Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
Chris In Colorado

Question Propane issue

Hi all!

I am having an issue with my propane. I have a 2007 289BHS Cougar 5th wheel and it has two 30lb bottles. The bottle on the passenger side with the auto switch regulator works fine. The bottle on the driver's side won't work. The pigtail on that bottle goes straight into the connecting black pipe and has a female connector on it. I disconnected the hoses on both sides of the black pipe and can see daylight thru it.

The hose on the passenger side has the same female connector going from the black pipe and then into the regulator with a male 1/4 connector. I can easily blow thru this. I have verified that the auto switch regulator works on both sides. I suspect this pigtail on the driver's side is the culprit. However, when I connect it just to a bottle a little gas does come out. I cannot find anywhere online where I can get a replacement pigtail with this female connector. I do not know the size of the female connector, but measuring it, it is .562" (or 9/16) ID with an 18 thread pitch. Also, I cannot find a bushing that looks to work. So frustrating...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Chris
Chris In Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
Essvar

In an open air environment with no flames.... did you try attaching the pigtail and opening the bottle to verify flow?

If no flow then its the connection at the bottle, If it does flow it might be the quick connect fitting not opening all the way.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Chris In Colorado

I did test that. When connected to a bottle, I can hear a little gas coming out. I cannot connect it to the regulator though to test if it is enough for the regulator though due to the female connection...
Old 10-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris In Colorado View Post
I did test that. When connected to a bottle, I can hear a little gas coming out. I cannot connect it to the regulator though to test if it is enough for the regulator though due to the female connection...

"A little gas" probably isn't what you should be hearing when opening a unregulated high pressure tank of propane.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
Chris In Colorado

Well, I didn't think so, but I checked the other side which I know works...and the volume of gas sounds the same. Additionally, I checked the NEW pigtail I bought and it is WAY more. Looking closely, I see why: the old pigtails have only a pinhole opening, whereas the new pigtail is much larger. I'll try and post a pic of the differences. Perhaps the newer pigtail is a higher flow rate...all are the green acme nut, which I thought meant the same flow rate.

New question: Will the higher flowrate pigtail cause problems in my camper? Since both of the old pigtails have smaller flowrates, I am worried that a higher flow will put too much gas into the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pigtails (2).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	36571  
Old 10-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris In Colorado View Post
Well, I didn't think so, but I checked the other side which I know works...and the volume of gas sounds the same. Additionally, I checked the NEW pigtail I bought and it is WAY more. Looking closely, I see why: the old pigtails have only a pinhole opening, whereas the new pigtail is much larger. I'll try and post a pic of the differences. Perhaps the newer pigtail is a higher flow rate...all are the green acme nut, which I thought meant the same flow rate.

New question: Will the higher flowrate pigtail cause problems in my camper? Since both of the old pigtails have smaller flowrates, I am worried that a higher flow will put too much gas into the system.

Someone smarter than me will probably give you a tech answer, but your pigtails are going strait to a regulator. The regulator will limit pressure and flow the the unit.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
Chris In Colorado

In doing more research, the old pigtails seem to have built-in excess flow and thermal protection...which seems to explain the size difference in the openings.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer "off regulator side" propane tank should not flow "straight to the black iron crossover pipe that you can see through:... There should be a "red interim regulator" on the road side that drops the propane tank pressure to 30 PSI before it enters the crossover pipe. The reason for that interim regulator is to eliminate the potential for liquid propane to enter the regulator on the curb side of the trailer... Should that happen, the regulator would fail and propane flow to the trailer systems would cease.

This is the way it's explained in one "understanding LPG systems for RV's"

"Fifth-wheels typically split the pair of cylinders in two compartments on either side of the trailer. The two-stage regulator is installed in one of the compartments, requiring a flexible high-pressure hose to supply propane from the remote cylinder. If the hose is 60 inches or longer, a step-down single-stage regulator is required with a pressure rating of no more than 30 psi. With a long hose under full pressure, it is possible for the vapor to condense into liquid. This liquid could accumulate in the lowest point of the hose and cause a drop in pressure. Lower pressure from the step-down regulator prevents condensation from occurring."

You can read the entire article here: https://www.rv.com/archive/the-abcs-...ystems-in-rvs/

I'd suspect you are not the original owner ?? Chances are that a previous owner probably "rebuilt his propane system and didn't understand the purpose of parts that "seemed extra and not needed"... That interim regulator is needed, not only for system reliability but for system safety.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
bobbecky

This is a cutaway of the excess flow valve, and it does sound like the valve is stuck. If you connect the nut to a cylinder with no restrictions, you will lock up the valve. You may be able to bang the nut assembly against something hard to break it free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp-type-i-excess-flow-cutaway-ball.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	36574  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
0rion

Maybe I missed it but have you tried switching bottles side to side? It may be the bottle valve. I've ran into that several times.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #11
Chris In Colorado

Found the fix!!

I wanted to circle back around and post a quick update. After testing it several ways, I determined that the main culprit was the pigtail on the far side. Once I got a new pigtail hooked up, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks all for their help!!!

Tags
propane