Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Fifth Wheel Hitch Came Apart

I just sold my Splendide washer/dryer combo yesterday and the guy came over with his '17 RAM dually to pick it up. I saw this HUGE hitch in the rear of his bed and commented that it was a slider and he had an 8' box, why I asked.

He said that he pulls fifth wheel with a trailer behind with his Harley and Jeep on the trailer. Seemed a bit of a load, but I didn't question him much on it. He said that was the hitch he had on a previous vehicle.

He "had" a later model F-350 1 ton dually and had the latest and greatest hitch put on it and while pulling his setup, the hitch came apart and when bye bye while driving and totaled the truck and RV setup.

The hitch was the same as mine, a B&W 20k# Companion in a Ford with the Ford puck system. He said that the two upper retaining pins broke and the hitch head came up and off while driving which in turn totaled his entire rig. So the new hitch in his RAM is even larger, still doesn't explain the slider in an 8' box.

I showed him the one in my new '21 F-350 and he said exactly like that...

I told him that I found it hard to believe that with probably around 4k# pin weight that the upper hitch would raise up over 6" to come off the urethane blocks and separate from the base hitch. But he said that's exactly what happened.

I find it nearly impossible that the trailer behind could exert enough counterbalance weight to the rear of the fifth wheel to overcome the pin weight.

I don't think he was feeding me a line of s*#t, but something is just not right with the incident in my mind.

Has anyone ever heard of a B&W upper hitch assembly raising up off the urethane blocks during a tow? Again, he said it happened and I was not going to get all the information clearly from him. But he pointed to the two 3/8" pins that are hairpinned in place to hold on the upper hitch plate assembly. He said they BROKE releasing the upper assembly to go on its merry way. 4k# pin box weight and it lifted...

It seems like one of those tall tails that get told at a drunken campfire one cold fall night.

Anyone know of this incident or how this could possibly happen?
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
Javi

Frankly I can't see those pins breaking since the force would have to be straight up and immense in tonnage.
There are several ways I could see the hitch failing but that isn't one of them.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
xrated

Dang, now I'm sorry I bought the tiny little 25K B&W Companion....anyone know if they make a 50K Companion?

Seriously though, I cannot imagine that happening.....but I'm no hitch expert either.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
jasin1

Found this after a search…. Another companion unit…doesn’t sound like anything wrong with the companion hitch..possibly the pin didn’t break but the pin holders separated after a defensive driving rollover accident https://roadslesstraveled.us/fifth-w...hiker-trailer/

Seems it kept the truck from rolling over as well

The guy the op talked to may be reciting his official story he gave the insurance company in his particular accident
Old 08-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

I've always been concerned the weak point in a Companion, Andersen , and similar hitches is the gooseneck ball and the single pin holding it in the B&W Turnover ball.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I've always been concerned the weak point in a Companion, Andersen , and similar hitches is the gooseneck ball and the single pin holding it in the B&W Turnover ball.
I thought about before but believe the op scenario involved the factory puck system…but the link I posted has the goose ball connector it looks like
Old 08-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
gearhead

I'm not a metallurgist, but worked with them. I have no idea what the shear value of a hitch pin is, but probably pretty high. But...those "L" shaped pins feel soft to me. I also have no idea if there is any oversight on the manufacturing process or specs for the pins. I could believe about anything.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I thought about before but believe the op scenario involved the factory puck system…but the link I posted has the goose ball connector it looks like
Yes his issue was completely different it just brought to mind a concern I've had over a lot depending on a single pin. Sorry for the confusion.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm not a metallurgist, but worked with them. I have no idea what the shear value of a hitch pin is, but probably pretty high. But...those "L" shaped pins feel soft to me. I also have no idea if there is any oversight on the manufacturing process or specs for the pins. I could believe about anything.
If you look at how the pins are configured in the hitch there is only one direction that shear force could be applied to them and that would be straight up. The saddles of the hitch head surround the uprights and the pins are there keep it from lifting.
As another observation the Reese 5th wheel and probably others utilized the same type of pins for the same purpose.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #10
travelin texans

To keep everything straight it sounds like he told you the same rehearsed story he told his insurance company when he left those pins out after greasing the bushings under the tilt head.
IMHO there's absolutely no way that head could've lifted enough to shear those pins under normal driving conditions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
To keep everything straight it sounds like he told you the same rehearsed story he told his insurance company when he left those pins out after greasing the bushings under the tilt head.
IMHO there's absolutely no way that head could've lifted enough to shear those pins under normal driving conditions.
Even then, can you imagine the bump he had to hit just to lift the hitch off the base. I'd come closer to believing a high hitch or he forgot to lock the jaws and dropped the trailer.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #12
notanlines

I’m buying the high hitch idea. Voice of high hitch experience here.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
Vinnie

Explain to me, "high hitch"

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post

Perhaps when they back up onto the puck, it isn't getting to where it needs to be? There have been threads where this happened and the person drove off and the camper dropped down onto the tailgate. I am not a hitch expert and use an Andersen Ultimate. The pins in that hitch are stout and I can't imagine an upward force that could shear one.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #15
Campy

I don't know but have seen some really crazy sh*t coming in and out of campgrounds. Some people can actually tear up a cast iron skillet so anything is possible...
Old 08-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Basically, it is what it sounds like... the pin did not get into the jaws or even sat on top of the jaws... more common than most will admit. Happens pretty easily if you don't set the pin box below the hitch and climb up the ramp into the hitch.

Same with forgetting to lock the drawbar and the jaws open as you get up to speed..

The main reason you see old folks like me do a hard test pull before raising the landing gear and pulling the chocks... and then a last walk-around before a light check... then as pulling out of the site... a hard tap of the brake controller. paddle... as a last check
Old 08-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #17
Vinnie

Good info- thanks!

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Basically, it is what it sounds like... the pin did not get into the jaws or even sat on top of the jaws... more common than most will admit. Happens pretty easily if you don't set the pin box below the hitch and climb up the ramp into the hitch.

Same with forgetting to lock the drawbar and the jaws open as you get up to speed..

The main reason you see old folks like me do a hard test pull before raising the landing gear and pulling the chocks... and then a last walk-around before a light check... then as pulling out of the site... a hard tap of the brake controller. paddle... as a last check
I always do the pull test but haven’t tried the hard tap of the brake controller..will add that to the checklist
Old 08-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #19
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I’m buying the high hitch idea. Voice of high hitch experience here.
But, with a Companion, there would be no way to lock the jaws if you high hitch unless it’s so high you don’t even have the pin in the jaws, which would be extremely unlikely to miss seeing. Having a Companion, I just don’t see how that could possibly happen with the way you lock the jaws.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
But, with a Companion, there would be no way to lock the jaws if you high hitch unless it’s so high you don’t even have the pin in the jaws, which would be extremely unlikely to miss seeing. Having a Companion, I just don’t see how that could possibly happen with the way you lock the jaws.
I also have a 25k Companion and the design with the jaws makes it less likely but still possible. I backed under the pin box on a steep side to side angle and the jaws shut. I almost put the pin in but it didn't feel right so I went to the back and looked. Pin was on top of the jaws..
Opened the jaws, pulled out from under the pin box and fiddled with the landing gear to get the trailer closer to level with the truck.
Which is a challenge with the hydraulic level up system because you have no individual control over the landing gear. The auto level will raise or lower the jacks to level the trailer side to side but only if you are using the rear jacks too.

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch