery of backing the trailer doesn't come with the first shot. And, that experience will continue to grow as you encounter new locations with new problems. Build on the basics and get familiar with how the rig reacts to your inputs from the steering wheel.

Never feel in a rush or embarrassed. Take the time required to do it right. Get out of the vehicle and assess the situation. I do that before I go into the spot and usually once or twice during the positioning because I want the slides in a certain spot, the utilities, the door etc.

We use our cell phones to communicate. We use the terms "driver" and "passenger" to describe the sides she is talking about. She knows I'm very picky about positioning so she will tell me about posts, telephone poles, peds, rocks, concrete edges etc. so I can come see where I want to go. I leave the back windows and rear sliding window of the truck open so I can hear her if she wants to "express" herself.

The biggest thing is the practice and getting a feel of what component is going to go what direction when you start turning. Always remember that it takes a bit for the trailer to start responding - you'll get that with practice. The nose of your truck needs room when you start kicking the trailer in by turning the truck wheels. Pulling in right next to a parked vehicle, pole etc. won't leave the truck room to maneuver. Just go find that church parking lot and in a day or two you'll have it down.

There are MANY videos on backing a 5th wheel. I've seen one that was exceptionally good but that was a few years back and I could not find it in a quick search. If I can find it I will link it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #6
Peto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
: don't pay any attention to the "gawkers" watching from the sidelines. They've all had their moments with their RVs as too.
Gawd I hate the gawkers that insist on helping and telling you everything you are doing wrong..
Old 06-17-2024, 03:14 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:04 AM   #8
Camping family

Practice like others have said. I went to an empty church parking lot set out some cones the with of most sites and practice. Took some time but I got it. Best advice I can give is take your time. What worked best for me I backing a 5th wheel which is different then a pull behind. I pull up getting the drivers side close to the edge of the road and back up till my camper wheels get the edge of the pull in. Then I start slowing turning and continue slowly. Once I’m part way in I pull up and straighten out and then start backing in again slowly. Pull up if needed to straighten back out and then back in more. Remember slowly and always before you start backing in get out and check the area. Looking for low branches stuff on the ground pot holes cement slabs tables trash cans and most important where the hook up is water, dump tank and electrical
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags