Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Sooner

I'm sad

I was so excited to find this site, thinking that I would have a good time "talking" with other Keystone and Cougar owners.

But reading through the threads I am finding discouraging comments on how bad the company is, how horribly their RVs were built, awful this and awful that, etc.

We have a brand new Cougar that we are so excited to have and can't wait to use....then we read all these disparaging threads and it unnerves us.

Is no one happy with their Keystone?

Sooner
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Jim W

I am a member of several diesel sites and RVNet.com, on most of these sites you will find that most of the users have will have issue with their campers or trucks. I have found if someone has an issue they will post this problem. Very few will praise their camper or truck. It is easier to complain then praise, go back to your school days if I need to say more.
With that being said enjoy your new Cougar and just learn from the users on this and other sites. I also believe that if you know of a problem then you will know were to look at to prevent further issues with your camper.
My DW and I just purchased a new 2010, 318SAB Cougar 5er after camping in a 2006, 270FRKS Summit Ridge Ameri-Camp 5er for three years. With very minimal issues with it. just maintain the unit and as I said earlier enjoy.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Sooner
We have discussed your concern about negative comments about Keystone and Keystone products that appear on this forum from time to time. As has been pointed out by the previous post and by many other contributors before, there are many happy and satisfied Keystone owners. These people dont often come out and say that whereas those who have run into some issues are quick to voice their concerns and complaints. Forums like this offer an audience or "forum" for people who have had a bad experience with their Keystone RV. There are many members on this site who are satisfied and I am one of them. I would not be put off or become disheartened by the negative comments you find on this site and others.
I think if you went back into previous postings, you will find members who are satisfied with their Keystone RV.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Sooner, Just remember that Cougar is the best selling trailer in it's class for several years now and I believe that Montana is tops in it's class also. There are many of them out there and many problems too. But as a whole they are good trailers and offer very good "Bang for the buck". Look for the members who are on their second or third Keystone product. I for one would not hesitate to buy another if need be. (The DW doesn't want to hear about more payments.) If you maintain your Cougar and inspect it regularly, I think the odds are it will give you many years of "Happy Camping". Relax, enjoy your new Cougar and go camping, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
campboy

So sad

Negative energy flows easier than positave does. We have a brand new 27RK and it's the best RV we have ever owned. Took it in after the shakedown trip and had one outlet not working and one tiny leak. Rig was returned in three days repaired. Most trouble originates with the selling dealer and not so much the factory. We bought for the dealers rep as much as the rig its self.
campboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
BCRVer

Thumbs up

We have a 29 foot Challenger 5th wheel. Love it... some problems, all fixed by Keystone warranty. Would buy this brand again in a minute... Unfortunately we tend to vent more than praise in forums but I definitely think Keystone deserves credit for their product. Our experience with service has been fantastic, they have never questioned covering any repair. We're out of warranty now but aren't worried. Couldn't ask for a better rig.

BCRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Bigk

We're happy with ours. Welcome to the site.
2016 F350 XLT 4x4 SRW CC LB 6.7L
2007 3500 Dodge DRW CC CTD, 6.7L (SOLD)
16K Husky EZ-Roller Hitch
Bigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRVer View Post
We have a 29 foot Challenger 5th wheel. Love it... some problems, all fixed by Keystone warranty. Would buy this brand again in a minute... Unfortunately we tend to vent more than praise in forums but I definitely think Keystone deserves credit for their product. Our experience with service has been fantastic, they have never questioned covering any repair. We're out of warranty now but aren't worried. Couldn't ask for a better rig.
So why is it on this site if you post any bad experience about Keystone you are labeled as "Bashing"? These are issues that HAVE happened to people who are letting other consumers know what happened. They don't come back and complain about people deriding them for things that have happened to them. So you had warranty issues, well what were they. I'll bet they weren't slide outs not functioning or leaking. Or mold in your unit,or frame damage from the axles ripping out. Try to understand what the people are saying without reading into it your opinion.When I first posted on this site there was a link from Courtland as to why this site was started. Can't find it anymore. I think that should be required reading for anyone who posts.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Sooner

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do appreciate you taking time to rest my mind on this issue.
You are all correct in what you said. I do understand that this forum is to help and inform. And it does that well.
I guess when someone switches manufacturers as we have done, there is always that whisper in the back of your mind as "did we do the right thing by buying this brand?"
Your answers here help me alot and I thank you for them.

We are excited to take our maiden voyage in our Cougar and look for many happy memory making years.
Thank you again. Sooner
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
cpaulsen

We are also very happy with our Cougar! Would buy another in the future!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
K&Gs3400RL

Welcome We have had three Cougars and were happy with all three, And now have a Montana. Keystone has all ways treated us right and have no complaints. And would buy again from Keystone. Enjoy your Cougar and Happy Camping.

George

Our New 3400RL 9/17/11

K and G's 3400 RL
2004 Ram 3500
And 5 dogs, Dusty, Sassy, Jasmine, MoJo and Scooter
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
dd45529

Posted this in another thread,

We really like our 07 Keystone Challenger. Had some problems that were totally owner caused and the local dealers helped us out. Can't wait for warmer temps and drier roads so we can get on the road again. kkd
dd45529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
TimSal

Sooner,
We just purchased a Cougar too! We traded in our Jayco TT. I researched 5th wheels until I can't see straight and for it's class it always came back the Keystone Cougar. They are a great RV! Enjoy.
TimSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
Bowline

Thumbs up No Complaints Here!

We have had our Keystone Cougar 27RLS trailer for about 5 months now, towed it about 1,800 miles and have camped 19 nights. Sure, it had a few small defects just as a new house or car would, but these have been well repaired under warranty by our dealer, no questions asked. These included gaps in the sealant inside the refrigerator and outdoor cook station compartments, an electric outlet that wouldn't work, a missing window screen, etc. Overall, I am very happy with the quality of the unit - workmanship is good and fit and finish is fine. Everything works beautifully, and we are really comfortable. At this point, we would not hesitate to buy another Cougar.

I have to say the dealer has been great - even found problems that I didn't detect and fixed them. This is a real contrast to what some others have been saying about the service they have received.

Just be sure to follow all maintenance instructions, especially torquing the lug bolts and maintaining proper tire pressure. I was amazed at how loose those bolts got on the first trip, after I torqued them at home.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
Sooner

Thank you everyone for you reassuring posts. Y'all have helped more than you know.
My DH says I am worrying before there is anything to worry about, but I guess that is my job.
We have yet to be able to take her out for her Maiden Voyage - hoping for late next month. Looking for blue skies and warm sunshine!

Thank you, again, very much.
Sooner
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #16
Icehutman

My wife and I bought a used 2005 Cougar 290RK three years ago and have loved it since the day we picked it up. Last summer we spent four months in it as well as the year before. This summer we will be in a trailer for at least seven months due to work and that is why we are going bigger. We have had NO problems with it and are now negotiating a deal on a new Mountaineer. I think a lot of issues people have are brought on by themselves, but thats my opinion. Enjoy your new unit.
Icehutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #17
dd45529

You're Sad?

We have a 2007 Keystone Challenger...absolutely love it. Now we find that this one is discontinued. We have no immediate plans to replace it, but will move to the Montana line (if it stays). The only problems we have had were owner instigated (mistakes, big time) and one recall from Dometic (refrigerator trouble). I agree with the majority, people post problems, gripes, and 'sour grapes' but seldom say what they like about the product. kkd
dd45529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
GBHRPS

My bride has been largely responsible for where she and I find ourselves today. I will never be able to give her enough credit and thank her for how she has steered "our ship" over the years.

We have a very comfortable life, and are fortunate enough to be able to have our Cougar, the TV, 2 daily drivers, 3 antique automobiles, and a large garden tractor. To be able to keep all of these machines in good working order and safe to drive, I'm the backyard mechanic who subscribes to 9 different online forums almost every day.

Without exception 99% of the posts on any of these forums is NEGATIVE in nature. People log on and complain about their latest problem they want solved. Almost no one starts a post to sing the praises of their vehicle. They just never take the time. But they do take the time to vent .... and then some.

It goes without saying that we are a very negative culture for the most part. Very few of us stand back, smell the roses, and then ensure that we share the positive vibes with others.

That said ...... my wife and I can't wait for the last weekend this month of April, when we embark on our first 2010 camping weekend with our 2004 Keystone Cougar 285, ...... one fine 5th wheel trailer!

Did I forget to tell you how much we love our Keystone Cougar?

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
CougarInRear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I was so excited to find this site, thinking that I would have a good time "talking" with other Keystone and Cougar owners.

But reading through the threads I am finding discouraging comments on how bad the company is, how horribly their RVs were built, awful this and awful that, etc.

We have a brand new Cougar that we are so excited to have and can't wait to use....then we read all these disparaging threads and it unnerves us.

Is no one happy with their Keystone?

Sooner
Sooner,,,,I joined the forum yesterday,4-12-10,,,as I was browsing through it I saw all negative comments that you are talking about !! I took them with a grain of salt,,,I owned several different makes of TT's over the years.This is my first 5th wheel.,,,,,I've also been on a lot of different forums and like others on here have pointed out,,,,most of the time only the bad things surface and a lot of times some people aren't happy no matter what or how good something they have is.,,,,,,you can find the same negative views on any make,price range on different forums.,,,,,,,,,,,,,So take it with a grain of salt and let the positive results that people post on here after a problem is fixed and how and what they did to do it help you out instead of bringing you down.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
antiqfreq

Fulltiming in my Cougar fiver - no problems

We have had our Cougar fiver for over 2 years - minor issues we took care of ourselves over that time.

We have been living in our camper now six months and full timing in it traveling across country for 2 months now. Still NO problems.

We left Ft Lauderdale 2/16 and now we are in southern Utah. We plan to keep on going for about another year before settling down.

Hopefully it all holds together - we expect it will.

I have no plans to get rid of it any time soon....Loving our camping,
loving our camper and loving our life!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote