Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
bsmith143

Charging problem on 30 amp only

We have a 2020 Keystone BH 34' that has 50 amp power. We have noticed that when we are hooked up to 30 amp power the battery does not charge and eventually goes dead after about 24 hours. The battery seems to charge just fine when we are on 50 amp shore power and even charges fine when we are only on 20 amp power. Also the battery charges fine when driving down the road. I first thought it was a bad battery and replaced the battery. All cable connections are clean and I can't find a blown fuse. Is this a converter problem? Any ideas ? Thanks.
bsmith143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
bobbecky

This sounds like an adapter problem. If the adapter or dogbone is wired properly, the one hotleg coming from the 30 amp will be split to the two legs of the 50 amp shore cable so both legs are energized and will operated the converter. If you have an ohm meter or a multimeter with ohm functions, you can test your adapter. The prong on the 30 amp male end that plugs into the hot terminal will have continuity to both the 50 amp hot terminals on the 50 amp female end of the adapter. If only one of the 50 amp female terminals has continuity, you will need to get a different adapter.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree with the above. Sure sounds like a bad adapter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

The converter doesn't "know" what amperage outlet the camper is plugged into. It either has 120 vac or it doesn't. Apperently from your description when plugged into the 50A to 30A adapter it does not.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Well, just got back to town but yep.....I agree^^^ - sounds like the adapter.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #6
spicercars

I will also say the adapter.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
Applerac1

Same issue

I also have a Cougar 2020 29BHS (34’) 50amp and it has the same problem when we have used a dogbone adapter to use 30amp shore power and the battery will not stay charged and drains. It seems to work fine on 50 amp shore power. I’ve had to keep it plugged into my truck while running all night to keep the battery from draining and a loud beep from sounding. The rear a/c is also not turning on again but the front a/c will work. I’ve tried them individually, not at the same time. This is literally the same repeat problem from August 2020. I took it to Camping World and after it initially had these issues and after explaining the issues in detail, was told it was fixed. We were able to camp on 50 amp shore power up until today when we could only get a 30amp and the same problem has occurred. I’ve never had so many issues with anything I bought brand new. These are just two of the many issues we’ve had. I’ve literally had to make a service visit after nearly every camping trip. I’ve also had the battery tested and it’s fine. No obvious issues at the fuse box. It’s not the 30 to 50 dogbone adapter, tried more than one. Is the camper I bought brand new a lemon or did it really not get fixed right when I took it in for repairs? It’s conveniently out of warranty now but I was told if the same problem that happened before and was fixed under warranty occurs again within a certain timeframe, then they’ll fix it again as if it were still under warranty. I just want it to work as I was told it would on 30 or 50 amp. Any recommendations?
Applerac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
Applerac1

Have you had any resolution of the issue with a different dogbone 30 to 50 adapter, or anything else?
Old 10-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

You need to test the L1 and L2 voltage in the distribution center. Both should have 120 volts. If not you most likely have a bad adapter.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Some 30 to 50 amp "dogbone adapters" isolate one leg of the voltage input to the trailer.

In other words, you plug into the 30 amp plug and it connects to L1 or L2 on the 50 amp plug. The other leg is not connected. So when the power gets to your "power center main breaker panel" it provides power to the leg that is energized and does not provide power to the leg that is isolated.... What that means "in english" is that only half your power center circuit breakers are getting power. If the converter is on the "other half" then your battery will not receive a charge from the converter and when the battery dies, the lights go dim as does the furnace and anything else that's "powered by 12 volts".....

The problem is likely your "dogbone adapter"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:03 AM   #11
bsmith143

Yep. I just had a bad adapter.
bsmith143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:29 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith143 View Post
Thanks for returning and updating us.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:30 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some 30 to 50 amp "dogbone adapters" isolate one leg of the voltage input to the trailer.

In other words, you plug into the 30 amp plug and it connects to L1 or L2 on the 50 amp plug. The other leg is not connected. So when the power gets to your "power center main breaker panel" it provides power to the leg that is energized and does not provide power to the leg that is isolated.... What that means "in english" is that only half your power center circuit breakers are getting power. If the converter is on the "other half" then your battery will not receive a charge from the converter and when the battery dies, the lights go dim as does the furnace and anything else that's "powered by 12 volts".....

The problem is likely your "dogbone adapter"...
John, I have never heard of a 30 to 50 amp dog bone adapter that would only supply one leg to the 50 amp end. What would be the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith143 View Post
This is what I figured your issue was, a bad Dog Bone.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
John, I have never heard of a 30 to 50 amp dog bone adapter that would only supply one leg to the 50 amp end. What would be the purpose.
There is no "purpose" for that type adapter (other than cheap building process by the manufacturer). Why do people buy "irregular Tee shirts with one arm missing" ??? but they're in every outlet mall.....

Most times, as probably in this one, it was a "bad adapter" where the probable cause was a bad connection on the jumper from L1 to L2 ... There have been somewhere around 4 or 5 threads in the past 5 years about this same "issue with my dogbone".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I suspect if the folks that have these faulty adapters just bought 10 of them and then read the hot leads with a meter they would find many of them faulty...ie; just like TK tires. Whatever they are using as a jumper between those legs is not connecting to the other for whatever reason.

For Applerac1 I would suggest that as well; take the meter and read those hot leads - one will be dead. As was said in another post somewhere, that converter has NO idea what kind of shore power you are plugged into; 15vac, 30vac or 50vac, all it knows is if it has voltage to it or not. This is NOT a manufacturer problem nor a dealer problem in reality. If you have power to the converter on 50A the unit as sold to you is working properly. If you add a bunch of owner installed options and they fail it has nothing to do with anything or anyone other than the person that installed it.

I've bought lots of adapters and there is a HUGE difference in the way they are made, most times you can see it and the others you can definitely feel it. The problem comes when folks don't know a good one from a bad one - they're just supposed to do what they're supposed to do. Unfortunately, as in so many other things these days, some don't.

Edit: The part in red above is obviously incorrect. Pulled my head out. The reference was to "amps" not voltage.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #16
Applerac1

Bad adapter replaced

I went to Camping World and bought a new Camco adapter. The other adapter was also a Camco brand. To my amazement, the replacement adapter actually worked and the battery is staying charged on shore power and the rear a/c is working. Thank you for the input.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
Falcon67

Quote:
.. they're just supposed to do what they're supposed to do. Unfortunately, as in so many other things these days, some don't.
LOL, in spades. I'm a network person and we just trouble shot a new security camera install here. Camera powered up, no signal back to the server. After checking all the "big end complicated things" for a couple of hours we finally replaced the patch cable that covered the last 10' of run. Not your Best Buy/Walmart type but a $$ Comscope certified patch cord. Yep, that was it. Those grade of cables are "never" bad. Well...
Old 10-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #18
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've bought lots of adapters and there is a HUGE difference in the way they are made, most times you can see it and the others you can definitely feel it. The problem comes when folks don't know a good one from a bad one - they're just supposed to do what they're supposed to do. Unfortunately, as in so many other things these days, some don't.
Count me as one of those folks that doesn’t know a good one from a bad one. My current rig is 30 amps so never had to deal with the adapters (other than occasionally using the 30 to 15 adapter). New rig I’m getting (eventually… hopefully) is 50 amp. Any recommendations for those of us who don’t know the good from bad on which adapter to get? Certain brand? Or just what to look for?

This is good info. Something I never would’ve thought of… until some point in the future when I had the problem and came here for help.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Count me as one of those folks that doesn’t know a good one from a bad one. My current rig is 30 amps so never had to deal with the adapters (other than occasionally using the 30 to 15 adapter). New rig I’m getting (eventually… hopefully) is 50 amp. Any recommendations for those of us who don’t know the good from bad on which adapter to get? Certain brand? Or just what to look for?

This is good info. Something I never would’ve thought of… until some point in the future when I had the problem and came here for help.
All my adapters are Marinco. Some are 10+ years old and I've never had one go bad... I have had pitting on connectors from a bad/loose campground plug, so even the best adapters will "show wear". That's not, IMO, failure, but rather use/abuse... My money is on the bright yellow brand: Marinco.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Why do people buy "irregular Tee shirts with one arm missing" ??? but they're in every outlet mall.....
Tat pride!