Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
Brantel

Dynamic Balancers, Thumbs Up!

I know they sound like snake oil or voodoo magic, but the dynamic balancer's really work. While I picked Centramatic brand dynamic balancers, I am sure the Balance Masters brand works just as well.

My 22 F-450 was delivered with a pretty good wheel balance but had some minor shakes at different speeds. That's the problem with using fixed weights to balance rotating assemblies that have a wide speed range.
That's where dynamic balancers really shine! After I removed all the fixed weights and installed the dynamic balancers, it is smooth as glass across the entire speed range.

One of the things I wish Ford would do is allow these as an option at the factory without using the fixed weights. 5 of my 6 wheels had some pretty good sized weights on each side of the wheels.
These fixed weights damage the clear coating on the rim when they are installed and when they are removed. There is no way around it.

The Centramatics do make a little bit of a swooshing sound at slow speed but with the windows up, I can't hear it.

On another note, these dang rear center caps are a pain in the rear to remove. I tried all the various tricks to getting them off. None of them worked without a huge potential of damaging the cap or the wheel with the exception of this one:

https://youtu.be/DtZfe4cDRSY

PS: That little tool that Ford provides in the spare tire changing kit to remove rear caps is worthless!
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I hadn't seen the "wood removal tool" before. Quite a novel approach.

I've used a "hubcap removal tool" for years. So long, in fact, that I've had to "dip the end in plasti-coat" several times to keep the end coated so it won't scratch the wheels.

Just slip the bent end in the slots and push the tool to the side. The hubcap will move out a bit, do it on a couple other slots and the cap is off.

Plus, it's much easier to store under the seat than that 2x2. The lip on it is built longer than on the Ford "sectional handle" and works a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hubcap removal tool.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	35605  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I hadn't seen the "wood removal tool" before. Quite a novel approach.

I've used a "hubcap removal tool" for years. So long, in fact, that I've had to "dip the end in plasti-coat" several times to keep the end coated so it won't scratch the wheels.

Just slip the bent end in the slots and push the tool to the side. The hubcap will move out a bit, do it on a couple other slots and the cap is off.

Plus, it's much easier to store under the seat than that 2x2. The lip on it is built longer than on the Ford "sectional handle" and works a lot better.
Something about these newer models and the 19.5” wheels that are different. I tried similar tools and it was a no go. The clips are super strong and wrap around the flange of the multi piece lugnuts.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

I use ceramic beads on my motor cycle and they work great. A lot less cost/weight than the centramatics. I haven't started using beads on any other vehicles yet, but just because I'm lazy
Old 09-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I use ceramic beads on my motor cycle and they work great. A lot less cost/weight than the centramatics. I haven't started using beads on any other vehicles yet, but just because I'm lazy

Be careful with the beads. I tried them on my trailer tires one time.....one time. Could never air up/down my tires without the valve stem sticking and would not seal. Fought those things for over 2 years and replaced valve stems multiple times. I thought the FL sand was getting into them, someway, through the stem cap TPMS and all. Pretty stupid on my part. Come to find out, over time those beads degrade and break down leaving "sand" granules all inside the tire. As the valve stem is operated those "grains" get stuck in the valve stem making it lead; sometimes a tiny bit and sometimes a lot. Pulled those tires and the stuff inside looked more like beach sand than "beads". Dumped all the sand, had the tires balanced normally and voila! no more air leaks or stuck valve stems. Just a heads up on what I experienced.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote