Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
Opa 1

Fifth wheel choice

For all those that have gave sound advice in the past many thanks. Y’all, it is getting close, the keystone Sprinter 30RL is sitting in the yard and this is the build week for my F350 so delivery should be next month.

My question is choice of the fifth wheel between standard vs slider? My friend came by the house last week we put the camper on his 2019 F250 and to see how close to 90 degrees we could get before the camper and truck touched. We got at least 75 degree before we stopped and had an 1-1/2 inch gap between the truck window and the front of the camper. My friend thought it would be close but he could make 90 degrees. I though for the sake of his rear window and the front of my camper it was a good place to stop.

So I ask if I can get 75 degrees in a turn is buying a slider fifth wheel needed? How many times would I get to or need to get at a 75 degree turn or more.

We look forward to hearing y’all’s thoughts on this topic
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
JDDilly

When I had a short box, I used a slider. Didn't use it often, but when I did need it, it was well worth it.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I've never used a slider hitch as I've always had 8 foot 1 inch truck beds. But if you have a long bed, you won't need a slider. If you have a short bed, you'll never regret having a slider hitch. You may have regrets if you don't get a slider hitch. (I'll put it that way).

If you travel, and I mean .... IF YOU TRAVEL from location to location, you will never know for sure what kind of situation you will find yourself in, on the road and at the campsite. It only take that 1 time to establish contact between truck and trailer and you'll be kicking yourself for a long-long time!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
Opa 1

Smile

Thank you, to clarify it is a 6.5 foot bed. Sounds to me like the old adage an ounce of prevention….

Wise move is to buy the slider. I appreciate the input
Old 10-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
jasin1

I’d get the slider..I had one for my shortbed and removed it for my new truck 8’ bed.. when I had it I didn’t need to use it much but god forbid you turn down the wrong road one day and it’s a dead end…might need it to get out of that situation..mine was a Reese slider…I took the slider base off and purchased a fixed base for new truck…kept all the rest of it…slider is in the garage now
Old 10-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at it from a comparative perspective, Travel trailers can get about a 45 degree angle, current "sculpted fifth wheel caps can get about 75 degrees and possibly more. So, from a "gotta have or else".... Is it mandatory, nice to have, wasted money or ?????

I'm not one to "rodeo" my fifth wheel. I prefer to save the suspension by not "backing at 90 degrees in any situation. I've never had a sliding hitch, never needed one and have had to make a 180 maneuver on a dead end road with a washed out bridge. Even then, on a road with soft 6' gravel shoulders and blacktop 12' lanes, (36' of turn space) I didn't need a sliding hitch and didn't damage the truck or trailer.....

Starting out with a new fifth wheel, lots of "short bed truck owners" feel the need to have the security option of a sliding hitch. After towing for a couple of months and learning their rig's capabilities, I'd guess maybe 1 in 10 will use the hitch on a regular basis and less than that will use it or feel the need for it, even in "tight situations"....

I can't begin to count the number of comments on this forum that say, "I bought a sliding hitch and I've never used it".....

This is not a recommendation that you don't even consider a sliding hitch, rather a suggestion that you consider all the options because chances are, even if you buy one, you won't use it like your current thinking would suggest.

In your post you said that your buddy got your trailer to about 75 degrees and felt he could get an additional 15 degrees from the 1.5" remaining.... Now, consider that your "6.5' bed" is really 81.9" (6' 9.9") and there's an additional 3" from the front bed wall to the cab window. Take a look at the actual bed construction and you'll see what I mean.

So, if you can get 15 degrees from an inch and a half, you have almost 7" more than the "stated" 6.5 foot bed and you're already able to get 30+ more turn angle than anyone with a travel trailer, IMO, there's not the critical need for a slider that you might think. If you can afford it and feel you need it, then get one, but if you're unsure, the budget is tight, or you don't regularly try to make U-turns in residential areas, then consider whether you'll ever even use a sliding hitch after you're familiar with your trailer's capabilities when hitched to your truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #7
Javi

I would never own a 6.5 foot bed.... but if I did.... I'd never own a slider.... unless I was single ��
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
Opa 1

Thank you John that is exactly what I was wondering about I can see both thoughts but like you I am not sure I would ever use it
Old 10-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
notanlines

Same as 4 wheel drive. You don't need it until you need it. Is it going to crunch your budget so the kids suffer at Christmas? Then maybe pass. I can't recommend yes or no, just that it is cheap insurance.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
BigBobIa

I thought my 2500 short bed would work. Then backing into my own yard was close but had to put the front tire over the curb. (Divided street used to have a trolly down the middle). Between the doable sharp angle and then jumping the curb …

My camper is currently at the fiberglass shop. Took it there with my 3500 long bed.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

There are obviously 2 trains of thoughts on the ability to get to 90 degrees to turn a 5th wheel. Slider...no slider. Short bed....long bed. In the end TO ME it's irrelevant. If you watch what trying to push a 5th wheel at 60 degrees plus is doing to your tires and suspension I just find a way not to do it.

When I bought this trailer (first 5th wheel) I was determined to find what those "limits" are for a 5th wheel in a short bed with an Andersen hitch (no slider but adjusts). Took it to my dirt property next to the house and tested it. I did not get to 90 degrees (but close and might have but didn't like what was happening). Once that cut got sharp those trailer tires weren't rolling, as in forward backward, they were "rolling" like they want to come off the rim (LRG 110psi so bit of exaggeration). The tires were just going sideways and digging furrows in the ground, can't imagine what pavement would do. WHY would I ever do that or get myself in that kind of position?

I understand many folks like adventure and just doing things "on a whim" is fun but choosing things that would do that to your RV just doesn't make sense to me - you WILL damage something eventually...sooner rather than later. You CAN actually look ahead to where you are going with todays technology or call forward to ascertain what is available and what you are getting into after specifying your wishes. I do all the time and haven't been hit with a 90 degree (or 60 degree) requirement yet. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #12
MCBadgett

I'm one of those that bought the slider, and wish I hadn't. All sliders weigh more than non sliders. If you are going to be removing the slider, make sure you have a lift of some kind. I fortunately, do have a lift in my shop, that makes removing the hitch easy. I used the slider when I first got it, but it was just to try it out.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #13
Opa 1

Thank y’all, all good responses all the same things that been thinking. To me it’s not a money thing it’s more I am pretty conservative by nature with things like pulling an RV. With all my previous trailers boat, tractor, etc where you have about 45 degrees and never got in a position where I needed more than that. It is what got me thinking I told my friend I am not even sure I wouldn’t know what to do with a trailer at 90 degrees. I imagine on pavement your trailer tires would be skipping a bit. I have a couple more weeks to mull it around before I decide.

Again. Thank y’all I appreciate all views
Old 10-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
Thank y’all, all good responses all the same things that been thinking. To me it’s not a money thing it’s more I am pretty conservative by nature with things like pulling an RV. With all my previous trailers boat, tractor, etc where you have about 45 degrees and never got in a position where I needed more than that. It is what got me thinking I told my friend I am not even sure I wouldn’t know what to do with a trailer at 90 degrees. I imagine on pavement your trailer tires would be skipping a bit. I have a couple more weeks to mull it around before I decide.

Again. Thank y’all I appreciate all views

Opa at 90 degrees they won't be "skipping a bit", they will be sliding sideways, no rolling, trying to be pulled off the rims and literally ripping the tread sideways with the weight of the trailer helping peel that rubber off. And those suspension components meant for straight line travel being subjected to that.....nah.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #15
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Opa at 90 degrees they won't be "skipping a bit", they will be sliding sideways, no rolling, trying to be pulled off the rims and literally ripping the tread sideways with the weight of the trailer helping peel that rubber off. And those suspension components meant for straight line travel being subjected to that.....nah.
In my younger years I would back my triple axle Raptor into a spot that required a 70 is degree maneuver. I would do it once a week… at the time I just figured the axes creaking and popping and tires flexing was normal… they were meant to do that.

Older and wiser… this caused so many axle alignment and tire issues. To the point I would carry the spare in the garage as I was getting flats every 1k miles. Not fun!

As noted, google earth is your friend. At this point I never go somewhere with a 38’ trailer without lots of research or going there with just my pickup to investigate
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #16
roadglide

Opa1 you’re new Ford has standard bed 82 inches not a short bed . I have Anderson hitch with a 79 inch bed and have no trouble making 75 degree turn comfortable Something I have to make a U turn , my hitch only weighs 45 lbs . My last Duramax had a 5 foot 6 inch bed I pulled the same camper with out the Anderson . I really had to watch the cab .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:24 AM   #17
RickV

Until I got my first dually I had a F250 with the short bed. I never even thought about a putting in a slider. In around 4 years never even got close to the cab while backing.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #18
RVGator

If you are considering other options my 2021 GMC Sierra 3500hd standard bed is 6’9” and with a Reese Goosebox I get 90 degrees without touching. I would never want to be in a situation where I need to be @ 90 degrees but before I left the dealer the “hitch guy” put it at 90 to see if it would do it. He was impressed and so was I. Really happy with the Goosebox.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
If you are considering other options my 2021 GMC Sierra 3500hd standard bed is 6’9” and with a Reese Goosebox I get 90 degrees without touching. I would never want to be in a situation where I need to be @ 90 degrees but before I left the dealer the “hitch guy” put it at 90 to see if it would do it. He was impressed and so was I. Really happy with the Goosebox.
If I get another 5th wheel it will have the Goosebox hitch! Regardless if I chose a short or long bed truck.
It's the only non conventional 5th wheel hitch approved by Lippert (the frame builder) & once you unhitch there's nothing in the bed but the ball that can be turned over in about 5 seconds (it weighs much less than 35lbs) & stores in the same location.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #20
Opa 1

The gooseneck is interesting, but I already have trailer at the house and not sure it is changeable so probably will need to stick with the 5th wheel. Interesting thought though

Tags
fifth wheel