Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Gman86

Anyone towing a bullet 290bhs/Hensley/f150

Hey wondering if anyone out there is towing a bullet 290bhs or similar size trailer with or without a Hensley using the f150 (or similar half ton). Hoping to gather some real world experience so I know what to expect.

Supposed to pick up this trailer next week and bought a Hensley arrow to go along with it. My tow vehicle is an 18 f150 3.5 screwcab with tow rating of 10,700 with 1656 in payload.

There I gave you all some ammo and put my flak suit on so I’m ready.
Gman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman86 View Post
Hey wondering if anyone out there is towing a bullet 290bhs or similar size trailer with or without a Hensley using the f150 (or similar half ton). Hoping to gather some real world experience so I know what to expect.

Supposed to pick up this trailer next week and bought a Hensley arrow to go along with it. My tow vehicle is an 18 f150 3.5 screwcab with tow rating of 10,700 with 1656 in payload.

No real world experience with that hitch, but as I'm sure you know they are supposed to be top shelf with regard to sway prevention. It is about 100 lbs more than an Equal-i-zer or BlueOx etc, though, meaning 100 lbs extra of valuable 1/2 ton payload eaten away. I think your trailer will be right on the bubble of comfort with an F150 so would definitely pack judiciously.

Here's a guesstimate based on the Bullet's 7500 lb GVWR:

975 lbs tongue weight (13% of 7500)
400 lbs passengers
200 lbs Hensley
100 lbs misc. gear/tools etc.

The above is 1,675 lbs, putting you over your truck's sticker payload.

While I didn't/don't have a Hensley, I did try to tow the same length TT with an F150, also a 3.5EB, SCREW, max tow, shortbed. I was at 8,300 lbs with 1,873 pounds of payload. It was only the wife and I and we put basically nothing in the bed of the truck. Assuming with a bunkhouse you will be traveling with children as well? I was under my payload by about 200 lbs as I recall. Can't say I had any true white knuckle experiences, but did not feel totally in command of the rig at all times so upgraded trucks before hauling it cross country. I particularly didn't like all that weight behind me descending grades. That's when I got the feeling the trailer was sometimes the boss.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Gman86

Yea the payload is going to be close if not over. I do have 2 small children that will over time challenge those payload numbers even more. Glad to hear you didn’t have any white knuckling but still it’s not a vote of confidence. I’m hoping the Hensley will prove it’s worth as trailer sway is my biggest concern.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yea the payload is going to be close if not over. I do have 2 small children that will over time challenge those payload numbers even more. Glad to hear you didn’t have any white knuckling but still it’s not a vote of confidence. I’m hoping the Hensley will prove it’s worth as trailer sway is my biggest concern.

There are many more things to worry about other than just sway when you tow overloaded. Personally I would rather try to pull down a rig from 65mph when it started to sway vs trying to "gather the herd" as one, then the other tires on one side of the trailer blew out due to weight; or one of the truck tires blew out. A Hensley cannot fix anything other than sway.....and it exacerbates that simply by its weight.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
Gman86

Oh I have plenty I’m worrying about when it comes to hauling a house down the highway. I’m stating my top concern when it comes to towing. Payload would be number 2 and then the list continues on from there….
Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:

If you were to ever tow a RV at the tow rating of your truck that would a tongue weight of 1300+ lbs directly off that 1656lb payload.
Just so you know those tow ratings were arrived at by the manufacturer using utility type trailers where the load is directly over the axles therefore having minimal tongue weight on the truck, this is not the case towing RVs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:56 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Oh I have plenty I’m worrying about when it comes to hauling a house down the highway. I’m stating my top concern when it comes to towing. Payload would be number 2 and then the list continues on from there….
In my experiences, that includes towing current trailer with a F150, your priorities are reversed and should be preseeded by #1 Family safety. Towing a travel trailer that's too long and too heavy causes sway, period. It's commonly refered to as "the tail waging the dog". Until you treat the cause you cannot remove the symptoms.

I know it's upsetting, I know it's disheartening, but you need to recognize the core issue. The amount of money spent on a hitch that likely will only mask the issue may make up for the loss on your current truck or towards a down payment on more capable and appropriate truck. Many of us here have been thru the experience and have nothing to gain nor any motive other than yo try to inform you of the misteaks we have made in the past. Of course it's your family and your choice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #8
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

what is your NET tongue after the WD hitch? in this case, worry about GAWR which is listed on your door sticker.

its not convenient but get to a cat scale and get a split weight with the W/D disabled (if possible?) and then with.

I use an old skool eaz lift with either 550 or 750 bars and in the case of THIS will use my 750s at about 'drop 4' to negate about 500lbs.

I just bought a 290BHS yesterday and cast off after work maiden voyage. you CAN load the rv over the axles...all but the wrassle palace storage is closer to the axle - negating really the utility of the passthru. we are loading this weekend with a bathroom scale for each object to try and be t/w neutral...

ps: fords have ALWAYS loved contact overloads....had em on my 90's (old school again) but they were 7200 tow, 1800 payload (and overload it I did) checkout hellwig, as long as you dont go over GAWR, you wont break. LR-C tires and factory wheels will get you there.
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

ps gman - when you pick this up, unless they fill it with cash and prizes, its gonna be close to its empty weight with about 100lbs of propane and batteries over shipping weight. that trip will be no worries
Old 09-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
what is your NET tongue after the WD hitch? in this case, worry about GAWR which is listed on your door sticker.

its not convenient but get to a cat scale and get a split weight with the W/D disabled (if possible?) and then with.

I use an old skool eaz lift with either 550 or 750 bars and in the case of THIS will use my 750s at about 'drop 4' to negate about 500lbs.

I just bought a 290BHS yesterday and cast off after work maiden voyage. you CAN load the rv over the axles...all but the wrassle palace storage is closer to the axle - negating really the utility of the passthru. we are loading this weekend with a bathroom scale for each object to try and be t/w neutral...

ps: fords have ALWAYS loved contact overloads....had em on my 90's (old school again) but they were 7200 tow, 1800 payload (and overload it I did) checkout hellwig, as long as you dont go over GAWR, you wont break. LR-C tires and factory wheels will get you there.
Is a wrassle palace similar to a boxing ring? If so that's one helluva good size storage area!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #11
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

i have an RV dealer friend who refers to the 'master bedroom' in a coach as a 'wrassle palace'.

Even funnier....he is a preacher to boot....
Old 09-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
wegone

I just posted about bailing out a buddy who's Ram Cummins left him stranded along side the road as he was pulling his tandem dump trailer.
He got the truck up om a flatbed hauler, and then I hooked up his trailer to my F-250 Super Duty gasser, 2011 super cab short bed FX4.
I have only pulled my Bayliner 1952 Capri boat and a 26 foot Ultra light Bullet behind it....new felt threated or concerned, in fact its a joy, but again, I don't keep up with the herd, I set my own pace, and relax.
Anyway, I knew right away I had some weight behind me, my truck acted way different.
It felt like I had a anchor out, and I had to try and keep building up the momentum, not to mention you feel every little bump, tug, twist....
Going down hill I felt pushed, I normally set my gain at 5.5 when pulling my 7600lbs trailer (loaded) I had to set it up past 8, and still I could feel its effect.
He had a 6000 lb trailer paylod, 9300 GVWR loaded with 4 yards of dirt, appox 2200 lbs per yard, but of course these buckets are generous and I bet you could easily add 500 more pounds to that total. My truck is rated for 10K and boy did it feel bullied...
I had no idea prior to what it felt like before, I believe I do now, you don't want to mess with pushing the limits....I read a lot prior to buying my set up, going with the 3/4 ton because of what folks shared....you never here of folks really trading down, only up, in size.
Good luck, be careful
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
I tow my current rig with a ProPride, which is "Hensley 2.0." Haven't felt a bit of sway in two years, including long cross-continent trips. Sway was a constant occurrence in my old rig when I was being passed by or passing semis, but haven't felt a wobble with this rig.

I did upgrade my F-150 to a 250, though -- same non-sway experience, but a lot nicer towing and I'm not underwater on the payload. I'm somewhat surprised if you're not immediately underwater, given that you're three feet longer.

Tags
bullet, f150, tow, towing