Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
skunked again

4wd or 2wd with locker ?

3/4 or one ton. Which and why?
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #2
Javi

All depends on where you live and travel, plus what you are going to carry.

I live and travel in Texas and carry a 15K 5th wheel with my non-4wd dually.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
travelin texans

If you ever plan to need/want a 5th wheel get the 1 ton, preferably diesel. As to the 4x4 or not it would depend on where you travel & the need for 4 wheel drive when not towing. It does however lower the payload & may affect a 3/4 ton to the point of not having much more payload than a 1/2 ton. The locking differential doesn't really come into play in the rv world unless you plan to take your rv rock climbing.
It all depends on where you plan to go towing or not, what you plan to haul & what you want, totally ALL your choice!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Like Javi pointed out, there are lots of considerations when choosing whether to get a 4x4 or not. I only buy 4x4s primarily because I have for the last 20 years. I don't drive off road like I used to but I do run into situations from time to time in inclement weather where I use, and love, my 4x4. 2 wheel drive with a locker? Do they even offer that as OE? Seems like all I've seen is more like limited slip etc.

3/4 vs 1 ton you might just do a search as there are many, many conversations about that. I will just say from my experience as a guy that never wanted an HD truck in the first place; get the 1 ton (as one who owned them both back to back). The benefits of the 1 ton outweigh any possible negatives IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
skunked again

Thanks all for the replies!
Just had a vehicle salesman tell us that a 3/4 or one ton, given how much they weigh, with a rear locker, will go almost anywhere a 4x4 will go.
I have limited experience with a 3/4 or one ton. Any truth to that?
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Just had a vehicle salesman tell us that a 3/4 or one ton, given how much they weigh, with a rear locker, will go almost anywhere a 4x4 will go.
Not really... was his lips moving?
Old 08-21-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Like Javi pointed out, there are lots of considerations when choosing whether to get a 4x4 or not. I only buy 4x4s primarily because I have for the last 20 years. I don't drive off road like I used to but I do run into situations from time to time in inclement weather where I use, and love, my 4x4. 2 wheel drive with a locker? Do they even offer that as OE? Seems like all I've seen is more like limited slip etc.

3/4 vs 1 ton you might just do a search as there are many, many conversations about that. I will just say from my experience as a guy that never wanted an HD truck in the first place; get the 1 ton (as one who owned them both back to back). The benefits of the 1 ton outweigh any possible negatives IMO.
Probably talking about the Electric locker thingy.. not what you are I think of when we say LOCKER 🤔
Old 08-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
jsb5717

4x4 always for me. We're not off-roaders and have used the 4 wheel drive rarely. But we have used it. You mostly don't need it until you do. Those few times I've needed it I've been very glad we had it. We have had those rare experiences where we would have been stuck without it.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
jasin1

I have two four wheel drive trucks and a four wheel drive jeep…I don’t ever really go off-road …but it’s nice if traveling when it snows…do you ever plan on driving in the snow at all?
I did almost buy a 2 wheel drive single cab pickup this morning .. a 94 lariat cream puff…$3000 …guy had someone at the house looking at it ..only on Craigslist for 12 hours..had two more people scheduled to look at it the next hour…I knew it would sell and it did …I would have bought it on the spot but I was too late…but that was just for putting around my neighborhood.

If it’s going to be your forever vehicle then get what you prefer…if you ever plan on selling it or trading it then I’d probably get the four wheel drive as that is what most people want nowadays…I think the hit on a trade in on 2 wheel drive would be more then the few thousand that the four wheel will cost up front..it’s not to disparage 2 wheel drive owners it’s just the reality of the marketplace…I remember when air conditioning in a truck was a option…now it’s standard …and if you get into a muddy campsite then a four wheel will definitely help…

And I realize
A 2 wheel drive dually driven by an experienced person can get around in areas where a knucklehead with a four wheel will get stuck
Old 08-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I LOVE IT! "vehicle salesman tell us"... He is trying to sell you what he has to sell you and he probably gets in a Prius for the drive home. Very likely knows less about trucks than you do. I am not sure what "locker" means but am guessing positraction or such. A 3/4 or 1 ton has limited rear traction be it on a single wheel or both rear wheels as there is relatively none of that porky heavy duty truck weight on the rear axle compared to the cab axle. If you live somewhere where traction is needed (read snow, mud, sand, off road conditions) two wheel drive ain't gonna get it done. If you live in South Texas (except during the four days of the BLIZZARD OF 21) you may never use 4wd. 4wd drive adds quite a bit of weight to the truck and decreases payload so if you get the 3/4 ton and 4wd, your payload will not be such that a medium-heavy camper will be comfortable towing.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
lunge motorsport

My take on 4wd vs 2wd, 1 ton or less

I have been in 3 non boondocking instances while towing where I was in a situation that a 4wd was required to make a u turn where there was only a steep gravel or dirt road or a non-paved loose fill area. I also have boondocked in many locations where I needed 4wd. I will not purchase a tow vehicle that doesn’t have some form of locking axle or limited slip.

When I was pulling a travel trailer my ľ ton gas 4wd was more than sufficient to handle most any situation. When I purchased a 5th wheel, that truck was still capable but at the limit of its 3k payload while well under its max pulling rating. Many modifications were performed to enhance its rated capability but I was under no misunderstanding that these mods would “increase” capability.

ľ ton diesel tow vehicles will typically only be sufficiently rated for a travel trailer as the payload is far too low for a 5th wheel. A 1 ton diesel SRW will probably rate closer to a ľ gas engine in payload. My fully loaded 1 ton diesel dually is rated far beyond anything I will load into or behind it so I have no worries about capability. It’s not comfortable empty…too soft in the front and extremely stiff in the back. It’s crying out for Bilstein shocks. Also, it requires more caution when navigating the everyday urban traffic/parking scenarios.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
3/4 or one ton. Which and why?
One ton 4x4 for your location. The big plus with 4x4 is all wheels drive while a locker will work while you are going straight or starting straight, the real difference comes when driving and turning far more control, you just drive at a speed consistent with conditions.
The big difference comes when starting while turning, the turned tires are driven and will the direction turned. With a 4x2 the turned will likely push in slippery conditions.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

The guy had no idea what he was talking about. His statement is false but as an example; I can drive my 1 ton 4x4 into a mud hole and never get out while I can take a Jeep CJ7 with 31x10.50s on it aired down and just walk right by it. Weight can be handy for some things, not so handy for others.

As far as "locker", he is again using the wrong term. They don't offer a true "locker" in OE vehicles to my knowledge and particularly not on a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I'm sure he is talking about the "limited slip" axle that is an option on many vehicles which certainly does not offer the same traction as a true locker and is nothing like a 4x4. I have seen a 2 wheel drive (SRW) truck with a trailer on the back get stuck in wet grass....
Old 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
The guy had no idea what he was talking about. His statement is false but as an example; I can drive my 1 ton 4x4 into a mud hole and never get out while I can take a Jeep CJ7 with 31x10.50s on it aired down and just walk right by it. Weight can be handy for some things, not so handy for others.

As far as "locker", he is again using the wrong term. They don't offer a true "locker" in OE vehicles to my knowledge and particularly not on a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I'm sure he is talking about the "limited slip" axle that is an option on many vehicles which certainly does not offer the same traction as a true locker and is nothing like a 4x4. I have seen a 2 wheel drive (SRW) truck with a trailer on the back get stuck in wet grass....
My Fil had a 1 ton two wheel drive crew cab 8 ft bed land yacht…stock tires…we would go to tractor shows and he’d get stuck in wet grass …think it was a 2000 model year…a family member has it now and it’s stil on the road but man that thing was not good with traction..and we didn’t have a trailer
Old 08-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
bcintx

Quote:

If it was a ford they offer several electronic locking axles depending on the engine choice. You pull "out" on the 4X4 shift knob and it locks the rear axle. It is also available on 2X4 trucks.

This is different from some of the other axles that are listed as limited slip and still others that are completely open.

As noted by some other posters: very helpful in wet grass.
2021 Cougar 316rls
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcintx View Post
If it was a ford they offer several electronic locking axles depending on the engine choice. You pull "out" on the 4X4 shift knob and it locks the rear axle. It is also available on 2X4 trucks.

This is different from some of the other axles that are listed as limited slip and still others that are completely open.

As noted by some other posters: very helpful in wet grass.
I don't follow Fords much but I did a quick look and it appears they offer an "e-locker" or electronic locking differential. Used to be Eaton offered those in some forms but don't recall if/when as OE on which trucks. Looks like they may be out there in some configurations.

I price/build different trucks all the time and when I see "locking differential" as an option I figure it's one of those "sales gimmicks" and don't look into it. If it truly is a full locker controlled electronically they do help a lot but would want to see a "factory" e locker work in real life to make sure it's not a limited shift with new "sales" badging. IMO if I thought I would be in situations where I would be forced to "lock" my rear differential I would be buying a 4x4 with same "locker(s) on it. A true locker will tear the snot out of a differential if you don't know what you're doing so figure OE has to have a lot of nanny stuff to keep you from doing that. I'll check that out though.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
As the owner of four 4x4 SuperDuty trucks and ONE (only ONE) 4x2 SuperDuty truck, I can guarantee you that with or without the rear locker, a 4x2 AIN'T (did I mention NEVER EVER) going to do where a 4x4 will go.......

I've been "stuck in 1/4" of red gumbo mud in a parking lot with a 4x2 SuperDuty and have had to get my tractor to pull the damn thing out of the wet grass in the back yard more than once.....

If you "feel the need for more traction, don't (DO NOT) rely on a rear locker to get the "super heavy stuck in the mud front tires under a diesel SuperDuty" moving.... Ain't happenin'

Now, if you never go off the concrete and have no intention of ever parking in an unimproved campsite just before it rains, get the 4x2... it's cheaper and has more payload.... Otherwise.... 4x4.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #18
Badbart56

Quote:
I don't follow Fords much but I did a quick look and it appears they offer an "e-locker" or electronic locking differential. Used to be Eaton offered those in some forms but don't recall if/when as OE on which trucks. Looks like they may be out there in some configurations.

I price/build different trucks all the time and when I see "locking differential" as an option I figure it's one of those "sales gimmicks" and don't look into it. If it truly is a full locker controlled electronically they do help a lot but would want to see a "factory" e locker work in real life to make sure it's not a limited shift with new "sales" badging. IMO if I thought I would be in situations where I would be forced to "lock" my rear differential I would be buying a 4x4 with same "locker(s) on it. A true locker will tear the snot out of a differential if you don't know what you're doing so figure OE has to have a lot of nanny stuff to keep you from doing that. I'll check that out though.
Yeah, Ford does offer an electronic locker. But, sadly, not on duallies.....like mine....but the limited slip does quite well. At least as well as expected. Not a locker but it gets the job done.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

This is mine and how the rear locker works. In 4x2 only 1 wheel has power. Pull out the 4x4 button and it locks the rear end as in both wheels have power, in 4x4 or 4x2.
I use it on boat ramps when pulling the boat out so the rear tire(S) will not spin without putting the truck into 4x4. Just putting most trucks into 4x4 on a wet ramp will also not spin tires unless your really stepping on the throttle.
Also when pulling the TT up steep dirt/gravel roads, 4x2 rear locked will stop the rear end hop. The 4x4 mode usually does stop the rear end hop also.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #20
Wohnmobil

A lot of talk here about how 3/4 tons have just a little more payload than a 1/2 ton. That may have been so many years ago, but isn’t necessarily true today.

Here are the numbers for my 2020 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab Standard bed.

While it’s not a 1 ton, it has quite a bit more payload than a 1/2 ton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F924B54-35FD-4DDC-8E4E-58F3D498B912.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	35467   Click image for larger version

Name:	F2DD2A3B-5A10-477F-AD77-F3E7F7C223C9.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	35468  

2020 Chevrolet 2500HD LT/Z71 4X4 6.6L Gasser CC
2021 Cougar Half-Ton 22RDS