Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
cpfullback

Opinion on Rear Kitchen versus Rear Lounge

Hello,

I am new to this forum. We've had three travel trailers in the past and the wife and I are now looking for our first fifth wheel. We're looking at late model used in the 32-33' range. Currently we have our eyes on a 2006 Everest 293P. It's a rear kitchen design. We like the rear kitchen layout in a double-slide configuration but we have heard some stories of those rigs really getting bouncy in the rear end and causing problems with cargo, cabinets and even counter tops. We're trying to separate some fact from fiction and thought I'd ask anyone out there who has experience with rear kitchen Keystone products what their experience has been good or bad.

By the way, my tow vehicle is a Ford F350 with 7.3L diesel, 4x4 Long Bed with an RBW Lil Rocker hitch.

Thanks Everyone
cpfullback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Ron

We had an 04 Keystone Challenger 29rkp (rear kitchen) and we use to like to carry glass dinner ware until we went over some railroad tracks and yep all dishes, cups were broken. That was our first and last rear kitchen trailer. Just my 2 cents worth............Happy Campin.................Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

We have a rear kitchen 5th and really like it! Yes, we did break some dishes on one trip but since then have learned how to better pack our cupboards and have had no accidents since. Having the dishes in the back does mean that we have had to make some minor adjustments but these changes have not been a nuisance. I haven't noticed any signs of cupboards, drawers or countertops "coming apart" , being damaged, split or broken.
I think it is a matter of personal preference -- some people are not at all taken with a rear kitchen. We liked the layout and the floorplan so we went with that and have been very happy with that decision.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
rjsurfer

Love the rear kitchen and haven't lost a plate or cup yet, rear kitchen also gives you more counter space.

I have been in a few campers with the lounge in the rear and every owner complained about the huge rear window creating an issue with heating and cooling. The rear area is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If there was a way to get an insulated rear window that would be the answer.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Both of our 5ers have been rear kitchen. With almost 40,000 mi. only had one drawer and one cabinet open with not one dish casualty. Every floor-plan has it's good and bad points. Choose the one that fits your family best and go camping. Welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
hankaye

cpfullback, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum...

I also have a rear kitchen. Buy some of the unbreakable stuff.
Pack carefully. Applies to ALL trailers.
I appericate the feeling of extra roomyness that the rear kitchen option provides. I also like that I can access the fridg, microwave and sink even when the slide is "IN". Nice to be able to use the galley while stopping for a break. But that's just my opinion. You should choose what is comfortable for you and your family. Everyone's opinions count! As DW will most likely spend more intimate time dealing with the everyday workings of the kitchen and it's layout I (personal opinion again), would allow her thoughts to carry some amount of extra weight... (If the cook ain't Happy ...noone be Happy).

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
mikell

I have a year round campground in Michigan and know of issues with freezing with rear kitchens. But when it gets -20 something is probably going to freeze somewhere anyway. Avoid Michigan in Feburary and you'll be fine
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
cpfullback

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.

The Everest 293P we're looking at seems to have its weight distributed a little differently than most we've seen. I've that read the RV industry likes to see an average of between 15-20% of the overall unladen trailer weight on the pin. The Everest has more like 26%, the coach unladen weight is 9850 and the pin weight is 2520. I'm wondering if Keystone designed it this way to try and move more weight over the axles to compensate for the heavier rear end of the RK model? Any opinions on whether a heavier pin weight might make bouncing in the rear of an RK coach any more or less?

If this is getting off topic let me know and I could start a different thread.
cpfullback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
LarryL

think about when you eat outside have to carry everything through the
living area to get outside.
I have a 326MKS Cougar big kitchen you can go strait out the door to the outside
The weight is the same as the Everest
and it has a big back window we just keep the shade down when the sun
shining in a/c summer heater winter problem solved.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
gr8330

We have a rear kitchen and love all the room. I also have the trail-Ail suspension which gives me a better ride and the cost for it was low.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote